What's new

The official: Please tank properly this year.

Good news is I legit think we can be a bottom 4 team without much tank effort. Might already be there. Wizards are an absolute dumpster fire... they are the only team worse than us on defense... and its actually pretty close.

I think Detroit will do some win now type of move as I'm sure they are sick of being bad... but I think Wiz/Jazz/Detroit are the leaders in the clubhouse for the tank jog. Its not a full race but maybe a brisk jog this year.
I think the pistons will get on a roll once Bogie gets back. His shooting ability will open up the game for everyone else. They should also get Monte Morris and Alec Burks back over the next couple weeks which will give them some firepower off the bench.

Lauri should have been given a chance (real chance) to play with you know who. Then we would have had a real chance to be fighting for WCF this very year or next at most. And it would have been quick and completely, absolutely for free!
Gobert?

Sell Lauri and this is a bottom team.
Ainge already set this team up to fail.

It would be a controversial take but what if OKC/Presti called Ainge and offered Giddey+Houston '24 pick (top 4 protected) + our FRP back for Lauri. Would you guys think that's a fair deal or nah? I haven't heard any rumors at all they would deal LM but that type of rebuild package would give them proper time to potentially build around a 19 yo Keyonte and 21 yo Giddey especially if they could snag Sarr in the next draft. OKC would have both Chet and another talented offensive big in Lauri to throw against Wemby in addition to SGA, J. Williams, etc and still have a ton of future picks.

Just a thought...and probably a real unpopular one here on JF. I don't want to deal Lauri but this type of package might be the only realistic one out there if they really wanted to blow it up. FWIW I wouldn't hate the idea of building around two playmakers in Key and Giddey if that's the type of path they ultimately take.

^Just typed all that out and you guys are already a step ahead discussing the same thing in the trade thread.

With that said I just got a notification that Locke's topic today is apparently moving Olynyk into the starting lineup due to his playmaking. I really like KO but defensively just can't get behind that idea. He's great as a bench playmaker though and is another guy that should be on more of a playoff ready type team tbh. I just feel most of these so called 'solutions' are like plugging a hole in a dam while two more open up.

I'm not quite there yet but maybe the only real solution is a complete and total rebuild...at least that's today's mood regarding the state of this team.

Ainge already set this team up to fail.

It would be a controversial take but what if OKC/Presti called Ainge and offered Giddey+Houston '24 pick (top 4 protected) + our FRP back for Lauri. Would you guys think that's a fair deal or nah? I haven't heard any rumors at all they would deal LM but that type of rebuild package would give them proper time to potentially build around a 19 yo Keyonte and 21 yo Giddey especially if they could snag Sarr in the next draft. OKC would have both Chet and another talented offensive big in Lauri to throw against Wemby in addition to SGA, J. Williams, etc and still have a ton of future picks.

Just a thought...and probably a real unpopular one here on JF. I don't want to deal Lauri but this type of package might be the only realistic one out there if they really wanted to blow it up. FWIW I wouldn't hate the idea of building around two playmakers in Key and Giddey if that's the type of path they ultimately take.
Pretty decent. I would want at least another first rounder though.

Let me ask you this. Why are we so concerned about "getting Clarkson going"? Even Thurl and Boler go on and on about it.

Now that there's suddenly more space inside with Kessler being out, Clarkson is apparently the one who should be taking full advantage of it. We all know that means more ball hogging, more driving into the trees, more dribbling in place... just a more JC-centered offense overall.

Why? Why is it important to us that Clarkson eats?

Personally, I expected us to be bad, maybe not quite this bad, but Ainge said his expectations were the playoffs. We were obviously interested in adding talent, but Ainge was too cheap to pull the trigger. We re-signed Clarkson and added Collins, taking on his large contract in the process. I believe that Ainge felt like Hardy would figure it out and work miracles like he did last year. There were a lot of people that felt like we were a shoo in for the play in this year. There have also been multiple reports indicating we wanted our pick to convey this year.
They forgot the West got better.

I don't think tanking is a necessity. We are bad, just give more min to the youngs and we will fight with Portland for the bottom at West. Still don't understand why we did not tank hard last year....
Tanking last year was a huge stupidy. The problem is we are bad this year and there is no great talent out there. We will be 11-15 team next year with another great talent class 25.

Absolutly, West is totally packed this year. Lot of good teams, some going all in. with this roster, it was pretty obvious that the best we could have was a play-in spot. now after 8 games, i'm not even sure we can.
I was surprised at how much pushback I was getting from this board in the offseason when I was saying the west was going to be brutal this year. Now we are seeing just how big of a juggernaut that it has become with the rockets looking serviceable and the spurs and blazers not being total pushovers. With all that said this team should still be better than what they have shown and that falls on Hardy. The fact that Hardy hasn't really received any criticism on this board is crazy. Yes the roster is flawed but not as flawed as the results we have gotten so far this year. It is not normal when almost every returning player regresses. At some point Hardy has to begin feeling the heat because if you are going to underperform then you should at least be focusing on player development and right now we aren't seeing any of that.

I was surprised at how much pushback I was getting from this board in the offseason when I was saying the west was going to be brutal this year. Now we are seeing just how big of a juggernaut that it has become with the rockets looking serviceable and the spurs and blazers not being total pushovers. With all that said this team should still be better than what they have shown and that falls on Hardy. The fact that Hardy hasn't really received any criticism on this board is crazy. Yes the roster is flawed but not as flawed as the results we have gotten so far this year. It is not normal when almost every returning player regresses. At some point Hardy has to begin feeling the heat because if you are going to underperform then you should at least be focusing on player development and right now we aren't seeing any of that.
Also Hardy being a young coach,players will listen when you are permorming well but lose lose lose and players are going to tune out on him

There is good tank game out there today. Memphis will be better when JA is back
this game is it for me. Lose tonight and I go full team tank. Win tonight and I'm back on team "whatevs... shrug".

A loss tonight would mean we are in last place by ourselves. It would also mean the in season tournament now basically does not matter. 2-8 sounds so much worse than 3-7. These are the games you win if you are sneaking into the play-in.

this game is it for me. Lose tonight and I go full team tank. Win tonight and I'm back on team "whatevs... shrug".

A loss tonight would mean we are in last place by ourselves. It would also mean the in season tournament now basically does not matter. 2-8 sounds so much worse than 3-7. These are the games you win if you are sneaking into the play-in.

I think you have to give it at least until after our first practice. We have a 3 game break coming up followed by a couple of home games. If we don't look significantly better by that point, then it's time to go full team tank.