What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

And yet he was still able to buy guns much easier than any of us can register to vote. What a country!
I've bought guns and I've registered to vote. It was significantly easier to register to vote and didn't involve a fee.

I'm all for real talk, I'm not going to nod along with falsehoods and misrepresentations.

I've bought guns and I've registered to vote. It was significantly easier to register to vote and didn't involve a fee.

I'm all for real talk, I'm not going to nod along with falsehoods and misrepresentations.
Nope. Registering to vote can be much harder, especially if you don’t own a car or your license has an old address. It’s bull **** **** how easy it is to obtain guns. The whole pt that a deranged animal like this was able to obtain them just speaks volumes. I’m sick to death of this topic. So at this pt, I’m sort of relieved that this nut isn’t here to threaten my family in Utah county anymore. **** the guns

About 10 years ago I had to take a half day off work to get to the dmv. I had to schedule it 3ish weeks in advance to get my license updated in order to register to vote. I could right now click a few times on my phone and find a gun and get it by the weekend.

Last edited:
Nope. Registering to vote can be much harder, especially if you don’t own a car or your license has an old address. It’s bull **** **** how easy it is to obtain guns. The whole pt that a deranged animal like this was able to obtain them just speaks volumes. I’m sick to death of this topic.
GTFO

How are you going to buy a gun if you can't drive to the gun store or gun show? How are you going to pass the background check if you don't have an ID?

You have a winning argument here overall in regard to gun violence, but you're being flat out dishonest (either through ignorance or intent) on the relative ease of buying a gun vs registering to vote. I've done both multiple times. Registering to vote is at least a couple orders of magnitude easier than buying a gun and doing the mandatory background check... plus the fee. Plus the fact that guns are expensive.

There are advocacy groups to help people register to vote. There are gun rights groups to preserve your right to buy a gun, but they aren't going to hold your hand or cover any of your expenses in doing so.

Learn when to admit when you've overstepped on your rhetoric one damn time bro.

GTFO

How are you going to buy a gun if you can't drive to the gun store or gun show? How are you going to pass the background check if you don't have an ID?

You have a winning argument here overall in regard to gun violence, but you're being flat out dishonest (either through ignorance or intent) on the relative ease of buying a gun vs registering to vote. I've done both multiple times. Registering to vote is at least a couple orders of magnitude easier than buying a gun and doing the mandatory background check... plus the fee. Plus the fact that guns are expensive.

There are advocacy groups to help people register to vote. There are gun rights groups to preserve your right to buy a gun, but they aren't going to hold your hand or cover any of your expenses in doing so.

Because friends and family don’t exist? Because Uber doesn’t exist? Because old licenses don’t exist? Because background checks are always performed? Hmmm

Speaking from my experience 10 years ago, I couldn’t register to vote in my district and vote for people in my district bc my license had the old address. In order to register and vote for people in my district, I had to get a new license or drive several counties over and register there (but be limited to only being able to vote for people there). A license that was much harder to get than finding some private dumbass who’d sell me a gun. Look at this from different perspectives.

We need gun reform so much in this country. We’re literally killing each other over this issue because we have too much of a cultural fetish over making guns as easy as possible to obtain.

Because friends and family don’t exist? Because Uber doesn’t exist? Because old licenses don’t exist? Because background checks are always performed? Hmmm

Speaking from my experience 10 years ago, I couldn’t register to vote in my district and vote for people in my district bc my license had the old address. In order to register and vote for people in my district, I had to get a new license or drive several counties over and register there (but be limited to only being able to vote for people there). A license that was much harder to get than finding some private dumbass who’d sell me a gun. Look at this from different perspectives.

We need gun reform so much in this country. We’re literally killing each other over this issue because we have too much of a cultural fetish over making guns as easy as possible to obtain.
Are you making an argument for how easy it is to register to vote?

You can't use an expired ID to do the background check.

I'm done man. You can't just say "oh yeah, I exaggerated a bit there, my bad." I fell like I'm having a petty argument with my wife right now so I'm out.

Are you making an argument for how easy it is to register to vote?

You can't use an expired ID to do the background check.

I'm done man. You can't just say "oh yeah, I exaggerated a bit there, my bad." I fell like I'm having a petty argument with my wife right now so I'm out.
Who said it was expired? It had my old address but it hadn’t expired. You can’t change the address online, you have to physically do it at the DMV. https://dld.utah.gov/adult-replacement/

Cuz background checks are always done? No gun is ever sold in this country without a background check…

This is where emotions get the best of us. Let’s look at this objectively.

1. When living in Sandy I could’ve driven 10 mins down to any sporting good store, showed my old (but still valid) driver’s license, easily passed the background check, and purchased guns. I’d have them by the weekend if I did this today.

