What's new

The Future is NOW

serious question here, how can they be called "light sabers" when sabers are curved?

Shouldn't they just be generic "light sword's" or "light katana's" or "light rapier's" or something?

serious question here, how can they be called "light sabers" when sabers are curved?

Shouldn't they just be generic "light sword's" or "light katana's" or "light rapier's" or something?

Sabers aren't always curved, fyi. And do you not see Darth Tyranous's saber? It has a curved handle at least.

I don't get the hype. Even kids making lightsabers nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96E0RfyL2Gc

Real Lightsabers should be illegal except for anyone who has attended a Star Wars convention or a any type of fantasy "Con".

Fixed. If you make them only legal for people who have attended such a convention you GUARANTEE no gang-bangers will ever get their hands on one.

Sabers aren't always curved, fyi. And do you not see Darth Tyranous's saber? It has a curved handle at least.

I heard Darth Tyranous' goes by the name Rex.

The sabre or saber (see spelling differences) is a kind of backsword that usually has a curved, single-edged blade and a rather large hand guard, covering the knuckles of the hand as well as the thumb and forefinger. Although sabres are typically thought of as curved-bladed slashing weapons, those used by the world's heavy cavalry often had straight and even double-edged blades more suitable for thrusting.

Can be either/or apparently. I like Light Rapier better. Or Light Thruster, but that used to be one of trout's nicknames.

At least there is little chance of blood loss deaths with those things, cauterize the wounds they cause.

how about this headline...

"ER Doctors around the world use Lightsabers to save lives"

Actually it depends on the heat generated. It might generate enough heat to vaporize rather than cauterize which causes a wound to bleed VERY VERY profusely.

[source: have seen it IRL. dude bled like a stuck pig that was bleeding a lot.]

Actually it depends on the heat generated. It might generate enough heat to vaporize rather than cauterize which causes a wound to bleed VERY VERY profusely.

Dude, you're such an amateur...

luke.jpg

They have no idea what it can or can't really do yet.. they just discovered it's existence. We're not even close to applying this science.

Who do we know that has a track record of seeing something cool, and applying that to make it epic?

Disney Imangineers.

It really does come full circle. The light sabre, and Star Wars; Fates entwined for all eternity.

So because I am bored I will tell you all the story of the vaporized wound.

I worked as a manager at a metals fabrication plant, making tubing for fuel cells for nuclear power plants. We had several extrusion processes that operated in the thousands of degrees centrigrade.

In one process we extruded a 15" long, 4" diameter billets of hafnium into a 30' or so long 1" diameter rod (a control rod actually). At the tail end of the extrusion, there is a follower block of carbon that liquifies at those temps and pressures to force all of the metal through the die. It is a lot like the thing kids push play dough through. Anyway, at the tail end, the metal is stretched incredibly thin, actually under the electron microscope it gets down to a few molecules thick, which is actually sharper than a scalpel. Like if you take a piece of taffy and pull it in half, the metal does that. The billet goes into the extrusion press at about 2000 degrees celsius and when it is done extruding it is much hotter due to the forces exerted to extrude the metal. Well, in the end of that extrusion it is kind of cone-shaped, where the metal tapers off. We use a special sensor to find the part where it is solid all the way through and cut off the tail end as it is unusable.

This kid (20 years old iirc) was training on the extruder one day. He pulled the finished rod off the outfeed of the machine and placed it into the sensor to find the cut-off spot. He marked it and moved it to the saw. In doing this he is wearing leather gloves with steel mesh and kevlar liners to protect against cuts and the heat. He was lining the extrusion up on the saw and didn't notice that at the far end it had come out of the track and was butting up against a piece of the track support. He needed it to move 1/4 inch or so, so, without thinking and against his training, the tapped the end with the palm of his hand. The hot incredibly thin metal went straight through the gloves he was wearing and almost completely through his palm at the base of his thumb, in that thick muscle there. The metal was so hot and sharp that it vaporized the tissue and he started spouting blood. When they came to get me, they had him in the bathroom lying on the floor. Another worker was holding onto his hand, pressing it between both of his hands to slow the bleeding, which is all it as doing, slowing it down, and the kid was laying in a pool of his own blood. The good thing is we had paramedics who worked onsite, so they took over at that point. When they took over, and the other worker let go of the kids hand, I couldn't believe how the blood just welled from his hand, like it had never had pressure applied at all. It was like a little semi-circular fountain in the middle of the kids hand. I don't have a particularly weak stomach, but that made my stomach do somersaults.

So if that light saber operates at a high enough temperature it could create some seriously bad wounds.

So because I am bored I will tell you all the story of the vaporized wound.

I worked as a manager at a metals fabrication plant, making tubing for fuel cells for nuclear power plants. We had several extrusion processes that operated in the thousands of degrees centrigrade.

In one process we extruded a 15" long, 4" diameter billets of hafnium into a 30' or so long 1" diameter rod (a control rod actually). At the tail end of the extrusion, there is a follower block of carbon that liquifies at those temps and pressures to force all of the metal through the die. It is a lot like the thing kids push play dough through. Anyway, at the tail end, the metal is stretched incredibly thin, actually under the electron microscope it gets down to a few molecules thick, which is actually sharper than a scalpel. Like if you take a piece of taffy and pull it in half, the metal does that. The billet goes into the extrusion press at about 2000 degrees celsius and when it is done extruding it is much hotter due to the forces exerted to extrude the metal. Well, in the end of that extrusion it is kind of cone-shaped, where the metal tapers off. We use a special sensor to find the part where it is solid all the way through and cut off the tail end as it is unusable.

This kid (20 years old iirc) was training on the extruder one day. He pulled the finished rod off the outfeed of the machine and placed it into the sensor to find the cut-off spot. He marked it and moved it to the saw. In doing this he is wearing leather gloves with steel mesh and kevlar liners to protect against cuts and the heat. He was lining the extrusion up on the saw and didn't notice that at the far end it had come out of the track and was butting up against a piece of the track support. He needed it to move 1/4 inch or so, so, without thinking and against his training, the tapped the end with the palm of his hand. The hot incredibly thin metal went straight through the gloves he was wearing and almost completely through his palm at the base of his thumb, in that thick muscle there. The metal was so hot and sharp that it vaporized the tissue and he started spouting blood. When they came to get me, they had him in the bathroom lying on the floor. Another worker was holding onto his hand, pressing it between both of his hands to slow the bleeding, which is all it as doing, slowing it down, and the kid was laying in a pool of his own blood. The good thing is we had paramedics who worked onsite, so they took over at that point. When they took over, and the other worker let go of the kids hand, I couldn't believe how the blood just welled from his hand, like it had never had pressure applied at all. It was like a little semi-circular fountain in the middle of the kids hand. I don't have a particularly weak stomach, but that made my stomach do somersaults.

So if that light saber operates at a high enough temperature it could create some seriously bad wounds.

Read the whole thing, will need a second lunch now.

/scarred4life