What's new

The Flat Earth Society (yes, it's real)

Mods, please merge this thread with the General Conference thread.

Thanks!

Being a flat-earther is a rhetorical exercise. It's a game designed to force you to give extremely convoluted but clever responses to extremely simple common-sense arguments. I used to force novice college debaters to play "Flat Earth," "Cheese Moon," and "The Sky is Pink" early on to demonstrate some subtly deceptive argument forms. You'd be amazed how good people get at this game. Stephen Colbert essentially plays a variation on this game all the time when in character.

There are probably a couple loonies who really believe in a flat earth, but I bet most people on that discussion forum are just playing "Flat Earth" and letting their troll targets come to them.

Anyone who loves debate to the point that they create/re-create? the flat earth society website and message board to encourage trolls to respond to their outrageous claims has waaaay to much time on their hands. On the flip-side I spend a lot of time on Jazzfanz debating the importance of run/blitz packages in the NFL, so who am I to judge?

Science>Flat Earth Society

I'm going to buy one of their T-shirts. Putting the latin phrase for "Victory in Truth" under a picture of a flat earth is hilarious.

I'm glad to see them debating the existence of an "anti-moon" to explain solar eclipses under a flat earth model. That's a stroke of genius with a great name.

I'm going to buy one of their T-shirts. Putting the latin phrase for "Victory in Truth" under a picture of a flat earth is hilarious.

I'm glad to see them debating the existence of an "anti-moon" to explain solar eclipses under a flat earth model. That's a stroke of genius with a great name.

I don't agree that "anit-moon" is an adequate term. I mean, it covers the moon on lunar eclipses AND the sun on solar eclipses? An entirely different term needs to be made, like "negadisc" or something.

it does make some kind of sense,
after all, we probably are just God's petri dish

moldinpetridish.jpg