What's new

The Corruption of the Supreme Court

It’s interesting to me how posters here have focused endlessly on Hunter Biden supposed corruption while ignorant the blatant corruption of a Supreme Court justice they just so happen to agree with. If this were Biden? He’d be impeached. If this had been RBG? The meltdown on the right would’ve melted the earth’s crust.

It’s interesting to me how posters here have focused endlessly on Hunter Biden supposed corruption while ignorant the blatant corruption of a Supreme Court justice they just so happen to agree with. If this were Biden? He’d be impeached. If this had been RBG? The meltdown on the right would’ve melted the earth’s crust.
One of Thomas's good friends is posting about (smaller) corruption by RBG and Sotomayer. It's time to take SCOTUS off the honor system.

Well done. Insightful, learned a great deal about both of them.

As controversy erupts around Clarence and Ginni Thomas, FRONTLINE tells the inside story of their path to power. This investigation from veteran filmmaker Michael Kirk and his team traces how race, power and controversy collide in the rise of the Supreme Court justice and his wife and how the couple has reshaped American law and politics.

When I first began in education 12 years ago, it was impressed upon all of us that we couldn’t accept gifts (Christmas, teacher appreciation week, etc) over $20 dollars in value and We could never accept bribes. Then there’s the Supreme Court…

More corruption!

View: https://twitter.com/eisingerj/status/1671365124886544385?s=46&t=QT7YFlZ_IlHq81PpZAhKgw

This is why we desperately need reform. Expand the court, term limits, and harsh ethical reforms.

This is why we desperately need reform. Expand the court, term limits, and harsh ethical reforms.
What would expanding the court do to fix these issues? Adding more judges could increase the problem. Again, if the court was 6-3 left leaning, you wouldn't be begging for expansion. Term limits wouldn't fix it either. Ethical reforms would be the only option.

What would expanding the court do to fix these issues? Adding more judges could increase the problem. Again, if the court was 6-3 left leaning, you wouldn't be begging for expansion. Term limits wouldn't fix it either. Ethical reforms would be the only option.
I can’t keep retyping my suggestions for those too lazy to look them up. But one of the reasons why I like expanding the court to something like 21 is so you could have a lottery when cases are brought up. This would place a random justice selection of 7, 9, 11, or whatever we determine the number to be. That would make it much harder for billionaires like Leo or Singer to buy off judges to determine the outcomes of their cases. As it stands now, conservative groups like the Federalist Society and billionaires like Leo, know that they just need to keep Alito and Thomas happy to maintain their control over the court, achieving wins that they wouldn’t be able to achieve through the legislative process.

I can’t keep retyping my suggestions for those too lazy to look them up. But one of the reasons why I like expanding the court to something like 21 is so you could have a lottery when cases are brought up. This would place a random justice selection of 7, 9, 11, or whatever we determine the number to be. That would make it much harder for billionaires like Leo or Singer to buy off judges to determine the outcomes of their cases. As it stands now, conservative groups like the Federalist Society and billionaires like Leo, know that they just need to keep Alito and Thomas happy to maintain their control over the court, achieving wins that they wouldn’t be able to achieve through the legislative process.
Pretty good idea.

This. It's the untouchable nature of the court that propagates this stuff. And if you think this is new, I think you'd be pretty naive. It's just easier to find this stuff with social media. They need extremely harsh penalties and automatic expulsion combined with criminal prosecution for this kind of ****, impfho. This is the central unimpeachable pillar of our entire Republic. It must be treated as such. There should be tight standards, regular external and non- or at least bi-partisan oversight, complete with full audits and extreme transparency. These people hold the very foundations of our nation in their hands, it is the most serious job there is in our country. It needs to be treated as such and not allowed to become a good old boys club.

Again, no one is buying off Judges. I have asked you twice to show the bribes and the court cases in which the justice changed his opinion. You have not provided this. You're making this up. You could have a lottery right now, we don't need all 9 judges to decide a case. Alito and Thomas are already right wing, what is a right wing billionaire going to do to change their opinion to make it more right?

This. It's the untouchable nature of the court that propagates this stuff. And if you think this is new, I think you'd be pretty naive. It's just easier to find this stuff with social media. They need extremely harsh penalties and automatic expulsion combined with criminal prosecution for this kind of ****, impfho. This is the central unimpeachable pillar of our entire Republic. It must be treated as such. There should be tight standards, regular external and non- or at least bi-partisan oversight, complete with full audits and extreme transparency. These people hold the very foundations of our nation in their hands, it is the most serious job there is in our country. It needs to be treated as such and not allowed to become a good old boys club.

Agreed with the harsh penalties, automatic expulsion and criminal prosecution. Actually I agree with all of this.

Again, no one is buying off Judges. I have asked you twice to show the bribes and the court cases in which the justice changed his opinion. You have not provided this. You're making this up. You could have a lottery right now, we don't need all 9 judges to decide a case. Alito and Thomas are already right wing, what is a right wing billionaire going to do to change their opinion to make it more right?
You should try reading the article cited above (post 29). I even included a link to it, did you miss that?

Again, I can’t keep repeating posts when folks are too lazy to read the original ones. I’ve already discussed the reforms I believe would help with the Supreme Court and I’ve already cited an article detailing the bribery on the Supreme Court. Listen/read rather than constantly want to argue for “your side.”

Last edited:
You should try reading the article cited above (post 29). I even included a link to it, did you miss that?

Again, I can’t keep repeating posts when folks are too lazy to read the original ones. I’ve already discussed the reforms I believe would help with the Supreme Court and I’ve already cited an article detailing the bribery on the Supreme Court. Listen/read rather than constantly want to argue for “your side.”
Did you even read the article? Where is the bribe? Where did he change his opinion?

Wow, look at all the court cases...
Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 3.45.09 PM.png

11 times the Hedge Fund came to the Supreme Court. 9 of 10 were turned down. The last one is pending. The 1 time it was taken, the court decided 7-1 in favor of the hedge fund. With which left leaning judges who also sided with the right sided judges?

Kagan, Sotomeyer and Breyer. Show the bribe...

Read your own articles. You read the headline and then post. Nothing shows a bribe. Again for the 4th time, show me the bribe. You are making this conspiracy up.

I have agreed with you that not reporting gifts/trips is a problem and it needs to be addressed. Thats what this article is covering. Its not covering a bribe.

Switch out Thomas/Alito with KBJ and Crow or Singer with George Soros. Now imagine the outrage from the right.

And it would be completely justifiable. The BS that we are permitting for this court is unreal. I remember when I first joined public education 12 years ago. We couldn’t accept any gifts over $20 bucks in monetary value for Christmas or Teacher Appreciation and accepting bribes was an offense that would lead to termination. And we let Supreme Court justices accept hundreds of thousands from billionaire friends who have cases brought to the court. These rich donors wouldn’t be buying off these justices if they didn’t want influence. It’s ridiculous.

Hard no. It is the untouchable nature of the court that allows the court to function. The proposed reforms would be the end of the republic within 2 decades.

I agree with all 9 of the current Supreme Court justices.
You miss the point, or willfully ignore it, likely the latter. There is of course a policy of ethical practices, which obviously is not being followed, and has no teeth. That is the point. There is a document they subscribe to with zero accountability as to how they conduct themselves. There needs to be stronger oversight on ethical issues and forced recusal or other sanctions when an ethical conflict comes before the court. So if you're on the court and your best billionaire buddy just took you and your family to his mansion in france for a week-long vacation, and a week after you get back his case comes before the court, you would be automatically recused from the case. Simple. But it requires transparency and oversight to ensure these conflicts are known and mitigated.