What's new

The Official Go Get Kawhi Thread

There's nothing in KL's history or character that would indicate he wants a brighter spotlight. Is there a more awkward nerd in the NBA?

Stop presenting vague gossip as fact.
He has done national Jordan brand commercials recently. Why is he doing those if he doesnt want the spotlight in someway? The only other reason to do such a thing would be money. How do you get more endorsement money? Playing in a bigger market.

Where are people getting this? I heard rumblings that he's not happy how his injury was handled. That's all.

There has been rumors that ever since his uncle started managing him the Spurs/Kawhi conflict started happening.

And the Spurs had been winning a lot. Hell they looked like they could challenge the Warriors last year in the series before he twisted his ankle. I think logically one has to go to either Kawhi doesnt want to play in a small market anymore or Kawhi doesnt trust the Spurs with his health.

Sounds like gossip. Shouldn't conflate gossip with logic.

I never conflated the gossip with logic (at least in regards to making a direct connection to market size). I said logically you have to think it's the injury concerns OR the market because logically the issue shouldn't be about winning (which the Spurs do).

Watch the full video. SAS brings up to start, but then Kellerman brings it up further, leading SAS to say he has been told directly the uncle is a problem.

Keep repeating this disproved myth. KD and Westbrook had/have no problems getting large endorsements in OKC. LeBron, Curry, Harden, etc. will get them anywhere they play.
Yes, you can get large endorsements anywhere in the NBA if you are a star. They become larger in a big market though.

Yes, you can get large endorsements anywhere in the NBA if you are a star. They become larger in a big market though.

Don't you mean that endorsement opportunities become more frequent in a big market? I seriously doubt there are clauses in these agreements that say "You get paid *** if you play for a L.A. or N.Y. based team, XX if you play for a Miami based team, X if you play for a Utah or OKC based team"

Don't you mean that endorsement opportunities become more frequent in a big market? I seriously doubt there are clauses in these agreements that say "You get paid *** if you play for a L.A. or N.Y. based team, XX if you play for a Miami based team, X if you play for a Utah or OKC based team"
There are such clauses. Exum had one when he signed his shoe deal pre-draft.

Somebody had to make it. We need a third star.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...tonio-spurs-likely-season-gregg-popovich-says

This situation is getting really weird. It definitely looks like from the outside that he doesn't want to be there.

Hopefully he'll take the same path as the last Spurs great...

borisdiaw.jpg

MAY THE POWER OF BORIS BRING KAWHI TO UTAH!

Only Kawhi knows when he's good to ball again. Don't read between the lines here. He's both mentally and physically ready, but now is not the time for his return.

Sincerely,

DRose

Last edited:
Obviously you ask about him. Maybe DL's relationship with them would somehow make a difference. But the thing is that if he wants to be in a bigger market or whatever the Jazz will not be a choice for him. There is a lot of mystery about what the actual problems are. From a basketball perspective he would be about perfect. But you can't give up Rudy or Mitchell for him if you want to be a contender. So that means you have to give them a bunch of picks that won't be great, or.... Yeah not happening.

Obviously you ask about him. Maybe DL's relationship with them would somehow make a difference. But the thing is that if he wants to be in a bigger market or whatever the Jazz will not be a choice for him. There is a lot of mystery about what the actual problems are. From a basketball perspective he would be about perfect. But you can't give up Rudy or Mitchell for him if you want to be a contender. So that means you have to give them a bunch of picks that won't be great, or.... Yeah not happening.
We can give them Bradley and Tomic and they can have another decade of Twin Towers.

How has no one mentioned he's a 2019 free agent? We can't put together a superior trade package, but of teams with cap space, I like our chances and I wouldn't compromise it for the likes of Dante Exum or Derrick Favors.

Sure we could. It would start with Gobert, Mitchell, and several draft picks for arguably the 3rd best player in the NBA.

Kawhi isn't getting traded folks. He most likely extends, and I wouldn't be shocked if he took a pay cut to stay in the place that already won him a ring. He has a ring. That makes a huge difference to players.

Last edited:
Will Pops still be coaching at the end of a KL extension? What talent will SAS have 5 years from now? I'd have my concerns if I were KL.

Will Pops still be coaching at the end of a KL extension? What talent will SAS have 5 years from now? I'd have my concerns if I were KL.
Same. However, they've done a pretty damn incredible job keeping the stone rolling through all these years, that's basically their selling point right now on your point.

It'll be the ultimate full-circle of the Spurs taking the Jazz' formula for success and perfecting it when the Jazz straight jack Leonard and then perfect the Spurs model for success.

Durant brought home the biggest endorsement dollars in the entire NBA for years while he was in OKC. More than Lebron who was at his peak. So yeah, market matters very little.