2. To register to vote? I would had to:
a) sign up for an appointment at the DMV and obtain a new license with my new address so I could then register to vote. DMVs nearby had a 2 week wait period and my appointment was in the middle of the day. Once I got my license I could register. This is the process I went though. Then I waited in line to vote at the firehouse above Dimple Dell for 30 mins.
b) Driven a few counties over and registered to vote using my old license (old residence) but been limited to only vote for candidates in the area that I no longer lived in.

Both of these were much harder than just driving down 10 mins from our basement apartment near the Dimple Dell Rec Center to ****ing Scheels. I could’ve walked, biked, or ubered to Scheels.

Last edited:
I would say its typically easier to register to vote than it is to buy a gun. The majority of the time its easier to register to vote than buy a gun. What thriller is doing is giving an example of one of those times (exceptions) when its easier to buy a gun than it is to register to vote.

I think most of us agree that its too easy to get guns in this country. Most of us agree there are too many guns. Most of us agree that this dude shouldn’t have had guns.

But its still easier to register to vote than it is to buy a gun for most people most of the time.

GTFO

This.

I have registered to vote in 5 different states, from deep red to deep blue. I have purchased guns in 3 states. Deep red states are easier to buy a gun, generally, than deep blue, but I have never failed to walk away from voter registration without my registration card same day, I have never walked away from a gun shop with my gun same day. In fact the last few gun purchases I have done have been mostly online so I didn't have to make multiple trips to my gun shop.

There are definitely holes in the process, such as gun shows and private gun sales, but when comparing government requirements specifically for the 2 activities, voter registration is far and away the easier and more efficient process, over buying a gun. No comparison at all really and frankly a completely losing argument when arguing over either gun control or voter registration.

I will say in one way I lean a little more conservative is I am generally in favor of some kind of voter registration process. I believe 2 things about it: 1) we need to make it MUCH MUCH easier to get a government ID, and I do support some kind of residency requirement in the state in which we are voting, such as we do for driver's licenses, but much easier, such as bring any piece of mail or a check stub or slip from clergy like tithing slip, or registration for your kid in school with your name on it, I mean damn near anything showing you live at that address where you claim you do, hell a ticket issued by a police officer for jaywalking in which he writes your address on it, whatever, just something that might require 1 single other step, or at least that you have gone to the trouble to get something that shows that, even if it's fakes and this last part is because of number 2) we have some of the most secure and fair elections on the planet. We have such a low incident of voter fraud of any kind that even the mere mention of it sends the entire country into a complete tail-spin. Go to Venezuela and mention voter fraud and, if you don't get arrested first, no one will bat an eye. Mostly because they don't want to get arrested. But I do not have an issue with some level of registration to vote.

Tangential to that, I also think we need to DRAMATICALLY make it easier to enter the country legally and provide a clear and delineated path for people to reasonably take, for every level. Whether as a seasonal worker, or on a "green card", or to get married, or to just move here and try to start a life. There needs to be a way to do this without as much red tape in order to stop getting people killed because moving here is still a better option despite the fact that most people won't make it over the border and those that do face often immediate deportation, or confinement for months on end. Has anyone stopped to think about what this really means for these families? It is that the known outcomes, being separated from family, possibly losing children forever over it, or being indefinitely detained in horrible conditions, or dying en route, which is a huge risk, or being deported and having to endure all that again, IS ****ING BETTER THAN THEIR ALTERNATIVES.

Man we have fallen a ****ing long way from "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses" as any kind of ideal. I am starting to think we have lost the ideals that made us a great country, and a beacon to other nations. We are now become more of a spot-light advertising a sale at a ****** crooked used-car dealership in ****you USA.

I mean, I see what The Thriller is saying. Registering to vote might require an annoying visit to the DMV in certain cases, while you can just buy a gun from a private seller immediately and with no strings attached. Most of the time, registering to vote is easier. But both are very easy, and I think it's such a trivial thing to argue over.

I mean, I see what The Thriller is saying. Registering to vote might require an annoying visit to the DMV in certain cases, while you can just buy a gun from a private seller immediately and with no strings attached. Most of the time, registering to vote is easier. But both are very easy, and I think it's such a trivial thing to argue over.
I don't think there is anything trivial about calling out falsehoods and inaccuracies. Many of the trolls accuse "us" of having a hive mind mentality and being super ultra liberal, communists, Marxists, and well... much worse.

There is no one single perspective dominating these forums. There are a small number of people who are so far to an extreme that pretty much no one agrees with anything they say, but once you back away from that small group you can see many different points of view and real differences in how we see the world.

Not to overdramatize it but it's like a situation where a police officer is doing something wrong but none of the other officers dare speak up. That just ultimately leads to corruption and abuse.

So when Thriller makes a pretty outrageous claim that it's easier to get a gun then to register to vote I'm certainly going to voice my experience that is not in concert with his. He didn't say "it can be easier" or "in extreme cases it might be easier" but just a statement made as an absolute that getting a gun is easier than registering to vote.

