What's new

The *OFFICAIL* Jazzfanz Crypto Mining Thread

My struggle resulted in not exploring mining right now.
My kids are XBoxers, and the games I have on the PC that I like don't require a lot because they're not first person shooter games - more real time strategy games.
If I were to convert away from XBox for my kids gaming, I could see getting 2-3 good gaming computers with some GPUs in them, and run them when the kids aren't gaming/here, but... that'd be a significant investment.
Nevertheless, this thread is fun to watch. I'm learning a lot!

So this is just like an automated program that runs itself? Meaning, there is nothing I could do if I was home for a few days to just go hardcore and stay in front of the computer "mining" at my own pace?

Interested but just confused about the whole process as I've never dabbled in crypto.

So this is just like an automated program that runs itself? Meaning, there is nothing I could do if I was home for a few days to just go hardcore and stay in front of the computer "mining" at my own pace?

Interested but just confused about the whole process as I've never dabbled in crypto.
Crypto mining is an investment - you don't need to spend time 'watching it' as it were, but you have to put up some cash for an actual rig that can try to deliver some value. Not only that, mining will raise your electric bill as the machines necessary to compete against other miners are energy hogs, can be quite loud, aren't cheap and there are many large entities out there also getting their share. It's also necessary to continually upgrade your equipment or you will fall behind as the days of using a cheap personal computer with minimal specs are long gone.

Think of crypto mining as the California Gold Rush - when there was hardly anyone there, it was easier to panhandle and find gold because there was no competition. Something as easy as a shovel could find you gold. As word spread and the hordes descended, competition to find land and resources became competitive and suddenly the opportunity was diminished because the word was out that there was gold up in that there hills. Methods to find gold became more practical and well-funded operations had the upper hand via manpower and machinery. The little guy stood no chance after a while.

Below is a good article explaining crypto at an elementary level:

If I were to mine, I would actually focus on a lesser known crypto in hopes of less competition with the risk that it might not amount to much. Again, consider focusing your efforts on a new area where there could be gold vs. going where everyone else is mining.

Last edited:
So the "new" Nvidia CMP 30HX is available for purchase. It's $723. That's not a good price for a 30 MH/s card that has zero resale value in the event that crypto mining on GPUs becomes unavailable.

At current rates, which will change dramatically in July (for the worse), that would take more than 7 months to recoup the cost of the card. Not a good idea. It would really have to cost around $200 to maybe a little over $300 to make any kind of sense as a mining only card. But there's more... Once these cards are not profitable for mining they aren't useful for anything. They become e-waste.

I will NOT be using CMPs for mining. I will try to find regular GPUs at MSRP. If I can't get it for MSRP then I'll pass. Simple as that.

So what is "money".

I've been uninterested in the bitcoin sort of thing because it sounds like some guys make up the "money:" and just start selling it on a platform where it can be exchanged from one account to another. Limited "coin', with some actual effective uses, people bid up the price vis a vis a monetized "fake" government sort of currency that is systematically inflated across the globe.

stuff like gold, silver, and other commodities are the "real" value store systems of history. Food, shelter, clothing, daily necessities are where ther rubber meets the road.

So Brigham Young had a problem in Salt Lake City circa day one. Nobody had any coin. B Y wrote aut tithing "scrip", notes people could cash in at eh Bishop's store house for whatever was on the shelves, if anything. People took the scrip like money and made it serve in practical exchanges including buying shovels or labor and started being more productive. Some folks paid their "tithing" and turned stuff over to the Bishop's storehouse. Other folks found the scrip worth stuff there.

Not an economist really. But like daily or intraday or whatever options trading in stocks or whatever can we really get rich bidding prices up endlessly? The argument that our various bubbles will burst like the Dutch tulip phenomenon relies on some fundamentals of population changes. A decline in population seems very likely on our doors, and with it most prices will go down as well. Deflation. Banks with high loads of "derivatives" will fail. Maybe these alt currencies as well. Gold bug notions seem to be on a low ebb. But we can't eat gold either. Gov bailout payola is generally sucked up by the few, the proud, the elite, the government officials and their cronies....... They bid up stock prices, real estate, stocks. Can't eat that stuff either. Gentrification or general elite estates/farms/ranches are not effective food sources. Rich dude farmers and ranchers don't know what they are doing. We are gonna first face food shortages and other shortages, then price collapse after all the bubbles pop pretty much all at the same time. Well, anyway that's the case for doomsayers on the deflation argument......

I think the recent big gov payout bills are there because some feel they will keep this ball rolling another day, but can it really just keep going?

I heard one comment about the cost of electricity required to do blockchain stuff. People building plantations filled with computers and servers to just keep these blockchain balls growing.

Non-zero cost of maintaining usefulness here.

But I am interested in seeing how this works, and thanks for the thread.

So it doesn't seem like there's any broad interest in this at Jazzfanz, and I also don't see a lot of opportunity for cooperation or partnerships (although I'm fully open to all that if it makes sense) but I'm still doing this, now with 4 GPUs and it's been pretty awesome. I'm making passive income that takes next to zero effort on my part.

If you have or can get GPUs that have at least 4GB of VRAM you can make money. Simple as that. Once Ethereum tightens up there are a few other options. They'll be a challenge if essentially all the ETH miners move to the same thing at the same time, but there will still be ample room to make money somewhere.

Oh and in the meantime, if anyone has any RTX 3060 TIs or RTX 3070s they want to sell somewhere close to retail... Or hell, I'll even take a RTX 3080 off your hands, cuz that's just the nice kind of guy I am.

