What's new

The memphis pick

Chargers Jazz Angels

I know there are some funky restrictions with this pick and it may never turn into anything more then money. So what i propose is to take advantage of this very deep draft a use this pick to get a player in the 20 that could help the Jazz

Hassan Whiteside looks like he might be sliding. Nice pick up in the 20s

Salomon Alabi again a another big man that has great upsdie but needs to develope.

Donatas Motiejunas might be sliding what a huge pick up in the low 20s

Larry Sanders in some one that i like a lot. Would be a great fit in utah backing up Milsap

Craig Brackins is also a great grab for a back up.

Devin Ebanks is a ron artest with out the head case in the making not a great scorer but a lock down defender can guard 3 positions

Willie Warren not a sexy pick but the Jazz seem to like the dynamo back up combo guards he fits the bill and is a very good defender

Stanley Robinson is an AK type of player. Great for a team that might lose him next year.

Nope. No trade will be made. Greg is already eyeing the $3M that the pick will turn into if Memphis misses the playoffs or just gets in over the next few seasonb. And that is pretty likely to happen in a stacked WC.

As we saw with the mid-season trades, saving cash is more important to the Miller family than spending the money to build a contender.

Better hope the Jazz get the find of the century at #9 because Boozer is walking away for free and no deal will get done for AK's expring. Miller will want to have all of that $30M come of the books (Carlos/AK) heading into the possible work stoppage.

Nope. No trade will be made. Greg is already eyeing the $3M that the pick will turn into if Memphis misses the playoffs or just gets in over the next few seasonb. And that is pretty likely to happen in a stacked WC.

As we saw with the mid-season trades, saving cash is more important to the Miller family than spending the money to build a contender.

Better hope the Jazz get the find of the century at #9 because Boozer is walking away for free and no deal will get done for AK's expring. Miller will want to have all of that $30M come of the books (Carlos/AK) heading into the possible work stoppage.
The Maynor trade was definitely all about money. However the Brewer trade was shown to be a good basketball decision. The team lost nothing by trading him and actually gained because Mathews was a far superior player to Brewer. With Brewer on this team they lose to the Nuggets in 5.

The Maynor trade was definitely all about money. However the Brewer trade was shown to be a good basketball decision. The team lost nothing by trading him and actually gained because Mathews was a far superior player to Brewer. With Brewer on this team they lose to the Nuggets in 5.

Yep, I liked the Brewer move from the start. They got a 1st round pick for a player they were highly unlikely to re-sign.

Yep, I liked the Brewer move from the start. They got a 1st round pick for a player they were highly unlikely to re-sign.

But could have used when Klinko went down with his "inevitable" injury. Of course, then Korver wouldn't have gone 1-2 on his threes over the last month (and then not shot all all to protect the record when we really needed him to the last week). I don;t deny Jazz were not going to resign Brewer, but the Jazz went from having a lot of depth to Jeffers getting some minutes. That's a HUGE drop-off in talent.

That pick was designed to be worthless, and it is worthless. It's trade value is slightly better than worthless, but not much. Having said that, I nominate the real Pennypacker to start the Possible Memphis First Round Pick After The Lottery Thread right now. If everything goes really, really right, we'll pick 15th. The Cake's pre-ordered, ice cream's chilling.

But could have used when Klinko went down with his "inevitable" injury. Of course, then Korver wouldn't have gone 1-2 on his threes over the last month (and then not shot all all to protect the record when we really needed him to the last week). I don;t deny Jazz were not going to resign Brewer, but the Jazz went from having a lot of depth to Jeffers getting some minutes. That's a HUGE drop-off in talent.

Are they supposed to be able to tell the future and know Kirilenko was going to be injured for a significant period of time? There has been a logjam at the wing positions for years and they had an opportunity to clear it out and picked up a 1st round pick for a player who would have walked in the process.

hind sight is 20/20 but I don't buy that they missed Brewer when AK got injured. They still won a fair share of their games and beat the Nuggets. Brewer would not have helped them beat La and would not have been the difference in a single game during the year unless you want to argue they would have lost quite a few games they won if they had still had Brewer.

Wasn't there something about the Jazz' record before and after the trade that basically stated that the records were identical enough to show that Brewer had a mitigating if any impact on the win-loss record? If his impact was negligible, isn't, at worst, 3 million a positive net gain?

Yes. And I would be okay with trading the Memphis pick to get another pick in the mid-to-late 1st. I'm not a fan of Whiteside but if he indeed does fall to 20 or beyond, that would be a project worth drafting. Regardless, someone I'm highly interested in will be likely available (particularly Pondexter and Seraphin).

You can hate on the Millers all you want but the decisions they made financially didn't hurt that Jazz on the court one bit. If it did anything it helped us on the court. It gave more minutes for Matthews/Miles/Korver. If Matthews keeps developing he could be a key piece in a championship contending team. I can't believe I'm saying this but the same can be said for Miles. When Miles mixes up his game with driving to the basket rather than just shooting the 3 all the time it opens up the floor. He seemed to get this in his head later in the season and into the playoffs. Keeping Korver would be great because I like having his shooting ability coming of the bench. I think we do re-sign Korver.

Some pretty good players have been had at #9 so a find of the century is a little exaggerated, imo.

You can hate on the Millers all you want but the decisions they made financially didn't hurt that Jazz on the court one bit. If it did anything it helped us on the court. It gave more minutes for Matthews/Miles/Korver. If Matthews keeps developing he could be a key piece in a championship contending team. I can't believe I'm saying this but the same can be said for Miles. When Miles mixes up his game with driving to the basket rather than just shooting the 3 all the time it opens up the floor. He seemed to get this in his head later in the season and into the playoffs. Keeping Korver would be great because I like having his shooting ability coming of the bench. I think we do re-sign Korver.

Some pretty good players have been had at #9 so a find of the century is a little exaggerated, imo.

Makes me wonder if the Millers ran over his dog, said bad things about him, sold him a lemon of a car, or something else of that nature, especially given that the Jazz STILL went over the tax despite claims that the Jazz financially spent like the Clippers.

Makes me wonder if the Millers ran over his dog, said bad things about him, sold him a lemon of a car, or something else of that nature, especially given that the Jazz STILL went over the tax despite claims that the Jazz financially spent like the Clippers.
What are you talking about? Or rather, who?

Devin Ebanks is a ron artest with out the head case in the making not a great scorer but a lock down defender can guard 3 positions

I think he is a guy with some upside, but he is clearly not going to be able to guard 3 positions in the NBA. Hell, at this point in his body's development, Deron Williams would probably have his way in the post with him despite being 7" shorter.

Isn't the pick a 2011 pick? When Brewer was originally traded I think they were saying it was a 2011 pick.

Yes but they could still use it to trade back into the 1st round this year if they can find a taker. And considering this team needs cheap players by the bunches this season it's not a bad idea.

Yes but they could still use it to trade back into the 1st round this year if they can find a taker. And considering this team needs cheap players by the bunches this season it's not a bad idea.

The only possible trading partner I can think of is a team that's trying not to pay a first round pick's salary for some reason. I also don't know why they would take our speculative pick rather than Portland or Houston's offer of $3 million straight cash.

Miller will want to have all of that $30M come of the books (Carlos/AK) heading into the possible work stoppage.

If you believe the CBA will not include a provision mandating that contracts signed in previous seasons will be reduced to comport with the new BRI calculations then this isn't a bad idea. If you believe such a clause will be included then it's moronic.