What's new

The Altar of Juwan Morgan

Couldn't wait to see a **** analysis from JCF
He played mostly well. That drop under the rim hurt. I wonder if he is going to play against more traditional teams or if this is just a matchup option. Either way I'm glad Snyder is finally using him in scenarios where it makes logical sense to not play Tony Bradley.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app

Morgan Brantley and Oni I am almost sure will be. Morgan may be the most vanilla of the group but if he develops his shot a bit he could also be the small ball 5 every team wants.

Not a fan of Tucker... seems like a smaller, less skilled AB. JWF is interesting but small... he will likely be a g league guy and gets some stints. Might be a guy that floats around and gets some action in a couple places like Trey Burke. NWG should have already been sent packing. Poor man's Neto and not nearly as good looking.

I get tired of this “diamond in the rough” mentality. We have 4-5 guys on our playoff roster who probably wouldn’t make other teams playoff rosters. It’s so frustrating. Why not add other minimum contract guys who have NBA playoff experience? Green didn’t workout, why not try someone else?
Also, every year there are highly recruited guys from Kentucky, Arizona, Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc who go undrafted ie Gabriel Wenyen. I think we should focus on them rather than small school juniors and seniors.

I get tired of this “diamond in the rough” mentality. We have 4-5 guys on our playoff roster who probably wouldn’t make other teams playoff rosters. It’s so frustrating. Why not add other minimum contract guys who have NBA playoff experience? Green didn’t workout, why not try someone else?
Also, every year there are highly recruited guys from Kentucky, Arizona, Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc who go undrafted ie Gabriel Wenyen. I think we should focus on them rather than small school juniors and seniors.
Lmao shut up

Yeah I mean we are built on diamonds in the rough and got beat by a team that found diamonds in the rough but Wenyen Gabriel was micd up last night so .... WTF YOU DOING DL!

My biggest issue is that we aren’t playing Brantley or Oni and we should be. Oni’s shot in the bubble has looked quick and clean... his defense will be better than Mudiay. Brantley has a little “imma **** **** up” to him that could disrupt another team and flip a game or two... he’d likely make some mistakes but I don’t think they’d be Exum nuclear mistakes.

Yeah I mean we are built on diamonds in the rough and got beat by a team that found diamonds in the rough but Wenyen Gabriel was micd up last night so .... WTF YOU DOING DL!

My biggest issue is that we aren’t playing Brantley or Oni and we should be. Oni’s shot in the bubble has looked quick and clean... his defense will be better than Mudiay. Brantley has a little “imma **** **** up” to him that could disrupt another team and flip a game or two... he’d likely make some mistakes but I don’t think they’d be Exum nuclear mistakes.

I watched the Blazers feed so I don’t know what you’re talking about with the mic’d up stuff. Your sarcasm isn’t lost on me, though I would argue exceptions are not the rule and it applies to basketball players.
I’m not saying there are no diamonds in the rough and we’ve been lucky with some of our picks, but I believe we put too effort much into that way of thinking. I have no problem with Oni and Brantley or even Morgan, if they’ve shown good potential or whatever. But I’ve soured on the Niang, JWF and NWG experiments and would rather have replaced them with cheap veterans. To me 6 projects for one team, plus Bradley and Mudiay is a lot.

I watched the Blazers feed so I don’t know what you’re talking about with the mic’d up stuff. Your sarcasm isn’t lost on me, though I would argue exceptions are not the rule and it applies to basketball players.
I’m not saying there are no diamonds in the rough and we’ve been lucky with some of our picks, but I believe we put too effort much into that way of thinking. I have no problem with Oni and Brantley or even Morgan, if they’ve shown good potential or whatever. But I’ve soured on the Niang, JWF and NWG experiments and would rather have replaced them with cheap veterans. To me 6 projects for one team, plus Bradley and Mudiay is a lot.
I will agree with the last point... and did so early in the season. It was kind of funny... I wanted us to have some of these projects year before last and then they went too far on the spectrum. Would have been nice to pickup Marvin Williams or another guy off the scrap heap. At this point though I think I have seen enough from Brantley, Morgan, and Oni that I want to see them in the rotation next year. That is the bigger issue is that we didn't really use these guys much so we don't know what we have. If you are going to have experiments then you need to you know... experiment with them. JWF and Brantley are two way guys so nbd. NWG was always the one I didn't understand at all.

