What is your hourly wage, and do you approve of the proposed $15 federal minimum wage?

• YES I approve of the min wage & I earn up to $25 per hour (equates to 52k per year or less)

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn $26 to $36 per hour (up to about 75k per year)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn $37 to $48 (up to about 100k per year)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn over $49 per hour (anything over 100k per year)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I do not want to say what I earn.

• NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn up to $25 per hour (equates to 52k per year or less)

• NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn $26 to $36 per hour (up to about 75k per year)

• NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn $37 to $48 (up to about 100k per year)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn over $49 per hour (anything over 100k per year)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • NO I do not approve of the min wage & I do not want to say what I earn.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jazz4ever

Pretty good debate between Ben Shapiro and democratic representative Ro Khanna on minimum wage. Ben is the king of free marketers who says 0 should be the min. wage. o_O

LogGrad98

Contributor
It's worth addressing, I just haven't heard anyone address it. Care to take a stab at it?
The poll says most are in favor of starting with an increase to the minimum wage to $15 per hour. No one said that was the only thing, pretty much everyone agrees it is only a start. We have had lot of ideas floating through the thread. Care to add to it or are you just going to poo-poo everything if it isn't a comprehensive fool-proof idea that meets all of your lofty standards?

LogGrad98

Contributor
That is helpful. Seems fine. $14 in utah, $12 in Arkansas, $19 in California.
Much broader than that. Looks interesting though.

This is just San Bernardino county, where I work.

So to have a stay at home spouse with a child it would require the one working to earn $34.04 per hour. For a single parent with 1 child, $36.31, somewhat more likely due to child care expenses. Goes up from there.

1614729305140.png

LogGrad98

Contributor
Here is Utah, just Salt Lake City though.

Not that far off California to be honest. Single parent with 1 kid at $30.59 vs Cali at $36.31. I honestly expected a $10 difference between the 2.

1614729476127.png

LogGrad98

Contributor
Given a poverty wage of 8.29, that's more than 3.5 times the poverty level. That seems extreme for a minimum wage, to me.
Guess it depends on how they are calculating a "living wage" and maybe you are underestimating.

Eminence

The trickiest part for me is always healthcare costs. If those weren't a factor I could give a pretty good estimate (for places I've lived) of what I feel a 'living wage' was.

Iowa, one of the bigger towns (sure you could buy a dump an hour from anywhere for cheap, but that by definition can't work for the majority of people), you could probably find a place to rent in the $800 range for a decent place (aka not next to a meth lab). I feed my family for about $400 a month, but recognize I'm a bit on the cheap side there. Car insurance, utilities, internet, clothing costs, bit left over to do some actual living on, maybe a bit left to put away. I think overall you're looking at ~$2000 a month on the pretty low end. So that'd be in the range of $12 an hour (post-taxes) here in Iowa if there was some sort of universal healthcare.

Central Texas, more expensive, probably closer to ~$15, South Dakota a bit cheaper ~$10.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
How about not raising the minimum wage at all and coming at this from another angle.

Make **** more affordable. Home prices are out of control. Regulate that ****. Make the cost of living go down and there wouldn't be as much need to change wages.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app