What's new

The official: We are sick of this **** thread.

Looking at this forum you would believe the Jazz are just a scrub cluster (although that kinda fits for the end of the bench currently being utilized). The Jazz aren't good right now, but they still can be. Quin has to be better. The ball movement from the last couple years isn't there, and that is partially because of the play calling and partially because of the new pieces being integrated. This results in low quality shots, hurried shots, and overall discombobulated looking offense where everybody ends up looking confused or irritated. The reason this becomes a problem is it leads to passion-less defense and overall play; but the defense is just not good. The Jazz do miss Favors. Still, the current problems are fixable, and I believe they will be, but Quin has to bring back the ball movement to keep everyone engaged. Donovan chucking after good ball movement is way better than Donovan chucking after 15 seconds of dominating the ball. Rudy needs to feel the ball once in a while to maintain his passion, and since he's the only great defender the Jazz have that they currently play more than 3 minutes (please play Exum), it's critical. Mudiay isn't a bad player, but he's a very poor fit and should be traded regardless of what the Jazz get back. Green is a horrible defender, both in execution and desire, with no ability to impose a physical presence or rebound. This wouldn't be as problematic if the Jazz still had Favors. Bojan needs to look in the mirror and ask himself why he can't defend or rebound. I envisioned this team being able to beat anyone in a 7 game series through awesome ball movement/ability to shoot the three/Donovans greatness. I've tempered my expectations greatly since none of the three currently exist.

Great post, thank you.

I really liked seeing Rudy cut to the basket with the ball, only to pass out to the open 3 point shooters in the Memphis game. The thing that the Jazz need to get through their heads is to continue to play like that - even if they are behind. They don't pass because they think "we need a basket" - and then it's all up to Rudy/Mitchell/Conley/Bogdanovic to get them one.

I can only imagine how good our starting lineup would look with Rubio still running the show. He's 6'4" so he helps negate Donovan's shortness, and the chemistry that he would have had with Bogdanovic - it would have been gangbusters.
IMO, what we most need is a real floor general who can control the offense. This doesn't have to be an expense or even good player, just someone who can steady the second unit and make the offense execute. I am thinking someone like Jamaal Tinsley from a few years ago (not looking to get theirs).

Would also like to see an upgrade at backup center (another cheap fix).

We had both of those last year, Rubio and Favors.

Looking at this forum you would believe the Jazz are just a scrub cluster (although that kinda fits for the end of the bench currently being utilized). The Jazz aren't good right now, but they still can be. Quin has to be better. The ball movement from the last couple years isn't there, and that is partially because of the play calling and partially because of the new pieces being integrated. This results in low quality shots, hurried shots, and overall discombobulated looking offense where everybody ends up looking confused or irritated. The reason this becomes a problem is it leads to passion-less defense and overall play; but the defense is just not good. The Jazz do miss Favors. Still, the current problems are fixable, and I believe they will be, but Quin has to bring back the ball movement to keep everyone engaged. Donovan chucking after good ball movement is way better than Donovan chucking after 15 seconds of dominating the ball. Rudy needs to feel the ball once in a while to maintain his passion, and since he's the only great defender the Jazz have that they currently play more than 3 minutes (please play Exum), it's critical. Mudiay isn't a bad player, but he's a very poor fit and should be traded regardless of what the Jazz get back. Green is a horrible defender, both in execution and desire, with no ability to impose a physical presence or rebound. This wouldn't be as problematic if the Jazz still had Favors. Bojan needs to look in the mirror and ask himself why he can't defend or rebound. I envisioned this team being able to beat anyone in a 7 game series through awesome ball movement/ability to shoot the three/Donovans greatness. I've tempered my expectations greatly since none of the three currently exist.

Good points all. Most of all, Favors departure left a huge hole all the floor spacing gotta have a stretch four types didn't anticipate. The height of absurdity is the fact that AD goes to the Lakers to pair with Lebron and become the new template for success, and we turn around and trade Derrick Favors, perhaps the best defender of AD in the league to the same team that traded AD.o_Odoh!

