What's new

The Minimum Wage and Hourly Rates Thread

What is your hourly wage, and do you approve of the proposed $15 federal minimum wage?

• YES I approve of the min wage & I earn up to $25 per hour (equates to 52k per year or less)

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn $26 to $36 per hour (up to about 75k per year)

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn $37 to $48 (up to about 100k per year)

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn over $49 per hour (anything over 100k per year)

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I do not want to say what I earn.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn up to $25 per hour (equates to 52k per year or less)

• NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn $26 to $36 per hour (up to about 75k per year)

• NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn $37 to $48 (up to about 100k per year)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn over $49 per hour (anything over 100k per year)

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • NO I do not approve of the min wage & I do not want to say what I earn.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There are definitely technology available to simulate taste. We are super far away from being able to replicate what a chef does though.

I definitely think you could develop machines/robots to replicate what a fast food/mass produced food cook does though. I would trust a machine/robot to cook things consistently vs a minimum wage employee. I think we are relatively close in to seeing something like that. When that happens, it will be interesting, because in essence the engineer becomes the chef.
Really cooking is just chemistry. The only real variable that would be tough to overcome would be the fact that not every piece of meat or broccoli or cheese or whatever tastes exactly the same as any other because biology is highly variable. Otherwise there is no reason you couldn't program a robot to make nearly any dish, with the correct ingredients available, and even to at some point be able to take samples and conduct chemical analysis and determine that, for example and just spitballing for fun, say that a 1.5-2.5% salt content in a given dish would be appropriate and something humans would find tastes good, so it aims for that percentage. Stuff like that is possible and will become more possible, and more likely, as we progress.

Really cooking is just chemistry. The only real variable that would be tough to overcome would be the fact that not every piece of meat or broccoli or cheese or whatever tastes exactly the same as any other because biology is highly variable. Otherwise there is no reason you couldn't program a robot to make nearly any dish, with the correct ingredients available, and even to at some point be able to take samples and conduct chemical analysis and determine that, for example and just spitballing for fun, say that a 1.5-2.5% salt content in a given dish would be appropriate and something humans would find tastes good, so it aims for that percentage. Stuff like that is possible and will become more possible, and more likely, as we progress.

Yes, food is highly variable and complicated. A true "Chef" would need to be able to interact with the food, which is possible for a machine, but we are pretty far away from that. Additionally there is the creativity of a "Chef" that AI has made advancements in, but might be difficult to replicate in food.

For mass produced food, think chain restaurant/fast food, you could absolutely create a recipe and design the inputs to be consistent enough (tight specifications on the incoming food) that a machine/robot could cook/assemble the food acceptably and probably superiorly than a minimum wage employee.

Yes, food is highly variable and complicated. A true "Chef" would need to be able to interact with the food, which is possible for a machine, but we are pretty far away from that. Additionally there is the creativity of a "Chef" that AI has made advancements in, but might be difficult to replicate in food.

For mass produced food, think chain restaurant/fast food, you could absolutely create a recipe and design the inputs to be consistent enough (tight specifications on the incoming food) that a machine/robot could cook/assemble the food acceptably and probably superiorly than a minimum wage employee.
I could see a machine as the sous chef and other cooks in a kitchen run by a chef in a fancy restaurant. Instead of a chef and 20+ support staff I could see a chef and 5 support staff and machines doing the rest. How hard is it to have one stir something or make salads or even compose a dish once the chef has created it and set it in the programming?

With the minimum wage hike still hovering around but not able to land anywhere, I thought it would be interesting to get a feel for the tone in Jazzfanz, but in somewhat different way. I wanted to see how our small population here was stratified by income and their opinion on the proposed federal minimum wage increase to $15.

I have added a poll. I have added choices based on assessing 2 things:

1) Do you approve of the $15 minimum wage and...
2) What is your own hourly wage (convert salary to hourly by dividing annual salary by 2080 to be consistent).

I didn't want to out anyone, so it is an anonymous poll. And I didn't want to get too granular so I broke it into groupings like this:

Your hourly rate:
up to $25 per hour (equates to 52k per year or less)
$26 to $36 per hour (up to about 75k per year)
$37 to $48 (up to about 100k per year)
$49 and up (anything over 100k per year)

And I will have an option for each of these combined with Yes, I agree with the minimum wage increase or No I do not.

I will add and option for just yes or no without an hourly wage attached if you are way too uncomfortable being added to an anonymous grouping like this.

Feel free to comment how you will.

I support the extension of slavery to anybody without a knighthood.

Paying kids 8 bucks an hour at Maccas to churn out crappy big macs is probably cheaper then buying and maintaining robots.

What happened to this? The 8 hour day is all but gone, I firmly believe if you work an 8 hour day the minimum wage should afford you dignity and a standard of living above the poverty line. People are working 50, 60 hours a week just to make ends meet, its ridiculous.

What happened to this? The 8 hour day is all but gone, I firmly believe if you work an 8 hour day the minimum wage should afford you dignity and a standard of living above the poverty line. People are working 50, 60 hours a week just to make ends meet, its ridiculous.

not gonna get any better anytime soon either

Paying kids 8 bucks an hour at Maccas to churn out crappy big macs is probably cheaper then buying and maintaining robots.

Oh, absolutely. There is a reason nobody had done it yet. I think that's kind of the point of the thread though. The more you pay workers, the more palatable it will be for companies to invest in automation since the years to get a return on investment will be shorter.

Or at least I'm guessing that's how we got here. I guess I should have read through the thread before posting in it.

Oh, absolutely. There is a reason nobody had done it yet. I think that's kind of the point of the thread though. The more you pay workers, the more palatable it will be for companies to invest in automation since the years to get a return on investment will be shorter.

Or at least I'm guessing that's how we got here. I guess I should have read through the thread before posting in it.
Pay could stay the same and the robots will get cheaper. We're headed to the same place from a couple of different directions.

I just worked 50 hours 2 weeks ago and 60 last week. I do 10 hour shifts.
So i agree

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I just worked 50 hours 2 weeks ago and 60 last week. I do 10 hour shifts.
So i agree

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
My new job is five 10s. Also, seems like the customary break schedule amongst my co-workers is two 20min breaks in that 10 hour shift. No sitting during non-break time.

It's the lowest pressure job I've ever worked but it's not actually very busy so the fact that I have to be standing and looking for ways to kill time all day is as hard as working hard imho. I kind of wish there was actual work for me to do.

So it's not just us Puritan descendants who believe work defines a person and more is better? Now that I think about it, I guess you AU folks come from the same stock.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app

Since fast food places are now having to pay much higher wages, and still struggle to get enough help (at least here in Utah), that day may be coming soon.

Sent from my SM-A426U using JazzFanz mobile app