What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Gobert improved drastically offensively over the years. He’s just never developed a post game which might just be based on his high center of gravity. He was rough offensively in those first few years. His hands were awful. Then he became the greatest lob threat in the league.

The idea that everyone can become skilled at the NBA is so silly. Rudy was an extremely hard worker and got better on both ends.

Minnesota's crowd has been disappointing.

I get it's a blowout now, but from the start of the game I expected a Utah-tier crowd given they're up 2-0 on the defending champs, and instead got a meh one.

I wonder if the ticket prices were jacked up. Just from my personal experience, the Jazz crowds were great until the point at which ticket costs priced out many normal fans. There were some Jazz playoff games where I spent wayyy more than I normal would only to show up the game and realize it was a library. I spent all the money had at the time, it was so disappointing that non one was even standing up or cheering.

Either way, huge statement win by the Nuggets.

I wonder if the ticket prices were jacked up. Just from my personal experience, the Jazz crowds were great until the point at which ticket costs priced out many normal fans. There were some Jazz playoff games where I spent wayyy more than I normal would only to show up the game and realize it was a library. I spent all the money had at the time, it was so disappointing that non one was even standing up or cheering.

Either way, huge statement win by the Nuggets.
I laughed this season when all the season ticket holders were bitching about resale value on their tickets end of season and then everyone was shocked how loud the crowds were at the end of the season. lol poor people aren’t too cool to get loud.

There's a lot of Don vs Rudy discussion and whose "fault" it was....my takeaway is that really fked up when we had them. They're really good players.
Yep, they are very good and very fun players, with flaws. Undoubtedly a winning team could be built around them, but we failed to do that. And the personality clash, especially after disappointing finishes did not help matters. Overall I'd say we got like a bottom 5% outcome for all possibilities out of those Mitchell Gobert teams. Much of the damage being self inflicted of course. It is a real disappointment. And the next half decade could hurt even more.

Gobert improved drastically offensively over the years. He’s just never developed a post game which might just be based on his high center of gravity. He was rough offensively in those first few years. His hands were awful. Then he became the greatest lob threat in the league.
Developing a lob game with Gobert's height and hops is extremely easy: it is in no way any kind of an accomplishment. I know no other long-time NBA starting center who cannot easily score when guarded by a guard or a wing in the paint. And there are plenty of centers in the league with a high center of gravity. This is a 101 skill for any big man.

What's worse is that despite not developing any inside game Rudy would pout and sulk if the guards where completely ignoring him in the paint. I guess you purged from your memory those obligatory 1-2 possessions per game when Gobert will receive the ball and then do some crazy spastic moves, which inevitably resulted in a turnover or a bad miss. Pepperidge Farm remembers.

After the Knicks, the Mavs are the team I'm rooting for most. I love Luka (probably my favorite superstar in the league) and I like their role players.

Mavs vs Knicks finals would be my preference

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I love the hack a whoever. Adds an interesting element to the strategy and it's entertaining to me to see if the guy will make the free throws.

I remember Rudy destroying that strategy many times and I loved it

Refs letting them play right now. Lots of contact

That was a good game. Mavs grind out a hard fought win

Yep, they are very good and very fun players, with flaws. Undoubtedly a winning team could be built around them, but we failed to do that. And the personality clash, especially after disappointing finishes did not help matters. Overall I'd say we got like a bottom 5% outcome for all possibilities out of those Mitchell Gobert teams. Much of the damage being self inflicted of course. It is a real disappointment. And the next half decade could hurt even more.

It really bothered me that the franchise kept doubling down on something that had such clear flaws. They made the initial decision to go for more shooting after the Rubio squads, but they over corrected and neglected defense entire. Ok…can’t always be perfect, but there was not even an attempt to go more towards the defensive direction. No consideration from Quin to change his ways or consideration from the front office to replace him/acquire different types of players.

I don’t know if it was bottom 5% outcome, but it was definitely terrible. So bad that the Jazz trade both of them while locked into long term deals. The Jazz put more assets forward to pay for Ryan’s golfing trips than they did to make the team better.

PJ Washington is the game changing acquisition for the Mavs this season. Might be the difference between an early round exit and championship.

PJ Washington is the game changing acquisition for the Mavs this season. Might be the difference between an early round exit and championship.

Obviously the NBA is all about the stars, but it’s also all about the role players. Gafford, Jones, Washington, and Lively were not there last year. All good work around the margins.

You have to do both to win a championship.

Dort is a great defender, but he’s really hurting OKC on offense. Chet is basically being taken out of the offense because they need to use Dort as a big on offense. There isn’t a ton of Shai/Jalen + Chet two man game because they are using Dort as the screener.

Dort is a great defender, but he’s really hurting OKC on offense. Chet is basically being taken out of the offense because they need to use Dort as a big on offense. There isn’t a ton of Shai/Jalen + Chet two man game because they are using Dort as the screener.
It's OK to have one dimensional player that only does one thing well... as long as you have enough variety of players who you can sub in at the right situation. Dort playing 40min definitely won't cut it.

It's OK to have one dimensional player that only does one thing well... as long as you have enough variety of players who you can sub in at the right situation. Dort playing 40min definitely won't cut it.

I think they are probably doing a little too much matchup hunting on offense as well. That's also a reason why Dort is so involved in the offensive actions, but I think they would be better off tucking him away in a corner and just accepting that they need to go best vs best. They need to get Chet involved instead of having him tucked awat.

I think Murray was fined $100,000 fwiw

yeah but he really should have been suspended. That was dangerous and stupid to throw something on the floor like that during game play