What's new

The Official 2013 In-State Football Prediction Thread

7StraightIsGreat

Why's it official? I'm not quite sure. That being said, let's lay down some predictions on the upcoming football season for the in-state teams. Here's mine:

Utah: 8-4 record with wins over Utah State and BYU. Is this a homer prediction? Absolutely. I actually think Utah's absolute best-case scenario is no better than 8-4, so I'm rolling with the glass half full mentality.

BYU: 7-5. I also think BYU's ceiling is 8-4. If they manage to beat Utah, swap out the 2 records.

Utah State: 9-3. Losses to Utah, USC, and some MWC team that beats them in an upset. I also think the Aggies upset Boise State at home.

A few other predictions:

-Chuckie Keaton plays his way into being at least a 3rd round pick in the NFL draft.
-Utah's offensive line and running game is the reason the Utes are able to win 7/8 games. The Utes lose to all of the "big dogs" on their schedule. (USC, Oregon, and Stanford) and pull off a home win against UCLA.
-BYU is a decent team, but like Utah, the schedule is just too hard to see 9 or 10 wins.
-All 3 teams win their bowl games.

There it is bitches. Flame on.

BYU beats Middle Tennessee on a last second field goal and Bronco Mendenhall immediately ascends from the sidelines to go sit at the right hand of God.

In Hawaii, QB coach Jordan Wynn injures his shoulder moving Gatorade jugs.

Why's it official? I'm not quite sure. That being said, let's lay down some predictions on the upcoming football season for the in-state teams. Here's mine:

Utah: 8-4 record with wins over Utah State and BYU. Is this a homer prediction? Absolutely. I actually think Utah's absolute best-case scenario is no better than 8-4, so I'm rolling with the glass half full mentality.

BYU: 7-5. I also think BYU's ceiling is 8-4. If they manage to beat Utah, swap out the 2 records.

Utah State: 9-3. Losses to Utah, USC, and some MWC team that beats them in an upset. I also think the Aggies upset Boise State at home.

A few other predictions:

-Chuckie Keaton plays his way into being at least a 3rd round pick in the NFL draft.
-Utah's offensive line and running game is the reason the Utes are able to win 7/8 games. The Utes lose to all of the "big dogs" on their schedule. (USC, Oregon, and Stanford) and pull off a home win against UCLA.
-BYU is a decent team, but like Utah, the schedule is just too hard to see 9 or 10 wins.
-All 3 teams win their bowl games.

There it is bitches. Flame on.

Good predictions..... cant hate on any of it.

I think the utes and cougs ceilings are 8-4 as well and I think the cougs finish 7-5, but I think the utes end up 6-6 (they have the 12th toughest schedule in the nation)
Also think chuckie is the best quarterback in the state and the 3rd best player/nfl prospect in the state (behind van noy and Hoffman)

For the utes im interested to see what trevor riley does this year and how high he can get himself in the nfl draft, and of course Im excited to see what travis Wilson does (especially after a spectacular scrimmage).
I think both utes and cougars secondaries are jacked up, but it will hurt the utes more because the pac 12 seems to be a pass happy quarterback driven conference.
Also curious how good utes receivers will be.... Dres Anderson and Kenneth scott both have lots of talent and potential but have not really shown it yet (likely due to Jordan wynn at qb)..... Love their tight ends doe.

BYU has possibly their best receiving core of all time, but an inexperienced qb who, while super fast and athletic, doesn't seem to be very accurate... Love cougars stable of running backs (sophomore Jamaal Williams is only 18 years old!)..... questions at O line..... Pretty good tight ends...... New receivers coach, O line coach, quarterback coach, and offensive coordinator.

Defensively byu has a great front seven...... D-line should be a strength (though losing ziggy may hurt a little, but watch out for kafusi)...... Linebackers are another position that might be the best they have ever had (van noy and Hadley both getting lots of NFL love, while unga and fua are both very good.)....... defensive backs might be as bed as they have ever been (but whats new right?) but at least they have two solid safeties.

BYU 12 -0
Utah State 7-5
Utah 4-8

Margin of error + or - 2

2879775-internet_troll.jpg

Also think chuckie is the best quarterback in the state

I don't. Keaton is good, no doubt about it, but I see him ending the year battling Hill for 2nd/3rd in the state. Everyone loves to forget that Wilson was an Elite 11 QB, is coming into his second season as the starter, has an OL, better RB group, better WR's and some have said the best TE's in the PAC-12...plus Dennis Erickson. Keaton's specialty is his legs, and as terrible as Utah's run defense was last year, in the second half Utah held him to 23 yards rushing on 7 carries. Everyone really tends to forget how DREADFUL USU's schedule was. It was pathetic.

and the 3rd best player/nfl prospect in the state (behind van noy and Hoffman)

I'd put the NFL prospects as follows:

#1 - Trevor Reilly. NFL.com already has him listed as a better prospect and going higher in the draft.
#2/3 - Tenny Palepoi/Van Noy - I put this as a toss up. All Utah does is churn out NFL DT's. I think Van Noy will slip due to not having the hogs in front of him eating up blocks. He will struggle initially and it will hurt his draft stock.

