What's new

The Girl on the Train

ONE LOVE

#Baby_Talk
Contributor
Has anyone read this book?

I've just finished reading it two nights ago - it is really good IMO. A great thriller. And if you've read 'Gone Girl' I think you'll really like it. Actually I think it's 'better' than Gone Girl for many reasons.

Haven't seen the movie yet and I don't know if I intend to as I have heard a lot of not so good things about it. It's also changed the setting from London to somewhere in the US - not sure that was a good move - a commercial move for sure - yes it works to get Americans through the door watching it - but I think it will lose a lot of integrity/authenticity of the story, the character, the setting, the culture, etc.

Anyway if you've read the book let me know your thoughts below.

Thanks!!

Book was solid. Thought GG was better. Hate that they moved it from the British flats. Blunt is perfect for the role.

I loved the book. Probably liked Gone Girl better, but probably only because I read it first. Both books made it hard for me to do anything else until they were finished. Two of my favorite books of the past few years. I should read both of them again because I'm sure I missed a lot in my rush to finish.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but agree I don't like the location change. Odd to change a British location to an American one but then have a British actress as the star.

Book was solid. Thought GG was better. Hate that they moved it from the British flats. Blunt is perfect for the role.

I loved the book. Probably liked Gone Girl better, but probably only because I read it first. Both books made it hard for me to do anything else until they were finished. Two of my favorite books of the past few years. I should read both of them again because I'm sure I missed a lot in my rush to finish.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but agree I don't like the location change. Odd to change a British location to an American one but then have a British actress as the star.

Thanks for the responses.

I loved the book so much I didn't actually wanted it to end. I think it could have gone on for another 20-30 pages. It was a very easy book to read too, a real page turner. I actually thought the writer rushed the ending a bit? She built everything up so well the ending was a bit abrupt to me. Maybe the editor had something to do with wrapping it up, etc?

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the responses.

I loved the book so much I didn't actually wanted it to end. I think it could have gone on for another 20-30 pages. It was a very easy book to read too, a real page turner. I actually thought the writer rushed the ending a bit? She built everything up so well the ending was a bit abrupt to me. Maybe the editor had something to do with wrapping it up, etc?

What do you guys think?

I can see your point as far as the rushed ending. It happens in so many books that I think it must be an editing issue. I don't know enough about the industry to know if they try to keep certain types of books to a certain number of pages (trying to predict what will sell best or something).

I can see your point as far as the rushed ending. It happens in so many books that I think it must be an editing issue. I don't know enough about the industry to know if they try to keep certain types of books to a certain number of pages (trying to predict what will sell best or something).

May be CL can shed light on this, he's an English teacher afterall...

I honestly don't remember all that well how I felt. It's been a year and a half.

My favorite book in the last few years is Descent. A great page turner that is actually very, very well written. The first 75-100 pages are a little burdensome but the last 275 or so are phenomenal IMO.

I honestly don't remember all that well how I felt. It's been a year and a half.

My favorite book in the last few years is Descent. A great page turner that is actually very, very well written. The first 75-100 pages are a little burdensome but the last 275 or so are phenomenal IMO.

Could you please give us a list of books similar to GG and TGOTT (mystery, thriller) that you would recommend?

Could you please give us a list of books similar to GG and TGOTT (mystery, thriller) that you would recommend?

Just gave you one. Not quite the same Hollywood vibe. Much more intelligently done and better written though.

Isn't that a sci-fi though? I'm more a real world, true crime kinda guy.

No. A girl going into her senior year in HS goes on vacation in the Rockies with her family so she can train at high altitude for her coming XC season. Things go awry. Absolutely beautifully written.

No. A girl going into her senior year in HS goes on vacation in the Rockies with her family so she can train at high altitude for her coming XC season. Things go awry. Absolutely beautifully written.

Oh it must have been another book by the same name that I googled.

I will give that book a try though, thanks for the recommendation, who's the writer?

I just recently read Defending Jacob by William Landau. Kind of in the same category and quite fascinating.

My favorite book of the past couple of years was Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. Another one I couldn't put down.

I was just looking up similar books and one list had 50 Shades of Grey as a suggestion. Ugh.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

Oh it must have been another book by the same name that I googled.

I will give that book a try though, thanks for the recommendation, who's the writer?
I think it's the one be Tim Johnston. I've added it to my Goodreads To Be Read list.

I just recently read Defending Jacob by William Landau. Kind of in the same category and quite fascinating.

My favorite book of the past couple of years was Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty. Another one I couldn't put down.

I was just looking up similar books and one list had 50 Shades of Grey as a suggestion. Ugh.

Haha... I guess 'Google' had mixed a murder mysteries and sexual addiction/fantasies.... not entirely unrelated though I must admit....

Also on my TBR list is a book called The Widow by Fiona Barton. Haven't read it yet so don't know, but sounds like the right type.

Another to be read is All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda. Also Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll.

How come crazy psychological thrillers are always about women? Don't answer that.

[MENTION=3213]Cunning Linguist[/MENTION]

I'm surprised you haven't tried your hand at writing. I'm very bad at writing and even I wanted to write something reading this book. Oh the freedom of coming up with an original/unique story about something you see or hear that interests you. Oh the possibility.

If you're into this genre, you've probably already read the Millennium trilogy (link), but it sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

Was interest in this so i looked it up, then realized that i alread read all of those books lol. Had no idea they were called the Millennium trilogy.