What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

If every player in NBA and NFL has to be vaccinated why so many covid cases?
These aren't necessarily cases. Players have to quarantine if they a) test positive, or b) are found in close contact with a person who tests positive if they've not had a booster.

These aren't necessarily cases. Players have to quarantine if they a) test positive, or b) are found in close contact with a person who tests positive if they've not had a booster.
I think they are all cases though… there don’t seem to be any tracing/quarantine absences. I think most are vaxed and have received boosters if needed already. They relaxed the rules… for example a couple guys had it while on the team plane… I would think most of the team would enter the protocols due to tracing.

Damn, half the board about to become Nets fans.
Only if Kyrie is forced into retirement in some hilarious way AND Durant is suspended by the league for having too many social media alts AND Harden admits he’s fat and voluntarily enters some kind of mid-season break from playing in order to get in shape. Then, and only then, will I watch a few Nets games with an interest to them doing well.

Last edited:
And to be clear we don't have a "need" at the moment for these types of guys... the issue is they get snapped up early so when you do end up having a need there is slim pickings on the market.

We won't learn anything about Oni in the next few weeks that would change our mind... So may as well make a change early. Covid gonna hit us and some of these dudes gonna have to play I guess... so maybe he comes and blows the roof off... or he will look scared and do the "try not to screw up" style offense that seems to plague our young guys.

One thing that has been bothering me a bit watching some other teams... Our young guys play so scared over the last few years. Donovan was obviously an exception but it seems like our players are so scared to eff up that they don't really give us anything good. I'm not sure if it is Quin, the system being tough to run, or just that they aren't that good. Its weird to see guys go play with Brooklyn and other teams and seem so confident.

Forrest has started to be more confident but had some issues imo earlier this year with not looking at the rim at all... just seemed like he didn't want to mess up and get yanked. It may just be that the guys we've picked the last few years are just not that great.

One thing that has been bothering me a bit watching some other teams... Our young guys play so scared over the last few years. Donovan was obviously an exception but it seems like our players are so scared to eff up that they don't really give us anything good. I'm not sure if it is Quin, the system being tough to run, or just that they aren't that good. Its weird to see guys go play with Brooklyn and other teams and seem so confident.

Forrest has started to be more confident but had some issues imo earlier this year with not looking at the rim at all... just seemed like he didn't want to mess up and get yanked. It may just be that the guys we've picked the last few years are just not that great.

Meh...we're talking about mostly undrafted/second round pick guys who are being inserted into a well established rotation where there's not enough shots and touches to go around in the first place. It doesn't surprise me that it happens. It's one thing to step in and play 3 minutes where you're likely to blow out the team because your teammates are way better. Completely different if there's no pressure to win, your team has to play you by default, and/or there's not enough people to handle the ball and take shots.

In almost every game situation where a young player has played, it's most helpful to the team to take a backseat. The talent difference between the guys in rotation and out of rotation is huge,. JC might be the worst player in our top 9, and he was 6MOY last year. Forrest is way above average for a two-way guy, but when he steps onto the court and JC is the next worst teammate of course he's going to be hesitant. Don't think it has much to do with Quin. More to do with the team/game situation that is available.

I generally think Quin has done a great job over the years of building up and developing guys on the fringes despite being a winning team, but this roster in particular is just insane in terms of talent. But with that in mind, maybe it does give credence to the idea that the guys we have simply aren't that good.