What's new

The official DO NOT draft Randle thread.

I Don't get the Randle hate. He was a consensus top 5 pick going into this Season. He had a solid year and did nothing to Hurt his draft stock. But every year the Scouts(and fans) start to dissect a players game and Fall in love with a player like Vonleh because his measurable's are off the charts. Vonleh didn't score 20 points once this year. Now you want to take him over a guy like Randle.... Doesnt make sense. Give me Randle all day over Vonleh

Good post & Rep'd.

I Don't get the Randle hate. He was a consensus top 5 pick going into this Season. He had a solid year and did nothing to Hurt his draft stock. But every year the Scouts(and fans) start to dissect a players game and Fall in love with a player like Vonleh because his measurable's are off the charts. Vonleh didn't score 20 points once this year. Now you want to take him over a guy like Randle.... Doesnt make sense. Give me Randle all day over Vonleh

Potential does weird **** to people.

I mean I've only seen like 2 games of him and a couple of highlights... so...

I like your posts.. and watch for them, actually. (only a few I do)

Was just pointing out that he CAN shoot. That's not the knock on him as much as being too left-hand dominant and being slow off the floor (regardless of vert).

Was just pointing out that he CAN shoot. That's not the knock on him as much as being too left-hand dominant and being slow off the floor (regardless of vert).

Interesting. I'll have too look for one of these rare shots and those other parts of his game.

Interesting. I'll have too look for one of these rare shots and those other parts of his game.

Cal had him playing next to the basket for a reason. We didn't need him roaming the perimeter with guys like the Harrisons, James Young, etc.

If anyone has been less-displayed it's Randle. I don't love the guy for the pros.. but he CAN shoot.

I'm going to assume it's because he game doesn't translate as well, he can't go right, he's not that explosive, and he doesn't play any defense at all. If he can't defend college players, why is he going to be able to defend pro players?

As for him vs Vonleh, IMO, Vonleh has more skills that translate to the NBA. I just don't view Randle as that safe of a pick, simply because he's atrocious on defense, and not good enough on offense to overcome it.

Think Carlos Boozer (more offensively skilled) or David Lee (more athletic).

I'm going to assume it's because he game doesn't translate as well, he can't go right, he's not that explosive, and he doesn't play any defense at all. If he can't defend college players, why is he going to be able to defend pro players?

As for him vs Vonleh, IMO, Vonleh has more skills that translate to the NBA. I just don't view Randle as that safe of a pick, simply because he's atrocious on defense, and not good enough on offense to overcome it.

Think Carlos Boozer (more offensively skilled) or David Lee (more athletic).

I watched almost no college ball before the post-season, but I saw Randle block a couple of shots within a short period during one of KY's games and they were plays during which he had to cover some ground to make those plays, so maybe he's not as bad defensively as everyone says.

Let me ask you this, PKM. Randle is left hand dominant, no question about it. For any of us that watched him a lot, you can't deny it. Having said that...Vonleh, Parker, Embiid, Gordon...I don't remember seeing any of them using their off hand with any sort of frequency either. I'm certainly not positive on this, but I suspect this this is a typical case pre draft where one guy is getting picked apart for certain weaknesses and other guys are getting a pass. Perhaps it's because Randle is left handed? Perhaps because he was so aggressive in the post where you should a lot of hooks and other one handed shots? I don't know, but I do know he isn't the only guy who was very dominant to his strong hand.

I watched almost no college ball before the post-season, but I saw Randle block a couple of shots within a short period during one of KY's games and they were plays during which he had to cover some ground to make those plays, so maybe he's not as bad defensively as everyone says.

We're talking about a guy who people here say is explosive, has a pretty decent wingspan, is agressive, has a strong motor...and he averaged less than a block per game? Yeah, he sucks at defense.

Case in point, Russ Smith dunked on him. Russ Smith is 6'0 and 160 lbs...he shouldn't dunk on Randle.

We're talking about a guy who people here say is explosive, has a pretty decent wingspan, is agressive, has a strong motor...and he averaged less than a block per game? Yeah, he sucks at defense.

Case in point, Russ Smith dunked on him. Russ Smith is 6'0 and 160 lbs...he shouldn't dunk on Randle.

I guess Mark Eaton sucked at defense too.

