What's new

The official..THESE NEXT 5 DAYS ARE HUGE!..thread

If that's what your definition is.....ok.

Only shoot for what you can accomplish, right? Keep expectations low. Cut your losses. Don't take risks. More importantly, don't ever get embarrassed. Always look to the future. What am I missing?

See but you have it backwards. Losing this year is the risk. It's called cutting your loses. Heard of that one? Actually a pretty high level tactic, and take far larger cajones than making futile attepts at minor success.

Making the playoffs and sending that pick to Minny is what needs to happen. We dont need two more rookies coming in next season.

Really this debate is stupid. It really is not even a debate. They are not making the playoffs. I will root like hell for them regardless and I am going to root like hell in may that we win the lotto with one of our two lottery selections.

There are so many sad people here who wouldn't dream of splitting 7's when you're down a couple hundred bucks.

I want to make the playoffs. I don't give a crap that we've got almost no chance to win. I would personally love to face the Lakers. We'd have a 1 in 200,000 chance of beating them. But if we did, that would make this season historic. I would remember it forever.

I don't care about draft picks. I want a chance for the Jazz to do something great and I want to watch it happen. So many fans of so many other teams have miracles in their memory. I want to be one of them.

Nobody wants to be the hopeless underdog. But when those teams win, and they do, I want to know what it's like to have been rooting for them all the way.

Getting to the playoffs is important every single year. Let me repeat: every single year.

So bring on ****ing failure. I'm splitting 7's.

Hoping the Jazz make the playoffs just to have the honor of being swept by the Spurs, is like splitting two picture cards.

Yeah, this was a really fun win tonight but the Jazz aren't making the playoffs this year. Their schedule is brutal. And since they're going to miss the playoffs anyway, don't just barely miss 'em (14th pick). Miss 'em as hard as you can now and make your pick better (11th pick?).

Yeah, this was a really fun win tonight but the Jazz aren't making the playoffs this year. Their schedule is brutal. And since they're going to miss the playoffs anyway, don't just barely miss 'em (14th pick). Miss 'em as hard as you can now and make your pick better (11th pick?).

Yeah, getting that 11th pick instead of the 14th is just enormous. It's the difference between getting one of these guys:

14th, 2010: Patrick Patterson
2009: Earl Clark
2008: Anthony Randolph
2007: Al Thornton
2006: Ronnie Brewer
2005: Rashad McCants
2004: Kris Humphries
2003: Luke Ridnour
2002: Frederick Jones (yeah, I don't know either)
2001: Troy Murphy
2000: Mateen Cleaves
1999: William Avery
1998: Michael Dickerson
1997: Maurice Taylor
1996: Predrag Stojakovic
1995: Eric Williams. And the next five wunderkinds have the last names Dare, Haskin, Sealy, King, Mays

Or these talents dangling ever so tantalizingly at 11:

2010: Cole Aldrich
2009: Terrence Williams
2008: Jerryd Bayless
2007: AC Law
2006: JJ Redick
2005: Fran Vasquez
2004: Andres Biedrins
2003: Mikael Pietrus
2002: Jared Jefferies
2001: Kedrick Brown
2000: Jerome Moiso
1999: Trajan Langdon
1998: Bonzi Wells
1997: Olivier Saint-Jean (he was my next guess)
1996: Todd Fuller
1995: Gary Trent (Shaq of the MAC!)

It's called the lottery for a reason. Don't get me wrong, I'll talk myself into the next Olivier Saint Jean when I have to. But not a second before I have to.

As far as I'm concerned, each game occurs in a vacuum. Right now I can care less about the bigger picture.

As long as The Jazz play competitive ball each game then I'm happy.

And we got 3 days off for PRACTICE. The Jazz looked real good last night, but getting quality practice time is tough during the season. These 3 days off are a rare opportunity for the new guys to better mesh with their teammates.
Favors and Evans gave us some quality PT last night; didn't miss Millsap a bit. IMO, he and Bell should be our 6th&7th men when he returns...
We not only got the Grizzlies in front of us, we got the Rockets and Suns in our rear view mirror. If Nash is healthy, the Suns are deadly, and the Rockets are quite capable of passing us too...

Hoping the Jazz make the playoffs just to have the honor of being swept by the Spurs, is like splitting two picture cards.

Everybody probably remembers the iconic picture of Dikembe sprawled out in the key ecstatic after being the first #8 to knock off a #1. And yet people forget the #8 Nuggets took us 7 games in the second round. Only a few years ago we played Golden State in the second round after they knocked off #1 Dallas.

Everybody probably remembers the iconic picture of Dikembe sprawled out in the key ecstatic after being the first #8 to knock off a #1. And yet people forget the #8 Nuggets took us 7 games in the second round. Only a few years ago we played Golden State in the second round after they knocked off #1 Dallas.

Hey, I agree with you in principle and I get what you are saying. However, I think had this team shown even a small amount of consistency of effort, most of us would be on the bandwagon. Unfortunately, this season has been a bad dream gone worse. I think at this point most of the people on the board are taking the approach of getting the season over with and in the rear view mirror, taking our chances in the lottery, and hopefully coming back a little stronger next season. I don't think anyone (hopefully) expects to get a blue chip in the draft, because that isn't going to happen. But maybe Favors and Evans can work on their game over the summer, Okur can get healthy, the Kirilenko contract situation gets resolved, and we have a bit better prospect at a decent season next year. /my 2 cents

Well I think we well have a solid Idea if we stand any chance of making the playoffs or not after these next 5 days. I am on the prob. not side. But if we go on a little win streek then who knows.

I don't really see any benefit to squeaking into the playoffs only to be throttled by S.A. in 4 games. Maybe missing the playoffs and keeping the pick doesn't seem that great to some, but I'd rather take my chances in the lottery. IMO Utah has a better chance of ping pong balls bouncing their way with 2 lottery picks than they do beating the Spurs.

I realize the company line will be that all "True" Jazz fans want to see this team in the playoffs. Well at the risk of sounding like a bad fan, I'm more concerned about the future. Maybe the Jazz pick only ends up being the #13 or 14, but maybe with that extra ammo they can use it with the Net pick to move up even further and get a true difference maker in the draft (if there is one).

I already admire the fight and pride I'm seeing from the guys on the court. I have faith that next year and beyond the Jazz are filling this roster with guys who badly want to win. I don't need to see them make the playoffs this year for me to keep that faith. It's time to stock-pile assets. The more you have, the more likely you are to hit on some of them.