What's new

The Biden Administration and All Things Politics

It’s weird how some of you think Democrats should vote against popular pieces of legislation that they campaigned on. Like, y’all understand that the majority in this country wanted them to pass this stuff, right?

How do you think citizens of this country are going to treat politicians and the government if the government refuses to pass legislation that is overwhelmingly popular even among Republicans and Democrats?

I was never a fan of the bank bailouts but also knew that it was necessary. I want a fan of Bush but I wanted him to succeed in stopping the hemorrhage of our economy in 2007-2008. I was happy when Congress passed legislation with Bush signing to stop our financial sector from crashing.

With covid? Let’s not spare any expense. We need to stop people and businesses from sinking. We need this pandemic to end ASAP. I hope not a single job is lost from here on out. Increase min wage. I don’t care if I have to pay a few more pennies for a burger. Take the money from the Republican tax cut or from building the next stealth fighter that can’t even fly in rain then. Make the tex cut contingent on raising wages. I don’t care if some of this money is wasted. I know the majority of it will help our country get back on its feet. I want America to succeed.

It’s almost like some of you want this government and country to fail. The last few pages of this thread have been some of the strangest I’ve seen on this website in recent history.

Last edited:
They can under reconciliation.

So why would they waste time undermining their own piece of legislation to pander to 2-3 Republicans? It’ll help fewer people.

The reason why I ask is I’ve seen recently criticism that Democrats need to “reach across the aisle.” As if Republicans are good faith negotiators just waiting for Biden to work with them. As if a skinny version of covid would help the same amount of people as the current one.

Would a paired down covid relief Bill attract Republicans? I doubt it. So why pass a weaker bill with 50 Democrats and maybe 1-3 Republicans when you could pass a much stronger bill that will help more people with 50 Democrats?

At the end of the day, Republicans are using the power of obstruction in the Senate hoping to claw their way back into power in 2022. The country be damned. The senate actually incentivizes obstructionism. It decreases the need for the minority party to work with the majority party. All Republicans have to do is maintain ranks, obstruct everything, and hope they can pick off 1 Democrat to sink Biden’s presidency. It’s infuriating and not how our democracy is supposed to function. No democracy can function when all one party cares about is regaining power.
OK, I get what you're saying now.

I agree that Republicans have been ridiculous in regard to "unity" which somehow translates to them that they should be given veto power over anything and everything the Biden administration does. Otherwise Biden isn't being a unifier.

Trump wasn't a divider because of stuff like the tax reform. That's standard politics. He was a divider because of stuff like threatening to not give emergency funding to "blue" states, by condemning human rights movements (yeah I'm talking about BLM, a human rights organization), by executive actions banning Transgender people from serving in the military, some of whom were already serving successfully and were forced to leave their military careers, dramatically expanding the criteria for seperating families (yes it was happening before in specific cases, Trump massively expanded it to almost all cases--big ****ing difference). Stuff like that is why Trump was divisive.

The right and especially the far right in the U.S. have been misidentifying social issues as political issues as of late. People fighting for equality is not, or at least should not be, an us vs them political issue.

OK, I get what you're saying now.

I agree that Republicans have been ridiculous in regard to "unity" which somehow translates to them that they should be given veto power over anything and everything the Biden administration does. Otherwise Biden isn't being a unifier.

Trump wasn't a divider because of stuff like the tax reform. That's standard politics. He was a divider because of stuff like threatening to not give emergency funding to "blue" states, by condemning human rights movements (yeah I'm talking about BLM, a human rights organization), by executive actions banning Transgender people from serving in the military, some of whom were already serving successfully and were forced to leave their military careers, dramatically expanding the criteria for seperating families (yes it was happening before in specific cases, Trump massively expanded it to almost all cases--big ****ing difference). Stuff like that is why Trump was divisive.

The right and especially the far right in the U.S. have been misidentifying social issues as political issues as of late. People fighting for equality is not, or at least should not be, an us vs them political issue.
Good post.

"The squad" has become increasingly critical of Biden and establishment Dems as of late. They played nice together beating up on Trump, but now we are going to see some big infighting

How refreshing. I see it as a really really really really really good thing when people in the same party have disagreements on things.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I wonder how many of Trump's toilet seats had to be melted down to make that thing?
very sadaam husien like. (Ya I don't know how to spell his name and I'm not looking it up)

I wonder how many of Trump's toilet seats had to be melted down to make that thing?
I’m not sure they could come up with a better prop to broadcast to the world that the Republican Party is a cult of personality. And, by so broadcasting, advertising the fact that they have zero self awareness. Turning their party into a cult right before our eyes. And it will continue to be a dangerous cult. Living in a fiction based alternative reality. I don’t know how this can end well, with such a full commitment embrace of conspiracy and delusion.

I’m not sure they could come up with a better prop to broadcast to the world that the Republican Party is a cult of personality. And, by so broadcasting, advertising the fact that they have zero self awareness. Turning their party into a cult right before our eyes. And it will continue to be a dangerous cult. Living in a fiction based alternative reality. I don’t know how this can end well, with such a full commitment embrace of conspiracy and delusion.
True.