Signed,
Mayor Kevin Johnson

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I guess Mark Eaton sucked at defense too.

Signed,
Mayor Kevin Johnson

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Kevin Johnson was one of the better dunkers in the NBA at his time. I don't know if you've ever seen Russ Smith play (and I'm doubting you have), but he isn't. Eaton also proved he was a capable defender in other ways.

Basically, you're using a strawman argument, and it's not even a good one. At least try a little next time.

Kevin Johnson was one of the better dunkers in the NBA at his time. I don't know if you've ever seen Russ Smith play (and I'm doubting you have), but he isn't. Eaton also proved he was a capable defender in other ways.

Basically, you're using a strawman argument, and it's not even a good one. At least try a little next time.

lol.

Next you're going to tell me Cory Joseph is an elite dunker. Or that Serge Ibaka is a terrible defender because he was dunked on by Cory Joseph. Oh wait, you won't tell me the latter because deep down you know how ridiculous it is to say somebody is a bad defensive player then to make your case by pointing out that guy got dunked on.

Randle is a subpar defender but it has nothing to do with the fact he was dunked on by Russ Smith.

Also, I love the insinuation that I don't watch enough college basketball. I wish somebody would tell Mrs SJF that.

lol.

Next you're going to tell me Cory Joseph is an elite dunker. Or that Serge Ibaka is a terrible defender because he was dunked on by Cory Joseph. Oh wait, you won't tell me the latter because deep down you know how ridiculous it is to say somebody is a bad defensive player then to make your case by pointing out that guy got dunked on.

Randle is a subpar defender but it has nothing to do with the fact he was dunked on by Russ Smith.

Also, I love the insinuation that I don't watch enough college basketball. I wish somebody would tell Mrs SJF that.

Again with the strawman…sigh.

Ibaka, like Eaton, has proven in other ways that he is an adequate defender. Thus, one guy dunking on him doesn't tell me much.

Randle, unlike the others, has not proven that he is even an adequate defender, and thus, the guy dunking on him shows me more.

Again, this is a guy who by the tests can jump, has a decent wingspan, and everybody talks about his motor. Yet, his defense still sucks. It's not just subpar, it's ****. So is it because he's just bad at it, or because he isn't putting in the effort? If it's the effort, then we have to question his motor. If it's talent, then we have to wonder how much worse he'll be at defense in the NBA.

I'm not saying Randle is bad, I just don't think he has the talent to be a top player on a good team. I'm not saying that a guy like Vonleh can be a top player on a good team, but I think he has a better chance to be one of those guys than Randle does. Randle, while good, has a low ceiling, and IMO, an average floor. Vonleh has a lower floor, but his ceiling is much, much higher. We already suck, so we might as well take a chance on a guy like that. Just my opinion.

Ibaka, like Eaton, has proven in other ways that he is an adequate defender. Thus, one guy dunking on him doesn't tell me much.

Randle, unlike the others, has not proven that he is even an adequate defender, and thus, the guy dunking on him shows me more.

Again, this is a guy who by the tests can jump, has a decent wingspan, and everybody talks about his motor. Yet, his defense still sucks. It's not just subpar, it's ****. So is it because he's just bad at it, or because he isn't putting in the effort? If it's the effort, then we have to question his motor. If it's talent, then we have to wonder how much worse he'll be at defense in the NBA.

I'm not saying Randle is bad, I just don't think he has the talent to be a top player on a good team. I'm not saying that a guy like Vonleh can be a top player on a good team, but I think he has a better chance to be one of those guys than Randle does. Randle, while good, has a low ceiling, and IMO, an average floor. Vonleh has a lower floor, but his ceiling is much, much higher. We already suck, so we might as well take a chance on a guy like that. Just my opinion.

Solid post overall. And i like randle even.

IOW, getting dunked on proves nothing about a guy's defense. Thank you. Beyond that, I think your points about Randle are fair. I don't necessarily agree, but whatever - I guess not agreeing is what makes all this fairly entertaining.

IOW, getting dunked on proves nothing about a guy's defense. Thank you. Beyond that, I think your points about Randle are fair. I don't necessarily agree, but whatever - I guess not agreeing is what makes all this fairly entertaining.

Here's what I like, if you disagree, state what you disagree with, and then why.

I think it adds more to the conversation. Anybody can say they disagree, not many people can adequately state why.