What is your hourly wage, and do you approve of the proposed $15 federal minimum wage?

• YES I approve of the min wage & I earn up to $25 per hour (equates to 52k per year or less)

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn $26 to $36 per hour (up to about 75k per year)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn $37 to $48 (up to about 100k per year)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I earn over $49 per hour (anything over 100k per year)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • YES I approve of the min wage & I do not want to say what I earn.

• NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn up to $25 per hour (equates to 52k per year or less)

• NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn $26 to $36 per hour (up to about 75k per year)

• NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn $37 to $48 (up to about 100k per year)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • NO I do not approve of the min wage & I earn over $49 per hour (anything over 100k per year)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • NO I do not approve of the min wage & I do not want to say what I earn.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Darkwing Duck

There’s a lot that can be read in to there.
A “decent living” is entirely different to a 15 or 16 year old kid than a 32 year old man with 3 kids and a mortgage. As a 42 year old man with 6 kids and a mortgage and a whole bunch of other responsibilities, a “decent living” is still subjective. Is a “decent living” buying my kids food, clothes, and a roof while making sure they can do a few fun things every once in a great while? Or is it making sure they have an iPhone, a PlayStation 5, brand name clothes, the newest and best baseball bat, access to personal coaches, etc? Guess which one I was raised as.
If you’re going to tell me that minimum wage is meant to support a family with all of the modern expectations, you’d better tell me it should be $80,000 plus a year.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Do you think $15080 supports the way you were raised as in today's terms?

The Thriller

If you took all the monies spent to subsidize low wages (medicaid, free lunches, food stamps, etc) and applied them to a pure min wage, how high would it be? Companies tend to pay min wage to employees while dumping them off onto government to other for their groceries and healthcare.

bigb

Free at last!!!
Contributor
Do you think $15080 supports the way you were raised as in today's terms?
I've never said I didn't think it should be raised. It should be. But a flat $15/hour nationwide isn't the way to go. Nor is the current $7.35 (or whatever it is here in Utah) the way to go.

Darkwing Duck

Economists suggest no more than 28% of gross monthly income should go to rent/mortgage. For $15 an hour, that's $728 a month in rent. Average rent along the Wasatch Front is somewhere around $1100 a month.

Hard to say that $15 an hour is a livable wage in Utah.

Jazz4ever

Economists suggest no more than 28% of gross monthly income should go to rent/mortgage. For $15 an hour, that's $728 a month in rent. Average rent along the Wasatch Front is somewhere around $1100 a month.

Most people don't live alone though, and have someone else with at least a part time job pitching in, making that number more attainable.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner

On that measure alone it would need to be about $22-$23 per hour.

colton

All Around Nice Guy
Staff member
I'd prefer they just tied it to some sort of index as a percentage to work as a more permanent solution, but I'd rather raise it to $15 than leave it be right now.

Voted Yes, and less than 25k

Signed - an at home parent who doesn't make squat :)
Should definitely be tied to an index. But that just makes too much sense for Congress to agree to, I guess.

Darkwing Duck

Most people don't live alone though, and have someone else with at least a part time job pitching in, making that number more attainable.
So the seeming Republican ideal of one breadwinner and one homemaker is dead unless you make $22 an hour?

What percentage of jobs out there pay that much?

One Brow

Is that mean or median? What's a typical above-poverty, below-middle-class rent?

Darkwing Duck

Is that mean or median? What's a typical above-poverty, below-middle-class rent?
No clue. I did a search for average rent in Utah and roughly averaged the different Wasatch front counties and rounded down a bit.

General info for a general point. Just like $15 an hour gets you roughly around $800 a month for rent/mortgage to fit the 28% suggestion. How common and what quality are $800 a month rentals?

Gameface

IT'S TIME TO GET YOUR GAMEFACE ON!
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
A quick search I just did for $600-$800 turned up rooms for rent in the Salt Lake valley, many of them included a private bathroom, some didn't.

TheGoldStandard

Many of my clients are already going to partially automated. So far no one has been let go, but there aren't new hires either. At $15 in some of these states, a lot of people will lose jobs as automation becomes more economical. If as an employer, I have certain jobs I could create, but the cost to operate is too high to make a profit, I don't make those jobs, so you have to be careful with the tradeoffs. Other countries that have raised minimum wage are already seeing an acceleration to automation. It is a fact.

It is also a fact that minimum wage was created to keep women and minorities out of the job force (Chinese railroad workers were a big "problem" for white men wanting jobs after the great depression. Now it can keep less qualified people out of the workforce, and accelerate the automation movement. If an employer is willing to hire someone and give them experience, but can really only afford $10 per hour to make the position net positive or even neutral for the employer, he won't be creating jobs at $15/hour. Additionally, minimum wage workers can often only afford to shop at places that have minimum wage employees (cheap fast food, clothing stores, etc.). There is a direct correlation to retail pricing increases with businesses that tend to have minimum/lower wage workforces (and a similar but attenuated impact for other businesses).

A minimum wage is simply a band-aid for our failure as a society to put the large majority of our citizens on a path to achieving skills for good paying jobs that has had a disparate impact on minorities. We need to put better programs to give all people that need it a better opportunity to get into colleges and many of the trades, in which the availability of skills workers is declining. Keep in mind that over 50% of American households pay ZERO federal tax (this is a long-term trend). Clearly we have a problem.

Raising minimum wage to a degree is a necessity to deal with inflation, but it masks the true issues.

Another idea is since we have crumbling roads, etc. Don't just give money. Have programs that will help people improve our aging infrastructure. Give jobs where people can learn skills and continue to thrive.

Tldr: Minimum wage is a band aid. Let's stop temporary stop-gaps, and stop throwing aimless money at the problem. Let's give everyone an opportunity to get skills to earn a living wage. Let's protect those that truly cannot, and stop sympathizing for those that simply choose not to do anything to better themselves.