What's new

The official start Exum thread

Hard to imagine that the experiment could be going better -- why mess with success.... ? Gradually increase minutes and work on strength training. Don't skip steps

Why is keeping Trey as the backup PG not an option? I think Trey will make a good backup, at least. Let it play out. If Exum takes the starting spot then great. I have a feeling he will, but he will also struggle. We'll need Trey for the next 2 years as Exum develops. If Exum arrives, we have Trey to back him up, while retaining the felxibility to extend or cut him loose once his deal comes up.

The starting issue will be a non-issue. Unless both Trey and Exum succeed, or they're both terrible.

This makes the most sense. Let Exum win the job if he's truly the "franchise player" people think he can be it won't be a problem. However this is a teenager playing with grow men why rush him?

Last edited:
Exum's last six games:
1-5
1-5
1-3
2-4
3-5
1-5

This is not a player who is ready to start. Exum may show flashes but he is a LONG ways away from being an NBA starter.

Exum doesn't even have to be guarded once he starts dribbling the ball. He has yet to make a jump shot off the dribble this year. A single defender in the paint can mentally deter him from scoring at the rim. His passing is starting to become predictable for defenses since they now know that Exum is rarely ever going to take a shot off the dribble (and definitely not a good shot).

Exum doesn't even have to be guarded once he starts dribbling the ball. He has yet to make a jump shot off the dribble this year. A single defender in the paint can mentally deter him from scoring at the rim. His passing is starting to become predictable for defenses since they now know that Exum is rarely ever going to take a shot off the dribble (and definitely not a good shot).

this exactly right here.

Exum has been so predictable on offense.

He dribbles around, looks for the pass, and then sits on the 3 point line.

He really has nothing else that I have seen. He has been so 1 dimensional so far. He really needs to add a pull up to his repertoire. He has all the gifts you need for his position but the question is...is he capable of putting it all together?

I really want to see more aggression from him. I want to see him step up and be like, "you know what? im going to be the man" right now he looks so subtle out there.

I've seen the flashes everyone else has and I'm excited about the possibilities. But he has in no way blown me away or played well enough to even sniff the starting spot. Sorry, but I'm not sold yet.

Agree with the above five posts. Yeah he has moments of rare beauty, but dude is averaging scraps, still looking wayyy hesitant and non-threatening. Feel like he could take a dump on the court and everyone from Harp to Jazzfanz would still be admiring the composure and decision-making on show during said dump.

I want him to succeed as much as the next person, but he's not ready to start, no matter how much folks hate Trey.

Fabtrey, oof, was the only poster in this thread who didn't make the assumption that starting Exum meant benching Trey. It could also mean benching Burks.

I don't support starting Exum right now, but I think Burks' starting job is in just as much jeopardy as Trey's.

That's all.

Oh, and our perimeter defense sucks sooo bad. I really hope Exum becomes a high-level defender. pls god.

Fabtrey, oof, was the only poster in this thread who didn't make the assumption that starting Exum meant benching Trey. It could also mean benching Burks.

I don't support starting Exum right now, but I think Burks' starting job is in just as much jeopardy as Trey's.

That's all.

Oh, and our perimeter defense sucks sooo bad. I really hope Exum becomes a high-level defender. pls god.

Good point on the Burks thing. I have always like Burks as the 6th man.

Exum has all the tools to be an excellent defender. he also, from everything I have read, has the work ethic to get better or even great. If he can add some muscle and keep his quickness...

I have to agree. Burks need to go to the 6th man role. He has more flexibility in that group to do what he do....

I actually think he needs to start to see how he goes.
He sits there roughly for the first 10 minutes comes in for the last 2 or 3 then has the 1/4 break then plays 4 minutes and doesn't play again for over 30 minutes including the halftime break.

I am not staying he should play starting minutes, but I think it would be good to see how he goes with the A team fresh for a stretch of 6 or 7 minutes without gaps in his playing time.

That's all.

If Burks loses his starting pos. I see it being to Hood. I really don't like the idea of Exum at the 2.

The reason i am for starting Exum is precisely for the D. I think that while Exum isn't a fantastic defender right now I think he is more effective than TB. Trey does seem to be trying but I am not sure that he is ever going to become even marginally present on that side of the Ball. On the offenive side TB still has an edge on Exum but it isn't enough of a diference imo to justify continuing to start Burke.

Last edited:
Ain't going nowhere this season. Best to not injure the potential franchise player.

Agree with the above five posts. Yeah he has moments of rare beauty, but dude is averaging scraps, still looking wayyy hesitant and non-threatening. Feel like he could take a dump on the court and everyone from Harp to Jazzfanz would still be admiring the composure and decision-making on show during said dump.

I want him to succeed as much as the next person, but he's not ready to start, no matter how much folks hate Trey.

Your comment references the Jazz coaching staff more than it does Exum. You think Exum is just randomly deciding to pass the ball off at half-court when he brings it up, or that he's the one deciding when and where to cut and what plays to run? It is clear from this that the Jazz coaching staff agrees with you about Exum not being ready to start, but people need to quit attributing the hesitance to Exum and attribute it where it belongs: the coaches. They are the ones choosing not to let him loose. Sadly, it seems the Jazz's extreme passivity and risk-adversity continues to be a hallmark of the franchise even with the new coach, at least in regards to Exum.

If Burks loses his starting pos. I see it being to Hood. I really don't like the idea of Exum at the 2.

The reason i am for starting Exum is precisely for the D. I think that while Exum isn't a fantastic defender right now I think he is more effective than TB. Trey does seem to be trying but I am not sure that he is ever going to become even marginally present on that side of the Ball. On the offenive side TB still has an edge on Exum but it isn't enough of a diference imo to justify continuing to start Burke.

Totally agree with this. I think it would've a mistake to start exum at the 2. He's a point guard. I think more damage would be done to him there than coming off the bench this season.

I don't think it's a prudent decision to start Exum. I'm still good with Burke starting and I think our team can have success with Burke at the helm.