Oh and in the meantime, if anyone has any RTX 3060 TIs or RTX 3070s they want to sell somewhere close to retail... Or hell, I'll even take a RTX 3080 off your hands, cuz that's just the nice kind of guy I am.
What should a rtx 3080 go for? I am looking at ones for sell here they go as cheap as $900. The 3090 look a lot more expensive around $2500.

What should a rtx 3080 go for? I am looking at ones for sell here they go as cheap as $900. The 3090 look a lot more expensive around $2500.
Depending on the model $900 is basically MSRP for a 3080 in the U.S.. But on the secondary market $900 is a steal for any working 3080. They are selling on ebay for around $2000 right now.

Oddly 3090s can be found on ebay for around $2500-$3500 depending on model. MSRP is around $1800 for most of them right now.

Depending on the model $900 is basically MSRP for a 3080 in the U.S.. But on the secondary market $900 is a steal for any working 3080. They are selling on ebay for around $2000 right now.

Oddly 3090s can be found on ebay for around $2500-$3500 depending on model. MSRP is around $1800 for most of them right now.
Too bad I can't ship them out to you. Maybe when I'm allowed to travel back I'll see the price and bring some with me if the prices are still off.

f2gJVXX.png

Anyone doing Chia Coin farming? It's super profitable right now but the difficulty is going up exponentially. I wonder if it's going to settle in a good spot or if the difficulty is going to become out of control and make it hard to get ROI in a reasonable amount of time. At present ROI is about a week, lol. I'd take a couple months and be happy as hell but we'll have to see.

RUJ7JUH.png

This is profitability using 16TB of storage. I just bought 16TB of HDD storage for about $330 after taxes but it's not going to be here for 10 days. By then I'm guessing profitability is going to be 1/10th what it is right now but that's just me trying not to think this is going to be so incredibly stupid profitable.

My Ethereum mining income is currently enough to pay my mortgage with enough leftover to get a fancy lunch.

I'm going to be forming an LLC to deal with the tax issues associated with the additional income.

Not close to being able to quit my day job (which is actually a night job) but I'm going to throw in pretty hard on Chia and will also be getting into Helium.

Wish me luck!

Just want to say that if you want to parallel plot Chia you're dancing with a dragon and that MFer will bite you, more than once.

Lot's of ways to be stupid parallel mining Chia and I'm trying all the ways.

My Ethereum mining income is currently enough to pay my mortgage with enough leftover to get a fancy lunch.

I'm going to be forming an LLC to deal with the tax issues associated with the additional income.

Not close to being able to quit my day job (which is actually a night job) but I'm going to throw in pretty hard on Chia and will also be getting into Helium.

Wish me luck!
Good for you - what's your expenditures in terms of gross vs. net?

Good for you - what's your expenditures in terms of gross vs. net?
Equipment and electricity?

I haven't bought anything that wouldn't pay itself off in 6 months or less but as ETH has been booming I'm closer to 90 days or less ROI on anything I bought specifically for ETH mining. I haven't bought anything from a scalper and I haven't scalped anything.

I have spent a decent amount to get into Chia farming and have not gotten any return yet.

My electric bill is about $80 more a month and I'm currently projected to earn $2559/month gross, although that fluctuates quite a bit.

Keep in mind that my three biggest earners for ETH mining are the GPUs in gaming PCs that get used as gaming PCs (one of which I'm using to type this message). I have bought stuff sooner than I would have without mining, but I've had relatively high end gaming PCs for the majority of my life. If mining went away today I would keep all of my current generations equipment and be perfectly happy about it.

Equipment and electricity?

I haven't bought anything that wouldn't pay itself off in 6 months or less but as ETH has been booming I'm closer to 90 days or less ROI on anything I bought specifically for ETH mining. I haven't bought anything from a scalper and I haven't scalped anything.

I have spent a decent amount to get into Chia farming and have not gotten any return yet.

My electric bill is about $80 more a month and I'm currently projected to earn $2559/month gross, although that fluctuates quite a bit.

Keep in mind that my three biggest earners for ETH mining are the GPUs in gaming PCs that get used as gaming PCs (one of which I'm using to type this message). I have bought stuff sooner than I would have without mining, but I've had relatively high end gaming PCs for the majority of my life. If mining went away today I would keep all of my current generations equipment and be perfectly happy about it.

Good stuff - you keeping your rig in the basement or a dedicated space away from everyone? I have a neighbor who is trying to get in the crypto game and wants to take a 20 x 15 unfinished room in his basement, soundproof it and fill it with some stuff. My advice to him is that you either go all in or do nothing at all; otherwise, you're just wasting your time.

I think you're smart to sell vs. holding on - I know many would say hold the long and keep it like any investment, but I think you're definitely better off turning it liquid vs. the risk as you're still getting a sizable return and the marketplace is pretty ridiculous when the word of one eccentric guy can send it to the dumps. Even if you decided to walk away, you could sell your equipment for a nice bundle as well.

Wish me luck!
I'm happy for you, my man. I wish I had the drive for this. No, that's not a pun either.

I ordered a helium miner, specifically the RAK V2. Looking at a coverage map in in a really good spot, at least 5 other hotspots can see me but the closest is 3km away with the rest at 4-5km (the map had a distance tool and displayed the results in km). I would currently be the only hotspot next to Jordan Landing Mall which is just a couple blocks away from me. That's likely to change and I won't get my unit until the fall, so it'll probably change before I even get going.

@Gameface What's your break down these days by each graphics card. I'm ready to upgrade my computer anyways. I figure mining might influence which graphics card I get. I'm thinking I should just run double 3080s since I think it's cheaper than a 3090. But I guess if the 3090 can make a lot of money and then I'll buy a second later when they get cheaper.