1:17 Kiss me

I can only imagine how good our starting lineup would look with Rubio still running the show. He's 6'4" so he helps negate Donovan's shortness, and the chemistry that he would have had with Bogdanovic - it would have been gangbusters.
That’s the problem with riding with Favs Rudy Ricky combo so long... couldn’t see how effective we could be with Ricky. I will say he still drove me crazy and I’m not sure he’s a great solution, but I appreciate the things he did do much more.

The good news (I guess) for the Jazz is - if we REALLY want Derrick Favors or Jae Crowder back, they are both free agents this summer.

That’s the problem with riding with Favs Rudy Ricky combo so long... couldn’t see how effective we could be with Ricky. I will say he still drove me crazy and I’m not sure he’s a great solution, but I appreciate the things he did do much more.
At least with Rubio Favs Crowder will allow us to play big lineups that have physical/size advantages over the majority of our opponents. The only issue is that we lack the skill/shooting to be as good as Milwaukee in that department. So a bonafide playoff contender just short of championship contention.

Now without Rubio/Crowder/Rubio that completely takes away our ability to play big, but we still lack the skills/shooting to go full small. Hence a significant regression from where we were before.

The good news (I guess) for the Jazz is - if we REALLY want Derrick Favors or Jae Crowder back, they are both free agents this summer.
We don't have the money to bring both of them back unless somehow we get rid of Exum or Conley

Remember when our team was actually fun to watch?

BTW, Rubio threw the lob exceptionally well. Can Conley throw the lob? That seems to be missing a bit this year.

So here's the thing. To anyone saying Donovan is shooting too much I don't think you're right. I think Donovan needs to shoot just as much as he, he just needs to shoot better shots. I think his leadership has really been bad over the past few games specifically but this season overall. I've seen him point fingers on mis-steps that were his fault several times, seen him visibly frustrated on the court way too much. He gives the look of him just "being over it" way too much when things get tough. Tony Jones mentioned on ESPN 700 today that Donovan took the Laker game very hard and was basically sitting in the locker room with his head down and Jeff Green went over to him and talked to him. Sorry Don, you're supposed to be the solid guy in the locker room. I get there's a lot of vets in there but he's the franchise guy, he can't be the guy being over-emotional or obviously drained over a tough stretch or loss. Tony also mentioned on twitter an hour after that Laker game he was still in his game uniform sitting in the locker room. Like great, you care deeply, but you gotta channel that energy to be a great leader.

Donovan is also 23, very young in his NBA career and extremely talented. Maybe this was too much too soon on him to expect him as a 13th draft pick to take us to title contention in his 3rd season. I don't know, I just know Donovans body language and leadership as the best offensive player and face of the franchise hasn't been great lately. I love the kid, and this isn't to say we should expect this exactly from him because Dame is much farther in his NBA career right now, but the Blazers have been struggling big time, more than us even. They also had some high hopes heading into this season. He's struggled in games, he's been great and his teams struggled. Whiteside has been pretty bad at moments. I've seen his teammates make horrible decisions in those games. I've yet to see him point a finger, get down, look miserable, look beaten once. He takes it on the chin, and he never gets too up in the wins, or low in the losses, and Portland has had some bad losses. As a leader you have to be a rock, Donovans emotions have been very effected in some of these games and it's not great but will for sure get better as he progresses in his career. Idk, face of your franchise has to be a rock, and while I think Rudy is part of that Donovans gotta relax a bit. It may not work out as great as we all hoped, that's part of the journey.

Now I have a question.......if this trend continues into February and it's obvious you aren't contending for a title.....how do you feel about the lever of trading Rudy? Bogey, Joe...whoever and just starting over focusing on getting assets and preparing for Donovans prime? Just emptying it out, getting a couple draft picks in the process, tanking it out for a couple years and really basing the future solely off Donovan's prime that is probably a couple seasons away? Donovan will be with us likely until 2025-26. If we can't contend, you can pull that lever now, and have a chance to be good in about 3 seasons if you can get some draft picks back. Idk, there are times I look at it and just feel like maybe that's the best option. Obviously thats a last resort emergency lever but I think it's something to consider.