Also, they’re showing their ignorance of the Bible. It didn’t end up well for those who worshipped the golden calf.

For today, Ted Cruz is getting raked over the coals (deservingly so). Dude jetted off to Cancun while his state goes through a generational power/water crisis.

I mean, bad timing and really poor optics. Politicians can take vacations just like anybody can and should, but you don't take one when your state and people are freezing to death and can't get gas. R's would be smart to primary this dude as he's just a buffoon with no spine.

Dumb for him to leave during that time, dumber to blame what happened and focus on why he left.

If he stayed, nothing outside of people's judgment would have changed.

Sigh... politics.

Ted Cruz is still a douchebag.

Anyone have a problem with this or more intel? From what I've read, I don't.

Yeah, I hate to see people killed. I've probably watched too many documentaries on Syria.

To me, the people that bitch the most focus on life life lost at an individual level rather than focusing on life taken or ruined in the masses.

Both suck. I don't want either. I trust Biden and his intelligence over any bitching hack.

Dumb for him to leave during that time, dumber to blame what happened and focus on why he left.

If he stayed, nothing outside of people's judgment would have changed.

Sigh... politics.

Ted Cruz is still a douchebag.
Ya i made a similar comment on facebook about this. I think Ted Cruz sucks mightily. But I mean it was cold and the power was out. If I had the money and the time off work or whatever to bounce to cancun then I would have as well. Im guessing that many texans who had the means decided to get the hell out of texas and head to warmer places as well. If Ted Cruz would have stayed home its not like it would have done any texans any good. The power would have remained out and the temperatures would have remained cold.
I get why it looks bad but it really doesn't matter.

Anyone have a problem with this or more intel? From what I've read, I don't.

Yeah, I hate to see people killed. I've probably watched too many documentaries on Syria.

To me, the people that bitch the most focus on life life lost at an individual level rather than focusing on life taken or ruined in the masses.

Both suck. I don't want either. I trust Biden and his intelligence over any bitching hack.
My favorite part of that article: some Senate Democrats have pushed back against Biden over the strikes, calling on him to provide a briefing why military action was taken without congressional approval.

So since they are questioning Biden does that mean that they are the democratic equivalent of a RINO (a DINO I guess) and that Biden should immediately attack them for not bowing down to his perfect decision? Make them feel his wrath.
God its nice not to have trump in office.

Ya i made a similar comment on facebook about this. I think Ted Cruz sucks mightily. But I mean it was cold and the power was out. If I had the money and the time off work or whatever to bounce to cancun then I would have as well. Im guessing that many texans who had the means decided to get the hell out of texas and head to warmer places as well. If Ted Cruz would have stayed home its not like it would have done any texans any good. The power would have remained out and the temperatures would have remained cold.
I get why it looks bad but it really doesn't matter.
AOC raised over $4 million dollars and served distributing supplies to Texans.

Beto O’Rouke began a calling tree to check on people and used his social media account to provide people with information.

Why couldn’t Cruz do this? AOC is merely one representative in New York and Beto holds no political office. Why wouldn’t he try to use his position as 1 of 100 Senators in the entire country to leverage aid for Texas? Most politicians would at least pretend to care about their constituents.

AOC raised over $4 million dollars and served distributing supplies to Texans.

Beto O’Rouke began a calling tree to check on people and used his social media account to provide people with information.

Why couldn’t Cruz do this? AOC is merely one representative in New York and Beto holds no political office. Why wouldn’t he try to use his position as 1 of 100 Senators in the entire country to leverage aid for Texas? Most politicians would at least pretend to care about their constituents.
I agree Ted Cruz should have done more to help Texans. I think Ted Cruz sucks.
Him going to Cancun didn't prevent him from doing more to help though. He could raise money from Cancun and make phone calls from Cancun.
Cruz being a douche is what prevented him from helping more. If he would have stayed in texas rather than go to Cancun he would have remained a douche, just a douche in Texas rather than a douche Cancun, and still wouldn't have helped anyone.

I agree Ted Cruz should have done more to help Texans. I think Ted Cruz sucks.
Him going to Cancun didn't prevent him from doing more to help though. He could raise money from Cancun and make phone calls from Cancun.
Cruz being a douche is what prevented him from helping more. If he would have stayed in texas rather than go to Cancun he would have remained a douche, just a douche in Texas rather than a douche Cancun, and still wouldn't have helped anyone.

Iqwtp

However you could actually argue that he could have gotten more done from Cancun, because the conditions in texas, with power outages and no way to travel, would have made it very hard to communicate from within the state, but he would have no such problems in Cancun.

(Yawn)......

Somebody wake me up when we have no more deadbeat politicians and all y'all are singing around some campfire on a summer night in the New York woods roasting marshmallows, where it's the bears in the woods we'all are afraid of.

(Yawn)......

Somebody wake me up when we have no more deadbeat politicians and all y'all are singing around some campfire on a summer night in the New York woods roasting marshmallows, where it's the bears in the woods we'all are afraid of.
No more deadbeat politicians? You'll never wake up - we'll always have idiots in office in some capacity.

Term limits for reps/senators is a no-brainer, but it will never pick up the steam as it threatens their entire existence.