What's new

The official start Exum thread

With Exum coming off the bench, it gives him time to develop and take his time getting comfortable. Keep in mind how young he is.

I tend to believe that it would be better if Exum played with the 2nd unit.
Kanter could be benched for the sake of getting a stronger 2nd unit, though!

Totally agree with this. I think it would've a mistake to start exum at the 2. He's a point guard. I think more damage would be done to him there than coming off the bench this season.

I think this is an extremely flawed way of thinking. In today's NBA there is way more depth at PG than SG. It may end up being that it is in our best interest to find a PG (or keep Burke if he improves) and make Exum the starting 2-guard of the future. Kobe was the starting 2-guard for LA and Derek Fisher was the starting PG. Who created more offense? Stop getting stuck on position labels and look how the offense is run. Crazy how close-minded even the strongest of NBA fans can be when it comes to this.

Hayward is the starting SF, but often times is our PG. In Quin's offense wings who are capable get to create offense much like a traditional PG would.

Exum on the bench is flat out a waste of time. He is the first franchise player the Jazz have drafted in 9 years, 29 years if you don't count Deron as franchise player material.

Exum is the future, Burke is not. In fact I'd be shocked if Burke is still on the team in 3-4 years. He'll probably be in Milwaulkee or something playing the same role Brandon Jennings did there.

I disagree with the idea that Exum on the bench is going to make him a better player. Him playing, and succeeding and failing, against the best competition is going to make him a better player. Superstars don't get to be superstars by playing with and against scrubs. If you want to be the best you've got to beat the best.

Forget Burke. Focus on Exum.

Exum on the bench is flat out a waste of time. He is the first franchise player the Jazz have drafted in 9 years, 29 years if you don't count Deron as franchise player material.

Exum is the future, Burke is not. In fact I'd be shocked if Burke is still on the team in 3-4 years. He'll probably be in Milwaulkee or something playing the same role Brandon Jennings did there.

I disagree with the idea that Exum on the bench is going to make him a better player. Him playing, and succeeding and failing, against the best competition is going to make him a better player. Superstars don't get to be superstars by playing with and against scrubs. If you want to be the best you've got to beat the best.

Forget Burke. Focus on Exum.

Exum needs to work his way up. He needs to learn how to score against bench units first.

Or skill level since he can't take it to the rim or shoot off the dribble, nor does he threaten too.

My hope is that the skill is there(all indications from his junior competitions lead me to think that) but the reason he doesn't do it is his physically weak frame. I heard an interview of his last week in which they asked him if he's going to the rim as much as he wants to. He said no and that he'd be trying to do it in the future.

I love of how Quin is doing a solid job of developing Exum by playing him an average of 2.25 less mpg in his last 8 games compared to his first 8 games. After all, Exum's minutes are expected to decrease as the season progresses.

I also love how Quin does a solid job of developing Exum by capping his minutes no matter how well he plays and benching him if he makes mistakes. A very rewarding system to play for.

I also love how Quin does a solid job of developing Exum by never giving him any minutes with all of the starting four (Burks, Hayward, Kanter, Favors) on the floor at the same time. Playing with bench players, is, of course, the same thing.

I love of how Quin is doing a solid job of developing Exum by playing him an average of 2.25 less mpg in his last 8 games compared to his first 8 games. After all, Exum's minutes are expected to decrease as the season progresses.

I also love how Quin does a solid job of developing Exum by capping his minutes no matter how well he plays and benching him if he makes mistakes. A very rewarding system to play for.

I also love how Quin does a solid job of developing Exum by never giving him any minutes with all of the starting four (Burks, Hayward, Kanter, Favors) on the floor at the same time. Playing with bench players, is, of course, the same thing.

delete your account.

tia

I think this is an extremely flawed way of thinking. In today's NBA there is way more depth at PG than SG. It may end up being that it is in our best interest to find a PG (or keep Burke if he improves) and make Exum the starting 2-guard of the future. Kobe was the starting 2-guard for LA and Derek Fisher was the starting PG. Who created more offense? Stop getting stuck on position labels and look how the offense is run. Crazy how close-minded even the strongest of NBA fans can be when it comes to this.

Hayward is the starting SF, but often times is our PG. In Quin's offense wings who are capable get to create offense much like a traditional PG would.

Clearly, from your comment, you agree that the distinction between "Exum the PG" vs "Exum the SG" is dependent on what type of player he plays next to in the backcourt. I tend to think that it would be to the Jazz's advantage that that player is a shooter that can guard 2s. A shooter because let's face it Exum is going to need help spreading the floor. A guy that can guard 2's because Exum has the speed to guard the quickest players and the length to give him an advantage.

If he plays next to a facilitator that needs to guard the shortest player(Trey Burke)then the length advantage vanishes and his offensive game is to a large degree made redundant because Exum is a facilitator first and a scorer second.

Having extra length in the backcourt without compromising speed is a clear advantage. Why negate that advantage?

Clearly, from your comment, you agree that the distinction between "Exum the PG" vs "Exum the SG" is dependent on what type of player he plays next to in the backcourt. I tend to think that it would be to the Jazz's advantage that that player is a shooter that can guard 2s. A shooter because let's face it Exum is going to need help spreading the floor. A guy that can guard 2's because Exum has the speed to guard the quickest players and the length to give him an advantage.

If he plays next to a facilitator that needs to guard the shortest player(Trey Burke)then the length advantage vanishes and his offensive game is to a large degree made redundant because Exum is a facilitator first and a scorer second.

Having extra length in the backcourt without compromising speed is a clear advantage. Why negate that advantage?

He needs to play next to the best player we can get, a PG or SG.

His length is advantage against PG's, but it's also a disadvantage against PG's. Since he has no post game, his advantages aren't as great as they could be. He could also potentially have more of a speed advantage against SG's.

I've seen him post up regularly in U18 competitions. He might have it in his repertoire(some low post scoring and great passing from the low post) but he doesn't have the strength against this level of opposition to be effective doing it. This strength thing seems to be a recurring thing with so much of his game - driving and finishing around the rim, post up, getting into sets when pressured(this one may have more to do with his handle, but strength plays a role too), going through screens and defending the PnR. I really hope he spends next summer in the gym trying to improve his body.

I've seen him post up regularly in U18 competitions. He might have it in his repertoire(some low post scoring and great passing from the low post) but he doesn't have the strength against this level of opposition to be effective doing it. This strength thing seems to be a recurring thing with so much of his game - driving and finishing around the rim, post up, getting into sets when pressured(this one may have more to do with his handle, but strength plays a role too), going through screens and defending the PnR. I really hope he spends next summer in the gym trying to improve his body.

He hasn't even tried to finish at the rim. He is nearly as bad at getting to the FT line as Trey Burke. I know he is a rookie, but he is also one of the quicker players in the league over 6'5. He should be getting to the foul line a lot more. He doesn't get foul calls because he goes up so weak, trying to avoid contact. He needs to fall on his *** a couple of times.

Might as well at this point. What else is there to lose?

Play Exum 30minutes per game and let him develop and learn from his mistakes. screw it.

Burke isn't going anywhere nor is he going to get dramatically better. He might improve slightly but that won't do anything for us. Kid cant shoot.

Still feel the same about Burke remaining the starter?

Jazz are playing so much better now that Exum has been given the starting job.

Can't really argue this. Pretty bullet proof.