I don't think there is anything trivial about calling out falsehoods and inaccuracies. Many of the trolls accuse "us" of having a hive mind mentality and being super ultra liberal, communists, Marxists, and well... much worse.

There is no one single perspective dominating these forums. There are a small number of people who are so far to an extreme that pretty much no one agrees with anything they say, but once you back away from that small group you can see many different points of view and real differences in how we see the world.

Not to overdramatize it but it's like a situation where a police officer is doing something wrong but none of the other officers dare speak up. That just ultimately leads to corruption and abuse.

So when Thriller makes a pretty outrageous claim that it's easier to get a gun then to register to vote I'm certainly going to voice my experience that is not in concert with his. He didn't say "it can be easier" or "in extreme cases it might be easier" but just a statement made as an absolute that getting a gun is easier than registering to vote.

Being ultra-liberal, communist, Marxist, etc, breaks from the mainstream and is anything but hive-mind mentality. I would actually like too see more such perspectives presented, but I imagine they would be met with hostility.

But ultimately, I don't disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with calling out misinformation, and The Thriller's argument did feel talking-pointy.

Who said it was expired? It had my old address but it hadn’t expired. You can’t change the address online, you have to physically do it at the DMV. https://dld.utah.gov/adult-replacement/
In Illinois, you are expected to change the address on your license within 30 days (IIRC) of when you move. Maybe Utah is different, but I would consider this part of the cost of moving, not of registering to vote.

I would add that I think JF is a microcosm of the damage these extremists are doing in society as a whole., troll or not They are so vocal and so damaging, stooping to anything to get their point shouted in as many faces as possible, that the silent majority remains just that, silent. Good luck trying to be a somewhat moderate republican, or even one that might support Trump yet still maintains some semblence of reason, and trying to engage on a conversation here where the pool has been peed in repeatedly. They would fear being lumped in with extremists like that, and most likely just not engage. We ask where the reasonable republicans are and frankly I am certain we have plenty of those all across the political spectrum, but they don't want to risk engaging with the extremists or being accused of being part and parcel with them. So they remain silent. This is happening all over the place, tbpfhwymf. Anyone who says "well I believe in secure borders and in funding the police", meaning they think it would be good to have a reasonable way to enter the country and that police perform an important function, gets shouted down immediately as a fascist and supporting racist murderers. So I am not surprised at all that we don't have very many republicans coming forward at all. Most of the posters who still discuss these things are left-leaning at the very least. I even consider myself to be left-leaning, while I still hold some conservative views. The trolls have peed in the pool enough on the conservative side that no other conservatives want to swim in it, or very few at least.

I am grateful for @Bucknutz and @Douchebag K for staying in the convo and engaging in conversation bringing up the counter-points, regardless of if we all agree. I wish more would engage in it, like @colton and whatever franklin changed his name to now.

bruh can you stop it with the reasonable, respectful, considerate engagement with other humans. You're making me uncomfortable
NO!! **** YOU!! I'LL BE CONSIDERATE TO WHOMEVER I WANT, DUMB****!!

I made a joke about appointing hunter to investigate the cocaine mystery in the white house a couple weeks ago, but just as brazenly they appoint Weiss as special counsel to investigate Hunter. Third world stuff- Shameless.

I made a joke about appointing hunter to investigate the cocaine mystery in the white house a couple weeks ago, but just as brazenly they appoint Weiss as special counsel to investigate Hunter. Third world stuff- Shameless.
Hasn't Hunter been investigated for a while now by hyper partisan (republican) house reps? Is that also third world stuff?
I did see this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...sn&cvid=8df455619bb5423c8adbd38ed8aa67bb&ei=9

The Trump-appointed US attorney who is investigating Hunter Biden has been given special counsel status after plea talks between the Justice Department and the president’s son fell apart. Trump appointed huh? Weaponization of the justice department against democrats!!!

The probe appeared to reach its conclusion when a plea deal was announced in June. In a two-pronged agreement, Hunter Biden planned to plead guilty to two tax misdemeanors and prosecutors would drop a separate felony gun charge in two years if he stayed out of legal trouble and passed a drug test. (seems reasonable. Things like this happen all the time in court when a defendent pleads guilty) Federal prosecutors also agreed to recommend probation, and no jail time, for Hunter Biden.
But then the judge intervened: But at a stunning three-hour court hearing last month, the deal nearly collapsed under scrutiny from the federal judge overseeing the case. District Judge Maryellen Noreika said the intertwined deals to resolve the tax and gun charges were “confusing,” “not straightforward,” “atypical” and “unprecedented.” At the end of that hearing, she ordered the Justice Department and Hunter Biden’s lawyers to file additional legal briefs defending the constitutionality of the agreement.

The White House and Hunter Biden’s legal team were not informed beforehand of the decision to appoint a special counsel, according to a senior Justice Department official.

Sounds like another witch hunt ;)

Last edited: