What is your hourly wage, and do you approve of the proposed $15 federal minimum wage?

• YES I approve of the min wage & I earn up to $25 per hour (equates to 52k per year or less)

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn $26 to $36 per hour (up to about 75k per year)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn $37 to $48 (up to about 100k per year)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn over $49 per hour (anything over 100k per year)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I do not want to say what I earn.

• NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn up to $25 per hour (equates to 52k per year or less)

• NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn $26 to $36 per hour (up to about 75k per year)

• NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn $37 to $48 (up to about 100k per year)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn over $49 per hour (anything over 100k per year)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • NO I do not approve of the min wage & I do not want to say what I earn.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Saint Cy of JFC

To your point, do you realize that Amazon's starting wage is already $15 an hour? Talk to any UPS loader, they make good money, and they promote you to driver if you stay. And that is good money. There are plenty of "unskilled" labor jobs that pay decent. Target, Best Buy, and many others also start at $15. But should the person sweeping up popcorn at the movie theatre make $15/hr?

If we pay a better wage, tie minimum wage to inflation, and tie welfare to that same table, then so be it.
1. I don't think anyone's job at the movie theater is only to sweep popcorn They are doing other task as well
2. Yes, that person should be paid a living wage for their time. If the job isnt worth paying someone a living wage, figure out how to get it done among the workforce you have.

Saint Cy of JFC

We should be aiming to make workers less exploitable, not more exploitable, so the idea that HS'ers working a job shouldn't get paid a living wage is bogus.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
To your point, do you realize that Amazon's starting wage is already $15 an hour? Talk to any UPS loader, they make good money, and they promote you to driver if you stay. And that is good money. There are plenty of "unskilled" labor jobs that pay decent. Target, Best Buy, and many others also start at $15. But should the person sweeping up popcorn at the movie theatre make $15/hr?

If we pay a better wage, tie minimum wage to inflation, and tie welfare to that same table, then so be it.
To the part about paying $15 bucks to sweep the theater, I would argue yes, why not? Yes normally this is staffed by like high-school kids, but what about someone taking the job to make ends meet when there might not be anything else around? I think you cannot differentiate that way, or if you do then they need a sliding scale for school-aged workers, as I believe Utah has because 2 of my kids worked at Lagoon under this program at 14, and only promote that job to them, but if they can't find any, then they pay the minimum. Plus this is such a small part of the worker market to worry about. Just pay them the minimum like everyone else. A job is a job and it wouldn't be needed if it weren't making someone money somewhere up the chain.

Beer

What is a living wage? Everyone keeps saying a living wage. But from what I can gather no one has any clue what that actually means in the real world. And how to make that work for the entire country where the "living wage" is drastically different. Let alone the differences in living wages among different age groups.

One Brow

What is a living wage? Everyone keeps saying a living wage. But from what I can gather no one has any clue what that actually means in the real world. And how to make that work for the entire country where the "living wage" is drastically different. Let alone the differences in living wages among different age groups.
Enough for two people to be more than 50% the poverty line?

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Let's stratify JazzFanz here a bit:

Broken down by income range

6/23 voters were <52k per year, and voted 4/2 (for it/against it)
5/23 voters 52-75k, 3/2 in favor
3/23 voters 75-100k, 2/1 in favor
7/23 voters >100k, 5/2 in favor
2/23 voters abstained, 2/0 in favor

In total 23 people voted. In total we had 16 in favor of the minimum wage increase, and 7 not in favor.

I was really curious to see if the attitude changed at different income levels. It appears to be close enough to nearly be within a margin of error for such a rigorous scientific poll, so like at the 100k split, 5 of 7 voters in the >100k bracket voted in favor (71.4%) while under 100k we have 9/14 voted in favor (64.1%). Putting the abstentions in either category will just drive that percentage up as both voted in favor.

Might have been more interesting to see political affiliation, but I found this a pretty cool way to look at it.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
More than 7.25 per hour

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
So are you saying it isn't worth addressing since it is hard to define?