What's new

The Boozer S&T Primer

billyshelby

With all the S&T talk, it seems a basic primer on the Boozer situation would help. The Jazz have 3 options with Boozer: Sign him, let him walk for nothing (cap space), or work an S&T. The S&T strategy the Jazz can take differs depending on the teams they are working with.

Under The Cap teams are likely most attractive to the Jazz. Those teams can offer back a single player or assets and THEN give back the remaining portion of the deal in a TPE. Translated, that means the Jazz acquire a low salary player they like and that's the only increase in payroll. Miami, Chicago, New Jersey, New York apply.

Over The Cap teams are likely less preferable. Those teams CANNOT offer Cap relief. The Jazz would have to A) be wowed by the package of players that essentially equal Boozer's current salary or B) a 3rd team would need to be included to swallow a player the Jazz didn't want (and make finances work.) Orlando and Houston are possibilities here, as is Dallas and any other team Booze could conceivably want to go to.

Forgetting all the complexities of 3rd teams, this is the pickins':

Miami: Beasley (they also have Chalmers.) At some point, this has to be considered. Suspect head, but the best asset the Jazz could acquire and likely worth the risk as opposed to letting Booze walk.

Chicago: Johnson/Gibson. If Booze is going to sign in Chicago, these are the only two guys who could be sent back. Chicago probably happily packages Johnson. Gibson is tougher.

New Jersey: Boone/Williams/Lee/Favors. Forget Favors. Williams could intrigue the Jazz, but only Lebron could make New Jersey give him up. Lee and Boone are whatever.

Knicks: Basically nothing but Lee. Could work, but it's not a salary savings, and it's complicated as a two player S&T.

Orlando: Much discussed, but the Jazz need to take back a lot of salary (and/or involve 3rd teams). Financially, the Jazz probably want only 2 players, hard to say who, but there is talent that might make not letting Boozer just walk worth it.

Houston: Hard to see this. Scola in a separate S&T is complicated. Ariza intrigues, he's young, though he doesn't look like a starter after last year and his contract is suspect. Battier is on his last legs. Only Hill could tilt the scales, and maybe some of their lesser players (Buddinger.) In the West, not great value, poor match.

Dallas: Booze for Dampier (Damp gets cut in non-guaranteed contract.) Dallas then has to agree to a side deal that interests the Jazz. The only ones I see are an S&T with Haywood (very complicated) or Beaubouis who Dallas would agree to let us absorb with our TPE's. Possible, but not likely.

Other teams like Charlotte could be floated, but realistically Booze has definite options and thus trying to create more options by way of S&T is almost inconceivable.

So those are the players to look at. Weird variables could still be introduced. But the likelihood is the Jazz will target and/or reject one or more of these players in S&T's before they either let Booze walk or work an S&T.

I don't know why you totally dismiss Favors. For me, this is the move we need to try to make even if future picks or players (Hayward, Korver in S&T, etc.) have to be thrown in.

I don't know why you totally dismiss Favors. For me, this is the move we need to try to make even if future picks or players (Hayward, Korver in S&T, etc.) have to be thrown in.

It's in play as long as Lebron signs on and wants Boozer. It's a remote possibility as long as the Jazz sweeten the deal immensely (and I don't know what we have besides Millsap, Miles, or Hayward.) Otherwise, Jersey doesn't give up that asset for what we got. They can turn Favors into much more if they put him on the market.

I wouldn't dismiss Favors, but I don't think the Nets would S&T him for Boozer. I think he was trade bait for an upper echelon guy like Bosh or Amar'e.

Hey, if Wade goes to Chicago, I think New Jersey's chances of getting Lebron improve. Maybe I'm wrong and he'd want to go to Chicago even more but I can't see that with two other ball dominant players like Rose and Wade. I also can't see Lebron in South Beach and no supporting cast or with the Clippers who are just a laughingstock. That leaves New Jersey and New York. For me, I go with the Billionaire owner, a solid GM, a solid core of talent in Lopez, Harris, Favors (or Booze in S&T) rather than a coach who could care less about defense and has no impressive pieces in place. Unless you count David Lee as impressive.

Consider this too, if Lebron signs with NJ and he wants Boozer, they'll get Boozer. They won't hold out demanding the world from us. They'd want Lebron happy. And quite frankly, Booze the Olympian, multi-time all-star, and 20-10 guy, should have more value than Favors anyway. If they want more, I'd certainly consider the Memphis pick and/or a future 1st of our own.

Also, how could the Nets get more than Booze for Favors? Some other team is going to offer an Olympian/All-Star for him? Very, very unlikely imo. And I doubt Lebron wants to sit and wait for Favors to develop. He wants another proven guy like Booze to help him shoulder the load and win now.

Also, if Wade does sign with Chicago (we can only hope so as soon as possible), we then need to cross our fingers that Bosh somehow lands there next.

If that happens, it does really increase the odds because Amar'e is likely signing in New York and I doubt Boozer is going to want to go to Miami with literally no team. So that would leave LeBron to sign with the Nets or Cleveland and then Boozer would likely join LeBron in New Jersey. I just don't see Boozer coming back to the Jazz unless the Milller's do something stupid and sign Boozer for a max six year deal which I just don't see.

