What's new

The Jerry Sloan thread

Jeditiger

Hoppy Goodness
Contributor
Since it is Ol' Jerry's big day, I thought I'd make a thread for people to share their thoughts, memories, well wishes he will never see, etc.

I don't live in Utah so I won't be there but I will be watching. Its going to be an emotional night for all.

Since it is Ol' Jerry's big day, I thought I'd make a thread for people to share their thoughts, memories, well wishes he will never see, etc.

I don't live in Utah so I won't be there but I will be watching. Its going to be an emotional night for all.

The game is going to be blacked out on Root Sports outside of Utah - the only place it will be available is on ESPN. I hope they plan on showing the half-time cermony.

Loved this quote from Avery Johnson from the Trib:

"He said if we were going to be a championship team ever," says ESPN analyst Avery Johnson, then a point guard in San Antonio, "we were going to have to be as tough minded as the Utah Jazz. We were going to have have to execute our offense the way they execute their offense. And he talked about how he was going to have to be as good a coach as Jerry Sloan.

"Jerry Sloan was a guy that Coach Popovich really, really respected. He didn't talk about Red Auerbach or Phil Jackson or any of those other awesome coaches much. But he talked a lot about Utah's way of playing."

The game is going to be blacked out on Root Sports outside of Utah - the only place it will be available is on ESPN. I hope they plan on showing the half-time cermony.

I will be pretty pissed if ESPN doesn't show it. They probably won't. So just in case I'll have a not-so-legal internet feed going.

Jerry Sloan coached this motley crew to a winning record. 'Nuff said.

0304jazzteamphoto.jpg

He is the reason behind my sympathy for the Jazz. And Stockton. And Pistol. And Eaton. From the past I mean.

Also, the picture I posted looks wack. Borchardt is supposed to be 7 foot even, and Tag is supposed to be 7'2. Borchardt actually looks slightly taller. And Tag looks barely taller than Gugliotta, who's supposed to be 6'10.

I will be pretty pissed if ESPN doesn't show it. They probably won't. So just in case I'll have a not-so-legal internet feed going.

Don't quote me but I think the game that they retired Adrian Dantley's number was on national TV and they showed at least part of it - although that might have been on NBA TV not ESPN. Just can't remember for sure.

My favorite quote from Monson's article in the Trib. https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/57472844-87/sloan-coach-jerry-team.html.csp
Frank Layden in 1996 uttered my favorite description — I’ve repeated it many times — of Sloan, when he said: "Nobody fights with Jerry because you know the price would be too high. You might come out the winner, at his age, you might even lick him, but you’d lose an eye, an arm, your ********* in the process, everything would be gone. He’s a throwback, a blue-collar guy, a dirt farmer. I know you’re going to think I’m kidding when I say this, but I saw Jerry Sloan fight at the Alamo, I saw him at Harpers Ferry, I saw him at Pearl Harbor. He’s loyal. He’s a hard worker. He’s a man."

sloan1.jpg

And but for a decision to quit as the Evansville coach after just 5 days, he never would have been alive to coach the Jazz.

Ill always remember the days proceeding Jerrys stepping down when Karl Malone was acting like a buffoon trying to "fix" things. He flew into town looking for some blood.

Ill always remember the days proceeding Jerrys stepping down when Karl Malone was acting like a buffoon trying to "fix" things. He flew into town looking for some blood.

I definitely got the impression that Karl wanted to kick D-Will's ***.

Jerry, Hot Rod, Stock, Malone and Larry are what got me hooked on the Jazz. Thanks to Jerry for taking a huge role in bringing great respect and a strong identity to the franchise.