What's new

The case for Love

I'm torn on how to proceed as a team. I lean toward stripping us down a bit, and keeping Rubio, Mitchell, Ingles and Gobert (and likely Exum too if he isn't too expensive this off-season which I don't think he will be) and seeing what we could get for Favors, Hood and Burks. If we can get a 1st for any of them, trade them. In the draft I then want to pursue either a longish 3 who can penetrate and finish and shows some signs of playing good d. If not that, a stretch 4 who likewise has shown signs of playing good d. Mitchell can penetrate but can't finish and that's not Ingles game either. Virtually every championship team has a stud who can do that. Drive at will to the rim and finish or draw the foul. Jordan, Kobe, hell Tony Parker was insane at doing this. But if we can trade any of those guys or maybe even package them for a 1st, I do it and try to build assets to have flexibility to move up in the 1st and go after a high end 3 or 4.

We have depth. We now need high ceiling players.

Like Love & the fit but not sure we match up asset-wise. Also don't like the idea of spending significant assets on someone who is unlikely to propel the team to contender status &/or remain a core member for the next 5+ years. Young talent approaching/entering their prime should be the target(s). We need to think long-term. Burning most/all of our assets on Love would be the opposite imo.

I'm torn on how to proceed as a team. I lean toward stripping us down a bit, and keeping Rubio, Mitchell, Ingles and Gobert (and likely Exum too if he isn't too expensive this off-season which I don't think he will be) and seeing what we could get for Favors, Hood and Burks. If we can get a 1st for any of them, trade them. In the draft I then want to pursue either a longish 3 who can penetrate and finish and shows some signs of playing good d. If not that, a stretch 4 who likewise has shown signs of playing good d. Mitchell can penetrate but can't finish and that's not Ingles game either. Virtually every championship team has a stud who can do that. Drive at will to the rim and finish or draw the foul. Jordan, Kobe, hell Tony Parker was insane at doing this. But if we can trade any of those guys or maybe even package them for a 1st, I do it and try to build assets to have flexibility to move up in the 1st and go after a high end 3 or 4.

We have depth. We now need high ceiling players.

This.

We have three quality starters/finishers in Gobert, Rubio and Mitchell.
Favors is done. He's not an impact player any more. Ingles is just "meh." Good player. Versatile. But doesn't move the needle much. He's not going to explode into a 18-20 pts/per shooter. Better as a backup, IMO, because you can bring him in at 4 different positions depending on matchups.

As for Hood, that's a real issue. The problem is that he's not versatile. He can't be a 3 defensively. And that means he either continues to start at the 2 for the next 4 years over Mitchell or becomes one of the most expense backups in the league. I don't like either option. I really hope the Jazz are out of playoff contention coming up on the deadline because I think some teams would offer late 1st's for Favors and JJ. Or maybe jettison Hood + one of the those expirings for a vet from a rebuilding team (a value like Rubio, but at the 3 or 4).

I am starting to realize that the Jazz are just not going to be able to somehow manufacture points through a system. We have personnel limitations that we are not going to be able to overcome.

I don't know if an opportunity would exist to somehow package together from some parts that include Hood/Joe Johnson/Favors to get a young prospect with higher ceiling.

This.

We have three quality starters/finishers in Gobert, Rubio and Mitchell.
Favors is done. He's not an impact player any more. Ingles is just "meh." Good player. Versatile. But doesn't move the needle much. He's not going to explode into a 18-20 pts/per shooter. Better as a backup, IMO, because you can bring him in at 4 different positions depending on matchups.

As for Hood, that's a real issue. The problem is that he's not versatile. He can't be a 3 defensively. And that means he either continues to start at the 2 for the next 4 years over Mitchell or becomes one of the most expense backups in the league. I don't like either option. I really hope the Jazz are out of playoff contention coming up on the deadline because I think some teams would offer late 1st's for Favors and JJ. Or maybe jettison Hood + one of the those expirings for a vet from a rebuilding team (a value like Rubio, but at the 3 or 4).

I would have to agree with both of you. When the Jazz go through one of those offensive droughts I feel like slamming my head through a wall

Before a Love for Favors trade would’ve made me laugh and dismiss it outright, but I’ve kept following and its really really getting hard justifying a Gobert and Favors froncourt. This hurts because both have obviously tried to make it work.

The only reason I have justifying sending Favs to Cleveland for Love is because I want to give Favs a solid chance at a ring.