What's new

The Official 2013 In-State Football Prediction Thread

I think Utah gets rolled with a new offensive coordinator against a stout defense opening day. I'd be scared if BYU opened against Utah St. with the newness of the offense. In order to win, Utah will need to do so ugly with the Defense coming up big, like BYU did last year. Utah's D is not nearly what BYU's Defense was last year, especially opening day.
Here's the thing, if Utah loses, they could start 1-7 (win against Weber St.) They would likely be underdogs in all of those games but Weber (depending on how BYU gels.) Three of the next four they probably have more talent, but the wins are not going to be gimmies. I am also not impressed with Utah's depth on offence as they face a murderer's row of hard-hitting defenses.

I think BYU's Defense will be good enough to keep them in almost every game like last year, and a lot will depend upon Hill. Hill at least has the ability to toss the rock further than 10 yards which will mean a lot with the quality of BYU's receiving corps. The TE isn't as big as it usually is for BYU because BYU doesn't usually have that many great receivers. I might be tempted to forgo a pass catching TE for an extra blocker due to the question marks at O line for BYU. Defenses will not be able to stack the box on BYU and the running game should get moving sooner. Additionally, Anae is an elite OL coach (was just a wizard here in Tucson) so I think he will stop the bleeding there.
That said, BYU has a tough schedule, but I think they get by Utah (bye week before game, Utah has homecoming, that is usually reversed) and get 7 to 8 games, go to a bowl, and win against an also-ran PAC team.

Utah St. gets to a bowl game.

I lol'd at this entire post.

Samezies.

Weird cuz framer is usually spot on when it comes to the Jazz. Probly a byu homer.

This post brought to you by UGLI baby

Definately a BYU homer.

That being said, I am a Utah homer, but I do realize Utah could easily miss a bowl game for the 2nd straight year if things don't go right, but I would BET THE FARM that Utah doesn't start 1-and-7 or anything close to that. I also love how Utah State and BYU fans feel that Utah is in trouble of losing both games. I know this sounds CRAZY, but Utah is 15-and-1 in the last 16 against Utah State and has won 7 of the last 10 against BYU.

Could Utah lose both of those games? Most certainly. But with recent history considered, I would think both fan bases wouldn't be so quick to write their games against Utah off as W's.

Definately a BYU homer.

That being said, I am a Utah homer, but I do realize Utah could easily miss a bowl game for the 2nd straight year if things don't go right, but I would BET THE FARM that Utah doesn't start 1-and-7 or anything close to that. I also love how Utah State and BYU fans feel that Utah is in trouble of losing both games. I know this sounds CRAZY, but Utah is 15-and-1 in the last 16 against Utah State and has won 7 of the last 10 against BYU.

Could Utah lose both of those games? Most certainly. But with recent history considered, I would think both fan bases wouldn't be so quick to write their games against Utah off as W's.

Saying that they will start 1-7 is just retarded..... total haterism right there.

I think the byu utah game is a toss up but I take the cougs..... simply for the fact that they are due :)

Kentucky plays 6 of their 12 games against top 10 teams and .. well.. we suck perennially.. so not looking good.

4-8

I'm enjoying reading the BYU fans write ups on this board. It's like reading a great review of something and then the reviewer ends up giving 2 stars or a C or something. What games specifically are you having trouble with? They would've beat Notre Dame last year if Goldilocks Nelson could've hit a 10 yard pass that was wide open in the middle of the field. They lost to Boise by 1 in a game where they used about a 5 play playbook and never tried to do anything. Wisconsin is like Stanford where they just try to manhandle you, and BYU historically hasn't had any trouble with those kind of teams. Texas has been average for years.

Saying that they will start 1-7 is just retarded..... total haterism right there.

I think the byu utah game is a toss up but I take the cougs..... simply for the fact that they are due :)

Woah, I didn't say they would go 1-7, but the Vegas line will say 3-5 with two of those favored games being pretty close to a pick-em. I think Utah is better than Utah St., but its a tough out on the first game of the season with a new offensive system. They would be better warming up with a cupcake like Southwest Directional Bible Tech like their basketball team does.
Of course history says those games have been problematic for Ute Basketball. . .

I'm enjoying reading the BYU fans write ups on this board. It's like reading a great review of something and then the reviewer ends up giving 2 stars or a C or something. What games specifically are you having trouble with? They would've beat Notre Dame last year if Goldilocks Nelson could've hit a 10 yard pass that was wide open in the middle of the field. They lost to Boise by 1 in a game where they used about a 5 play playbook and never tried to do anything. Wisconsin is like Stanford where they just try to manhandle you, and BYU historically hasn't had any trouble with those kind of teams. Texas has been average for years.

Problem is that when I review their team there is ALOT to like, but their corners could be historically bad (craig bills hurt his shoulder yesterday too) and their O-line has plenty of issues.
Throw in all the new coaches and a pretty new qb..... and you have their C grade.

(craig bills hurt his shoulder yesterday too)

Yeah, I saw that. Didn't seem like it was anything too big. Bills and Soreson are both big hitters so hopefully that duo can stay healthy for entertainment purposes if nothing else. Though since about two clips leaked out of the scrimmage yesterday and one of them was this baby where their backups got steamrolled......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLTs4X7j5ic

Algie Brown is a beast though. Him and Lasike will be doing that to a lot of guys if they get touches.

Definately a BYU homer.

With the team's the way are lately, I think all three go 1-1. I'm not going to predict which games are wins and losses though.

Yeah, I saw that. Didn't seem like it was anything too big. Bills and Soreson are both big hitters so hopefully that duo can stay healthy for entertainment purposes if nothing else. Though since about two clips leaked out of the scrimmage yesterday and one of them was this baby where their backups got steamrolled......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLTs4X7j5ic

Algie Brown is a beast though. Him and Lasike will be doing that to a lot of guys if they get touches.

Awesome run/horrible tackling.

I agree about bills and Sorenson being beasts and big hitters...... We need them both healthy to help out with the corner situation..... Hope bills is okey dokey.

Bills and Sorenson can hit like monsters, but they're liabilities in pass coverage. Not a good thing considering the CB situation they have. BYU's front 7 is amazing but if they don't constantly get to the opposing QB, I see them giving up huge passing numbers most weeks.

Bills and Sorenson can hit like monsters, but they're liabilities in pass coverage. Not a good thing considering the CB situation they have. BYU's front 7 is amazing but if they don't constantly get to the opposing QB, I see them giving up huge passing numbers most weeks.

I guess the fact that a lot of college QBs just aren't that good helps alleviate some of that worry. I think Soreson has proven to be about average in coverage, but he has seemed to improve a bit over the years so we'll see if he can take one more step up. Bills likely will be better considering he is a starter now and has probably got the mission kinks worked out by now. If guys don't improve too much between that first year back from a mission and the next season, they usually just aren't very good.

Kentucky still has a football program?

Unbelievable how much fan support they get. One of the best travelling fan bases.. I just don't get it.
It's one thing to stay with your team during down years.. but how do you develop and maintain a following when you have NEVER knocked on the door of even finishing top3 conference??

Unbelievable how much fan support they get. One of the best travelling fan bases.. I just don't get it.
It's one thing to stay with your team during down years.. but how do you develop and maintain a following when you have NEVER knocked on the door of even finishing top13 conference??

Fixed