Niang is fine to have on the roster. We are using him too much right now but he's a serviceable regular season guy... if he is your 10/11 guy you need to use for 10-15 games because of injury then I think he's solid. I think we have to look at what we need with our fringe bench guys on a night by night basis and if TB is our backup center then he needs defensive help... Niang, TB, JC, Mudiay ain't gonna stop my rec league team.

I will agree with the last point... and did so early in the season. It was kind of funny... I wanted us to have some of these projects year before last and then they went too far on the spectrum. Would have been nice to pickup Marvin Williams or another guy off the scrap heap. At this point though I think I have seen enough from Brantley, Morgan, and Oni that I want to see them in the rotation next year. That is the bigger issue is that we didn't really use these guys much so we don't know what we have. If you are going to have experiments then you need to you know... experiment with them. JWF and Brantley are two way guys so nbd. NWG was always the one I didn't understand at all.

Niang is fine to have on the roster. We are using him too much right now but he's a serviceable regular season guy... if he is your 10/11 guy you need to use for 10-15 games because of injury then I think he's solid. I think we have to look at what we need with our fringe bench guys on a night by night basis and if TB is our backup center then he needs defensive help... Niang, TB, JC, Mudiay ain't gonna stop my rec league team.
My frustrations with our lack of experimentation in real games boiled over this year. At the beginning of the year, it was obvious that we were going to struggle on defense and rebounding—and that we were, in general, lacking physicality. Now I know these youngsters needed some seasoning in the g-league and practices, but I think it’s uber safe to criticize the FO and coaching staff for not finding them some significant experience before now. No skipping steps, though, even if you might be sitting on exactly what you need. Gotta get Bradley all these reps. Gotta ride-or-die with Niang. Oni gotta be deep behind Mudiay in ALL matchups.

lmao

Yes, pls more Jeff Green's and Ed Davis's on this team.

My frustrations with our lack of experimentation in real games boiled over this year. At the beginning of the year, it was obvious that we were going to struggle on defense and rebounding—and that we were, in general, lacking physicality. Now I know these youngsters needed some seasoning in the g-league and practices, but I think it’s uber safe to criticize the FO and coaching staff for not finding them some significant experience before now. No skipping steps, though, even if you might be sitting on exactly what you need. Gotta get Bradley all these reps. Gotta ride-or-die with Niang. Oni gotta be deep behind Mudiay in ALL matchups.
At some point with Niang I just feel like we knew what we had and that would be there.... now we gonna try Morgan, Brantley, Oni a little... TB got much better during the season imo... I won't fault us for not trying Morgan in spite of my sig.

So you think that energy should be spent on... simply manifesting blue-chip talent by... wishing?

I’m curious how you think this all works. Because everyone wants blue-chippers but:
1) there are only so many
2) more of them wash out than succeed

So you think that energy should be spent on... simply manifesting blue-chip talent by... wishing?

I’m curious how you think this all works. Because everyone wants blue-chippers but:
I think I get where he's going. We needed one or two more surefire rotation players to mix in with the projects. Problem is we shot that wad at Ed and Jeff and they let us down in a big way. We prolly could have retained Ekpe and then used our exception on different guys. Think how different the season would be had we signed Richaun Holmes instead of Ed.

Nope. You read way into what I’m saying. Drafting, player development, etc is a crapshoot in many regards. However, there are reasons guys are considered blue chip and others aren’t. I believe our development of players is good to great. Why not take the guys with the blue-chip measurements and develop them?

With money not really being an issue, I’d much rather work on and put effort into fixing a potential Ferrari or Porsche or Range Rover, etc than a Camry or an Accord, which aren’t bad cars, but the ceiling isn’t as high for them in my opinion.

I’m not completely against small school juniors and seniors and/G league diamonds, I’d rather see our development team work with more blue chippers.

I’m a big Seattle Seahawks fan and their draft philosophy for defensive backs is draft athletic, tall, fast guys 6’2” or so and teach them the position the way they want it played, even if they were a wide receiver or other position. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t, but when it works the DB’s are formidable.

It seems like you definitely did.
I was definitely intrigued and pleased but not sure how they’d fit in. It could have worked out really well, but it didn’t, just like any free agent signing. I thought the Davis deal was too much.