I think the rest will go undrafted (Hoffman, Blechen, etc). Keaton will stay for his senior season because USU is going to fall hard this year.

I think both utes and cougars secondaries are jacked up, but it will hurt the utes more because the pac 12 seems to be a pass happy quarterback driven conference.

I hope you're wrong, but you might not be. Utah has a lot of talent at CB, just no experience. They could be solid...or terrible.

Also curious how good utes receivers will be.... Dres Anderson and Kenneth scott both have lots of talent and potential but have not really shown it yet (likely due to Jordan wynn at qb)..... Love their tight ends doe.

I think they will really shine this year. Returning QB, better OL, better RB's, potentially amazing TE's, very good OC.

BYU has possibly their best receiving core of all time, but an inexperienced qb who, while super fast and athletic, doesn't seem to be very accurate... Love cougars stable of running backs (sophomore Jamaal Williams is only 18 years old!)..... questions at O line..... Pretty good tight ends...... New receivers coach, O line coach, quarterback coach, and offensive coordinator.

BYU will live and die by their OL and Hill's accuracy. If either of these falter...ouch. If they both shine, then BYU could be very good. Their QB is a big question mark, Williams looks to be a very good RB, but their backups have never really played, OL could be awful (like Utah last year bad), and you think their TE's are pretty good? Everything I've heard/read mentions how BYU is going with more WR sets. BYU of old doesn't do that with good TE's.

Defensively byu has a great front seven...... D-line should be a strength (though losing ziggy may hurt a little, but watch out for kafusi)......

Isn't BYU bring three new starters to the DL? Also, I know a lot of BYU fans are saying Kaufusi will be amazing...and he very well could be, but he won't fill the void left by Ziggy. Let's say that Kaufusi is 80% the player Ziggy was. BYU gave their opponents 62 plays per game last year. That means that Ziggy was better on 12 plays per game. How different does the GT game go, if Ziggy doesn't run down the option 3-4 times? I think BYU still wins, but not as large as they did. Ziggy will be missed. Then throw in all new starters...like I said, I think Van Noy gets hurt by this the most. I think BYU ends the season strong, but if you lose a couple to start, then it doesn't really matter.

Linebackers are another position that might be the best they have ever had (van noy and Hadley both getting lots of NFL love, while unga and fua are both very good.)....... defensive backs might be as bed as they have ever been (but whats new right?) but at least they have two solid safeties.

Aren't three of your LB'ers new starters?

I think USU falls hard this year. Two big reasons:

1 - The WAC only had 7 teams last year. This means that there were only 6 conference games. Which means that SJSU, Texas State, La Tech, and USU had six "win" games they could schedule...and most did (props to USU for playing BYU, Utah and Wisconsin). USU played three real teams last year in Utah, BYU, and Wisconsin. USU went 1-2, including a miracle win where Utah didn't have a QB, lost their DE, their starting S didn't play, and multiple horrible calls from the refs. i.e., if that play with Murphy is ran 10 times, Utah wins that game 9.9 times out of 10. USU is VASTLY over-rated. Big time. They won't be able to pad their record with 5 lower division teams this year.

2 - Keaton isn't a great passer and his WR's/TE's are subpar. Teams will put 10 guys in the box and dare Keaton to beat them with his arm. And he will fail. Again, look at last year. In the second half against Utah, Keaton had 7 rushes for 18 yards, he went 11/16 with 115 yards and 1 TD (not bad). The problem is, they only scored 1 TD, and this is their drives:

15:00 3 01:57 USU 7 4 46 Fumble
11:34 3 02:19 USU 25 5 19 Punt
07:45 3 00:40 USU 38 2 3 Fumble
04:22 3 01:59 USU 35 3 6 Punt
14:45 4 01:08 USU 37 3 7 Punt
11:29 4 01:03 USU 32 5 11 Punt
09:54 4 00:44 USU 34 3 66 Passing Touchdown
07:12 4 01:53 USU 19 3 7 Punt
03:19 4 02:31 USU 16 5 9 Punt
00:00 4 00:00 USU 35 0 0 End of Half

Not good at all. It was worse vs BYU and Wisconsin. Just when teams figured out Keaton, their season turned over to patsies. I don't see them being able to take advantage of the MWC teams like they did the WAC teams.

