What's new

THE HOT HAND: Grading Coach Quin, Game To Game 2016-2017

Cappy_Smurf

Ok, so the concept here is how effective Quin Snyder is with his in game decisions.

Game to game

1st off, I love Snyder as a coach.

However, last year created doubts in my mind as to how good he is as a coach.

Honestly, before I list my reasons, I believe DL and Quin were on the same page, in which playoffs were not a priority.

For example: Times when Jazz had a lead, and coach Quin runs a lineup with Hood and Hayward on bench at same time.:confused:

Next example: Jazz in very close game: Rudy and Favors on bench at same time.:confused:

OK, last year was OK for Quin to eff up games with bad decisions.

This year, not so much.

Last edited:
Basically, the idea here, is that Quin has a big challenge because he has TOO much depth.

SO FAR:

1st game: D+ for 1st half of Blazers game. Utah Jazz dug a 10 point hole in the 1st half, only because Quin stuck with a crap lineup, after Hill and Hood were controlling things.

B- in second half. Recognized that JJ was kicking ***, and rode that hot hand to an almost victory. Can't criticize too much. Good calls in 2nd half, but lost after 1st half crap decisions.

Last edited:
Deep thoughts, by Jack Cappy

October 25th- George Hill and Rodney Hood leading Utah to greater scoring.

Quin Snyder benched Hill and Hood...so he could play mack.

Joe Johnson almost won the game....Quin Snyder with good decision to feature Joe Jesus.

Deep thoughts, by Jack Cappy

October 25th- George Hill and Rodney Hood leading Utah to greater scoring.

Quin Snyder benched Hill and Hood...so he could play mack.

Joe Johnson almost won the game....Quin Snyder with good decision to feature Joe Jesus.

This is the most frustrating part for me. Quin seems to have Mack much higher on the depth chart than the rest of us.

One thing I saw with both Ty and Quin is that the team almost never gets a 2 for 1 at the end of quarters. 34s left? Jazz shot at the 17s mark and the 12s mark, I think it was to end 2nd and 3rd qtr. Under Sloan and with Stockton Jazz ALWAYS got the 2 for 1. Like always. Now it's like they don't even know what that is.

I've always felt like you just take the first shot you can get, if you've got the clock around 30s, before the clock gets to ~26s. It can be low percentage or whatever. That one is basically a freebie. Is that not an accepted concept anymore?

One thing I saw with both Ty and Quin is that the team almost never gets a 2 for 1 at the end of quarters. 34s left? Jazz shot at the 17s mark and the 12s mark, I think it was to end 2nd and 3rd qtr. Under Sloan and with Stockton Jazz ALWAYS got the 2 for 1. Like always. Now it's like they don't even know what that is.

I've always felt like you just take the first shot you can get, if you've got the clock around 30s, before the clock gets to ~26s. It can be low percentage or whatever. That one is basically a freebie. Is that not an accepted concept anymore?

i think there could be some debate that 1 good shot > 2 rushed poor shots

I'm with ya.

Ok, so the concept here is how effective Quin Snyder is with his in game decisions.

Game to game

1st off, I love Snyder as a coach.

However, last year created doubts in my mind as to how good he is as a coach.

Honestly, before I list my reasons, I believe DL and Quin were on the same page, in which playoffs were not a priority.

For example: Times when Jazz had a lead, and coach Quin runs a lineup with Hood and Hayward on bench at same time.:confused:

Next example: Jazz in very close game: Rudy and Favors on bench at same time.:confused:

OK, last year was OK for Quin to eff up games with bad decisions.

This year, not so much.

"I told you Jazz Haters DO NOT GET TO POST".

Locke talks about this all the time, but statistically, it is WAY better to take two crappy shots at the end of a quarter than one amazing shot. You'd be a fool to not go for a two for one.

Maybe Quin just wants to ease Dante back into things the first month or so, but after that, Mack shouldn't be in the regular rotation. At all IMO.

Maybe Quin just wants to ease Dante back into things the first month or so, but after that, Mack shouldn't be in the regular rotation. At all IMO.

completely agree ... the way that happened in the first half was weird and i think resulted in that sh1te performance in the second. Mack really irritated me yesterday, he looks like he's just playing his own game.

My thoughts on game 1 from Quin Snyder:

1. Terrible rotations, no staggering left lineups dead in the water.
2. Too much faith in the Shelvin Mack.
3. Very good scheming to get Joe Johnson going in the second half. Abused Portland's switches.
4. Stotts made adjustments in the last 3 minutes that Quin could not counter. He was the better coach, but obviously had the better horses.

I think Quin is a perfectly mediocre coach, but he doesn't belong in the same category as someone like Stotts.

My thoughts on game 1 from Quin Snyder:

1. Terrible rotations, no staggering left lineups dead in the water.
2. Too much faith in the Shelvin Mack.
3. Very good scheming to get Joe Johnson going in the second half. Abused Portland's switches.
4. Stotts made adjustments in the last 3 minutes that Quin could not counter. He was the better coach, but obviously had the better horses.

I think Quin is a perfectly mediocre coach, but he doesn't belong in the same category as someone like Stotts.

I think Quin is a good coach, but he is still learning and he hasn't figured out how to coach this team during the last 5 minutes of a tight game.

This is the most frustrating part for me. Quin seems to have Mack much higher on the depth chart than the rest of us.

And if Mack is higher on the depth chart, then Exum becomes the 5th guard in a 4-guard rotation when Burks comes back. What in the hell is Quin thinking???

I think Quin is a good coach, but he is still learning and he hasn't figured out how to coach this team during the last 5 minutes of a tight game.

There's around 10 coaches I have better than him, and probably another 10 who I'd say are about the same caliber. His rotations and management in the last five minutes are so poor. I can't say he's proven to be anything more than average up to this point. He get's very good reviews about all the behind the scenes stuff, but that Jazz were one of the worst teams on the margin in the league last year. This is only his third year, but three years is a long time in this league and he needs to improve. That improvement needs to happen now.

Bah, I think Quinn is actually a good x's and o's coach. He is also good at maximizing the talent he has. Obviously there was a personal lesson being taught to Exum last night. I don't think Mack is really ahead of Exum on the depth chart. My biggest complaint on Snyder is that he needs to work the refs. I know we all hate whining to the refs, but the good coaches do it constantly and get calls. I think Snyder's passivity here often leads us to not getting calls, especially in crunch time. I is definitely more a factor than the refs just "hating" the Jazz.

Bah, I think Quinn is actually a good x's and o's coach. He is also good at maximizing the talent he has. Obviously there was a personal lesson being taught to Exum last night. I don't think Mack is really ahead of Exum on the depth chart. My biggest complaint on Snyder is that he needs to work the refs. I know we all hate whining to the refs, but the good coaches do it constantly and get calls. I think Snyder's passivity here often leads us to not getting calls, especially in crunch time. I is definitely more a factor than the refs just "hating" the Jazz.

Oh this reminds me actually. In the last 2 minute report from last night I'm pretty sure (it's not entirely clear) that we actually got the benefit of the refs 2 calls to 1. RESPECT!

And it is soooo important to teach personal lessons at the expense of the team's win/loss record. The one thing Exum excels at is defense and Portland's guards were burning us bigtime, so it only makes sense that Quin would teach Exum a lesson by giving him half the minutes he gave Mack.