What's new

The Future: Who to Keep, at what price, and what it means for us

The thing I find interesting is when things start to fit and growth can become explosive. Look at what Rudy's influence seems poised to do with the rest of the pieces: his emergence effectively redistributes the rest of the talent and makes new combinations work and old ones less important. A GM can never be sure how these kinds of combinations will play themselves out, so patience is part of the process. But, so is eagerness. For example, as I've said in a different thread, what would happen if we had a lead guard who could get into the paint at will? What if we could capitalize on this new defensive identity (left hook) by cramming it down their throats on the other end (right uppercut)?

They are one or two pieces away from really being able to turn the momentum of games and hold it there. I think Lindsey himself has used the term "explosive growth."

Anywhoo....

The thing I find interesting is when things start to fit and growth can become explosive. Look at what Rudy's influence seems poised to do with the rest of the pieces: his emergence effectively redistributes the rest of the talent and makes new combinations work and old ones less important. A GM can never be sure how these kinds of combinations will play themselves out, so patience is part of the process. But, so is eagerness. For example, as I've said in a different thread, what would happen if we had a lead guard who could get into the paint at will? What if we could capitalize on this new defensive identity (left hook) by cramming it down their throats on the other end (right uppercut)?

They are one or two pieces away from really being able to turn the momentum of games and hold it there. I think Lindsey himself has used the term "explosive growth."

Anywhoo....

Completely agree. I remember a couple of years ago the media first starting to wonder if Kanter and Favors could play together. And that was still the main question through mid-Decemberof 2014. Now it's who best fits with Gobert. And the other HUGE part of building a roster is determining what offensive and defensive schemes the team will employ. Snyder needs players with different skill sets than did Corbin (or Sloan before him). It's fun to see the team taking shape. AS you mentioned, just imagine where this team will be if/when Utah can get a quality PG. And maybe just one more shooter for the second unit.

I`m starting to think that the only viable option at the moment is to re-sign Kanter and build on what we`ve got. We`re gonna get another exciting prospect at this year`s draft and we`re not gonna have any cap space without letting Kanter go, releasing Booker and trading Novak. By re-signing Kanter now, even if it means 10-12 million a year, we will have our core re-signed under the old cap. In two years time, when the cap rises substantially, we will be in a good financial state and can start to make some moves if it turns out that the roster needs tweaking then.

I`m starting to think that the only viable option at the moment is to re-sign Kanter and build on what we`ve got. We`re gonna get another exciting prospect at this year`s draft and we`re not gonna have any cap space without letting Kanter go, releasing Booker and trading Novak. By re-signing Kanter now, even if it means 10-12 million a year, we will have our core re-signed under the old cap. In two years time, when the cap rises substantially, we will be in a good financial state and can start to make some moves if it turns out that the roster needs tweaking then.
Probably. I'm sure DL will kick some tires, maybe swing for the fences by calling Millsap and Matthews. But he won't trade Kanter at the deadline. Who cares if Enes doesn't want to come off the bench? Jazz match an offer and if Enes complains, then Utah trades him at that point. I think we found a keeper in LilSap. How has he not had a chance before now?

Probably. I'm sure DL will kick some tires, maybe swing for the fences by calling Millsap and Matthews. But he won't trade Kanter at the deadline. Who cares if Enes doesn't want to come off the bench? Jazz match an offer and if Enes complains, then Utah trades him at that point. I think we found a keeper in LilSap. How has he not had a chance before now?

His shot fell yesterday. It happens. There could be many, many more games where it doesn't fall. And if that occurs, the board will call for his head.

His shot fell yesterday. It happens. There could be many, many more games where it doesn't fall. And if that occurs, the board will call for his head.
Even when shots aren't falling, a player can still hustle and play good defense. And that's what Millsap has done. Jazz can't ask for anything more from the 14th/15th roster spot.

When he comes back, I'd start Kanter for about 10-15 games, giving him a shot to prove his worth. We don't want to totally turn him off to what we are doing here so another chance is fair. It also helps with our semi-tank. When he doesn't, send him to the bench and hopefully no one makes him a big offer this off-season. Anything up to about 8.5-9M and I would probably match.

Kanter will get offered 12 to ? MILL or more a year offer. He is a diamond in the rough,but polishing quickly. Hopefully the Jazz see it as rest of the league does. We need to accidently superglue one of his eyes shut to get the price down.

I don't think we'll get a max free agent, so the Jazz will make a QO to Kanter and then match any offer or arrive at a reasonable 4yr deal. Lindsey has been pretty clear in his belief that Kanter has a lot of potential, the Jazz have already invested quite a bit in him, and they don't want to have done all that work so another team can reap the benefits. The beauty of Hayward is that he can play either SG or SF.

1. Re-sign Kanter
2. Draft WCS
3. Get DMC in free agency for the MLE.
4. Move Burks to the bench

AS much as I like Booker, he's expendable after next season if we have Favors and Kanter at PF.

C: Gobert, (Favors), WCS
PF: Favors, Kanter, Booker (for 1 more year)
SF: Carroll, (Hayward), Ingles
SG: Hayward, Burks, Hood, Millsap
PG: Burke, Exum, Neto

And Novak on a guaranteed contract makes 15. Second round picks are traded or used for "draft and stash" players. Maybe give someone (Philadelphia?) a 2nd to take Novak so Jazz can keep a player like Williams or Clark. Novak was worth the gamble, but Jazz then got Booker and Ingles which made him irrelevant. We got a 2nd, we can give one up to get rid of him.

Last edited:
Your idea of balance is giving up on a rebuild after one year. Two bad years doesn't mean you are stuck in the lottery forever. Smart management is crucial regardless of how you build a team. All you have to do is look at the NY teams if you want to see where a win-now attitude can get you. Winning culture is all well and good, but it doesn't change mediocre players into good ones. That's basically what DL is talking about when he says no skipping steps. Trying to implement a winning culture with a team full of mediocre players can mean missing out on the right player. Personally, I'll gladly put up with a few bad years for the team to be built the right way, rather than trying to be the Knicks or Nets, or some treadmill team.
-
If we're being honest, I'm guessing by your many posts on the subject, you don't care one bit about our next draft pick, and are only concerned with winning now. I can remember when the majority of this board wanted to trade the NY pick we drafted Hayward with, and I was getting the same kind of responses when I argued for keeping the pick. Had the win-now crowd gotten their way, that pick would have been sold low and Gordo would be playing somewhere else. Luckily for us, KOC wasn't as short-sighted as so many fans.
-
Lastly, for anyone who is worried about Utah becoming a perennial lottery team, you won't have to worry about it after this year. This is the last year for a while Utah will have a shot at a decent pick, and with Rudy tearing it up, we might already be too good, which is fine. When you have a player break out the way Rudy has, it's time take the next step in rebuilding. Just the same, make no mistake about it, this last high draft pick is important to building the team, no matter how little fans value draft picks and rookies.

NY and their win now mentality had definitely fell through and failed. But I have to give them respect for having that sense of urgency even though it didn't play out. I think we will be an ok team in 3 years, but what is our management doing to build a contender? I don't think the win now mentality is the necessarily the right way to go. But we need to adapt a win sometime mentality at least. I think our starting lineup will evolve and do some damage. But we need a stronger bench. Out bench is the reason we have seen our Utah Jazz get a decent gain and lose the lead within a couple of minutes, when trying to close out.