My predictions:

Utah 9-4 w/losses to Oregon, Stanford, USC and Arizona/ASU
BYU 8-5 w/losses to Utah, Texas, Boise, Wisconsin, ND
USU 6-6 or 6-7 if they get a bowl invite w/losses to Utah, Air Force, USC, SJSU, BYU, Boise St and bowl game

Isn't BYU bring three new starters to the DL? Also, I know a lot of BYU fans are saying Kaufusi will be amazing...and he very well could be, but he won't fill the void left by Ziggy. Let's say that Kaufusi is 80% the player Ziggy was. BYU gave their opponents 62 plays per game last year. That means that Ziggy was better on 12 plays per game. How different does the GT game go, if Ziggy doesn't run down the option 3-4 times? I think BYU still wins, but not as large as they did. Ziggy will be missed. Then throw in all new starters...like I said, I think Van Noy gets hurt by this the most. I think BYU ends the season strong, but if you lose a couple to start, then it doesn't really matter.

Aren't three of your LB'ers new starters?

Kafusi has a faster 40 time, did more reps of the 225 pound bench test, and is bigger than ziggy.... plus has more experience than ziggy since he has been playing football all his life.
So kafusi is bigger, faster, and stronger than ziggy..... doesnt mean he will be better though, we will have to wait and see.

Manumaleuna (?) Is a returning starter in the defensive line.

Van noy and hadley are both returning starters at LB.... and unga played a lot.

Wilson may have been in the elite 11 thing but heaps was the mvp and didn't look too good as a soph. (Still think wilson will be good but just cause he was in the elite 11 camp doesn't mean he will be)

I think that your crazy to think riley is thought of on the same level as van noy.

But if course every time you talk about cougs and utes you are about the least objective person around so I understand

Edit: ziggy ran a 4.63 and kafusi ran a 4.67.
Kafusi is 2 inches taller and 12 pounds heavier than ziggy.
Kafusi did 6 more reps of the 225 lb bench (27 total)

I think Utah gets rolled with a new offensive coordinator against a stout defense opening day. I'd be scared if BYU opened against Utah St. with the newness of the offense. In order to win, Utah will need to do so ugly with the Defense coming up big, like BYU did last year. Utah's D is not nearly what BYU's Defense was last year, especially opening day.
Here's the thing, if Utah loses, they could start 1-7 (win against Weber St.) They would likely be underdogs in all of those games but Weber (depending on how BYU gels.) Three of the next four they probably have more talent, but the wins are not going to be gimmies. I am also not impressed with Utah's depth on offence as they face a murderer's row of hard-hitting defenses.

I think BYU's Defense will be good enough to keep them in almost every game like last year, and a lot will depend upon Hill. Hill at least has the ability to toss the rock further than 10 yards which will mean a lot with the quality of BYU's receiving corps. The TE isn't as big as it usually is for BYU because BYU doesn't usually have that many great receivers. I might be tempted to forgo a pass catching TE for an extra blocker due to the question marks at O line for BYU. Defenses will not be able to stack the box on BYU and the running game should get moving sooner. Additionally, Anae is an elite OL coach (was just a wizard here in Tucson) so I think he will stop the bleeding there.
That said, BYU has a tough schedule, but I think they get by Utah (bye week before game, Utah has homecoming, that is usually reversed) and get 7 to 8 games, go to a bowl, and win against an also-ran PAC team.

Utah St. gets to a bowl game.

I think Utah gets rolled with a new offensive coordinator against a stout defense opening day. I'd be scared if BYU opened against Utah St. with the newness of the offense. In order to win, Utah will need to do so ugly with the Defense coming up big, like BYU did last year. Utah's D is not nearly what BYU's Defense was last year, especially opening day.
Here's the thing, if Utah loses, they could start 1-7 (win against Weber St.) They would likely be underdogs in all of those games but Weber (depending on how BYU gels.) Three of the next four they probably have more talent, but the wins are not going to be gimmies. I am also not impressed with Utah's depth on offence as they face a murderer's row of hard-hitting defenses.

I think BYU's Defense will be good enough to keep them in almost every game like last year, and a lot will depend upon Hill. Hill at least has the ability to toss the rock further than 10 yards which will mean a lot with the quality of BYU's receiving corps. The TE isn't as big as it usually is for BYU because BYU doesn't usually have that many great receivers. I might be tempted to forgo a pass catching TE for an extra blocker due to the question marks at O line for BYU. Defenses will not be able to stack the box on BYU and the running game should get moving sooner. Additionally, Anae is an elite OL coach (was just a wizard here in Tucson) so I think he will stop the bleeding there.
That said, BYU has a tough schedule, but I think they get by Utah (bye week before game, Utah has homecoming, that is usually reversed) and get 7 to 8 games, go to a bowl, and win against an also-ran PAC team.

Utah St. gets to a bowl game.

Maybe just stick to Jazz analysis.

This post brought to you by UGLI baby