What's new

The mystery man Tony Jones was talking about

Jerami Grant is a guy who should obviously be traded but I can’t remember any trade buzz about him whatsoever.
Portland kinda came out and just said he wasn’t for sale. Take it for what it’s worth. They didn’t seem to be shopping or actively entertaining deals for him or Brogdon. Weird.

Jerami Grant is a guy who should obviously be traded but I can’t remember any trade buzz about him whatsoever.
Tony Jones said the the dude we were trying to trade for had no buzz at all. That we would have all been shocked by the trade

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I remember an interview with Larry Miller one year after a very quiet trade deadline. Someone asked Larry how close the Jazz had come to actually making a trade. He said they had gotten as far as bringing a player in for a physical before a trade fell through. Nobody expected that answer, and it caused a little buzz around the Jazz for a few days. He obviously wouldn't say who the player was. All these years later, I'd still like to know who it was. Wouldn't it be great if some insiders would write a book with all the behind-the scenes stories about the team and the front office. Things from the past that weren't made public, but really don't need to be secret anymore. I would actually pay money to read a book like that.
I don't know. Maybe there's something out there already and I've just missed it.

I remember an interview with Larry Miller one year after a very quiet trade deadline. Someone asked Larry how close the Jazz had come to actually making a trade. He said they had gotten as far as bringing a player in for a physical before a trade fell through. Nobody expected that answer, and it caused a little buzz around the Jazz for a few days. He obviously wouldn't say who the player was. All these years later, I'd still like to know who it was. Wouldn't it be great if some insiders would write a book with all the behind-the scenes stories about the team and the front office. Things from the past that weren't made public, but really don't need to be secret anymore. I would actually pay money to read a book like that.
I don't know. Maybe there's something out there already and I've just missed it.
There are a lot of these I'd like to know. There was a mystery man that Tony Jones said we almost obtained back like 3 years ago. Forget his name, but I think it was speculated that one dude from Orlando. I know that's super vague but he was a wing who had okay scoring numbers, would be a good bench guy and could start for some teams but not a strong starter.

Anyway, most of these "what if" scenarios are from eras where nobody is around to tell the story. Last night I was thinking about how the dynamics of beat writing has changed. For instance, not that any of us know Tony on a personal level, but it's different with Twitter and the internet and being able to interact with people that we at least have an idea of who Tony is, a bit about his background, a bit about his personality, etc., because of the way the internet has changed access. Contrast this to the late 90s / early 2000s (even with the internet) and you had someone like Tim Buckley with the Deseret News. I have no clue who that guy is. I have no clue if there's any basketball background or if he was just a journalist and took that job. The only way there was any kind of interaction (that I recall) was when he would go on something like "Talkin' Sports" and field email questions. These people are all long gone and who knows what they knew. It didn't ever sound like they knew much. Again, this was also in the days where the guys on KFAN were sources, not because they were good, but because there really weren't other sources out there. I remember sending in faxes of fake trades that they'd read on air (I was in high school). At that time, there was something more official about having a fax machine that gave it more legitimacy.

There are a lot of these I'd like to know. There was a mystery man that Tony Jones said we almost obtained back like 3 years ago. Forget his name, but I think it was speculated that one dude from Orlando. I know that's super vague but he was a wing who had okay scoring numbers, would be a good bench guy and could start for some teams but not a strong starter.

Anyway, most of these "what if" scenarios are from eras where nobody is around to tell the story. Last night I was thinking about how the dynamics of beat writing has changed. For instance, not that any of us know Tony on a personal level, but it's different with Twitter and the internet and being able to interact with people that we at least have an idea of who Tony is, a bit about his background, a bit about his personality, etc., because of the way the internet has changed access. Contrast this to the late 90s / early 2000s (even with the internet) and you had someone like Tim Buckley with the Deseret News. I have no clue who that guy is. I have no clue if there's any basketball background or if he was just a journalist and took that job. The only way there was any kind of interaction (that I recall) was when he would go on something like "Talkin' Sports" and field email questions. These people are all long gone and who knows what they knew. It didn't ever sound like they knew much. Again, this was also in the days where the guys on KFAN were sources, not because they were good, but because there really weren't other sources out there. I remember sending in faxes of fake trades that they'd read on air (I was in high school). At that time, there was something more official about having a fax machine that gave it more legitimacy.
Monty missed his era. He could have crushed it as a fake info guy.

Excellent, excellent job, guys. Everything felt pretty damn professional. A couple minor wrinkles to work out but that’s to be expected. Hell, I’ve listened to every episode of Bill Simmons The Rewatchables podcast and some of the early ones were a little rough.

This was great. Tony felt very comfortable the entire time which I think is of the utmost importance. You both have good voices and ones that are distinctly different from one another which helps. Overall, you guys were strong at not talking over one another, Tony included. Knowing when to just shutup and listen is not as easy as it sounds and you guys were great at it.

I like the “Is it something?” bit as well. Just a really strong job overall. Proud of you two.

Last edited:
Excellent, excellent job, guys. Everything felt pretty damn professional. A couple minor wrinkles to work out but that’s to be expected. Hell, I’ve listened to every episode of Bill Simmons The Rewatchables podcast and some of the early ones were a little rough.

This was great. Tony felt very comfortable the entire time which I think is of the utmost importance. You both have good voices and ones that are distinctly different from one another which helps. Overall, you guys were strong at not knocking on top of one another, Tony included. Knowing when to just shutup and listen is not as easy as it sounds and you guys were great at it.

I like the “Is it something?” bit as well. Just a really strong job overall. Proud of you two.
Thank you! We are getting closer to where we want to be. Lots of ideas. Wish we had a little more time but think we have some fun things coming.

I haven’t listened to any other episodes yet. Do you do this podcast every week? Every two weeks? Do you have a guest on every episode? I feel like that could be tough to pull off consistently and it might be better to try to get a guest every other episode or so…IDK. Have you tried to get any players on yet? Lesser ones obviously…maybe g league guys? Or even ex-players who’re elsewhere now or retired?

I haven’t listened to any other episodes yet. Do you do this podcast every week? Every two weeks? Do you have a guest on every episode? I feel like that could be tough to pull off consistently and it might be better to try to get a guest every other episode or so…IDK. Have you tried to get any players on yet? Lesser ones obviously…maybe g league guys? Or even ex-players who’re elsewhere now or retired?
Weekly right now. I don't know that we will go the players route. Its mostly just going to be us.

Has listenership increased week over week? How many have you had for this most event episode?

I wish you would have asked if he could give an age and position at least. That would give us a solid idea of what type of future dominoes could fit that addition.

I have listened to every episode. its been awesome. i am shocked at the guests they have had. Andy and Tony were great gets for a podcast that just started. their production value has improved every episode. well done guys.
Just wait until they have Woj on an hour before free agency starts.

I don't think it is Hayward and I would be very disappointed if it was him. Hayward is NOT the same player he was when he left. He does not make us that much better.