Hey, if Wade goes to Chicago, I think New Jersey's chances of getting Lebron improve. Maybe I'm wrong and he'd want to go to Chicago even more but I can't see that with two other ball dominant players like Rose and Wade. I also can't see Lebron in South Beach and no supporting cast or with the Clippers who are just a laughingstock. That leaves New Jersey and New York. For me, I go with the Billionaire owner, a solid GM, a solid core of talent in Lopez, Harris, Favors (or Booze in S&T) rather than a coach who could care less about defense and has no impressive pieces in place. Unless you count David Lee as impressive.

Consider this too, if Lebron signs with NJ and he wants Boozer, they'll get Boozer. They won't hold out demanding the world from us. They'd want Lebron happy. And quite frankly, Booze the Olympian, multi-time all-star, and 20-10 guy, should have more value than Favors anyway. If they want more, I'd certainly consider the Memphis pick and/or a future 1st of our own.

Also, how could the Nets get more than Booze for Favors? Some other team is going to offer an Olympian/All-Star for him? Very, very unlikely imo. And I doubt Lebron wants to sit and wait for Favors to develop. He wants another proven guy like Booze to help him shoulder the load and win now.

You've basically outlined the fantasy scenario where Favors becomes available to us. Yeah, it could happen, and I'll dream of it, too. But my feeling is Lebron isn't signing anywhere without Bosh or Stoudemire. Maybe he's cool with Boozer, but I just doubt it. Hopefully, he thinks Booze and Lopez (sans Favors) is what he needs in the frontcourt, or is willing to accept that as the Nets add players. My guess is it becomes a stalemate where he tells Jersey management not to give up Favors, and Booze doesn't care about getting only a 5 year MAX deal, and Utah is forced to accept less if they want an S&T.

I think Lebron would be foolish to sign with D'Antoni and his system and one player in Stoudemire (who also plays no defense) rather than a team like the Nets who have a solid point and a young center (who are almost impossible to find) as well as Booze in the scenario I've proposed.

Regarding the chess match, you could definitely be right. Favors could be like Hickson was to the Cavs.

On the other hand, if it comes down to just a couple of teams left for Boozer, he's going to take the best possible deal. So instead of NJ giving the Jazz Favors, they can just tell Carlos, look, we're trying to build a contender. Favors is going to takle some time to develop, but we can give him 10-15/per behind you. Our offer would be $90M over six years, but Utah is demanding too much. So instead of trying to work a S&T, let's make it $85M over 5 years instead. Come Year 6, you can hit the market again, or we can give you the MLE.

But this may be a mute (wink) point. After all, a secondary reason Carlos left Cleveland is he hated all the plays going through Lebron. Is there still some jealousy there? Does Lebron hate that Boozer lied (or his agent did) in order to leave town?

As I recall, James said that he didn't fault Booz for taking the money that Utah offered. It was a business decision that was best for Carlos and his family. And James is correct. For those that hold it against Booz, let's see them offered 20 million and see what decision they make. Any loyalty they think they have would fly right out the window. James understands this. His playing with Booz again would not be an issue.

I can't see James going to Miami or NY. Thus far Miami has squat. Even if the resign Wade they have nobody of consequnece on the team beyond those two. Same for NY. Great, they have James and Amare. Then they will have a bunch of crap. James may as well resign with Cleveland.

The two best fits for James are Chicago and NJ. Both have young, strong role players that will compliment James' game. Even if either team were to sign just James they'd be amongst the best in the East. Now if they can sign James and a quality 4, they are right there.

NJ already has Favors but being a rookie, Bosh or Booz would be a major upgrade and give them instant contender status.

Best case scenario, Bosh goes to Miami to play with Wade and James signs with NJ. NJ is then almost desperate to bring in a top tier player to play along side with James. Enter Booz. Of course Booz' agent is going to explore a S&T because it gets Booz, and be default his agent, more money. Enter the Jazz.

It would require some major planet alignment for the Nets to make Favors available in a sign and trade, don't see it happening.

It would probably require some desperation on their part quite honestly or the deal would have to be significantly more sweet than just Boozer and no way the Jazz would do that on an unproven rookie, no matter the upside.

It would probably require some desperation on their part quite honestly or the deal would have to be significantly more sweet than just Boozer and no way the Jazz would do that on an unproven rookie, no matter the upside.

Well, we could give them the Memphis pick. That probably ends up being somewhere around #16.

I see acquiring Favors as about a 0% chance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Can't New Jersey sign 2 players to max money? I realize Boozer could get an extra year and some more $$$ if Utah and Jersey worked a sign and trade, but I don't see Jersey doing that. If they get Lebron and he wants Boozer, I could see the Nets telling Booz that they will offer him 5 years at the max they can offer. That gives Booz the highest payday of his career by far, reunites him with Lebron, and puts him back on the East Coast.

If that were to happen, Jersey could still afford to sign Favors to his rookie contract, give him solid minutes as the #1 back-up to Boozer for a year or 2 and if he turns out to be the real deal, Jersey has the option of moving either Boozer or Favors down the road to add more pieces for Lebron.

The Nets have $30 million in cap space. So yes they could sign 2 max guys with that. But they still have other holes to fill and would have very little wiggle room after that. If they were to dump a contract or 2 in a Sign and trade it can clear more space to pick up guys they need.

But I agree. Getting Flavors in a sign and trade for Boozer is a pipe dream.

lol, you act like Boozer is still on the Jazz.

Jazz4ever:

No I'm not, a S&T is in Boozer's best interest because it can net him more money. I believe he prefers that scenario.