What's new

The Offseason Cha-cha-changes Thread

Or Desmond Bane. Or Herb Jones.
Ayo,Bones Hyland. Last year draft was supposedly weak too but I saw alot of Role Players..heck Luka Garza is going be a rotation player next year for Pistons and he went 55rh, Monte Morris was pick 50 and he started for Nuggets in playoffs last two years.. Jazz have been great historically drafting in round 2 so I think buying a second round pick isn't a half measure. It's a smart thing to do. Illini Kofi Cockburn a second round pick at best and was an All American, now he might now be best for Jazz since we got a project 7 footer already but if I was selecting for Jazz I would target a 3-4 year Point guard who has played in Big Games cuz if we keeping Mitchell then he needs to learn how to play off the ball more because Jazz whole issue is playing thru Donovan, he a scorer not a playmaker for others.

It's such a long time that you can say, as safe as it's possible, that it just won't happen.
I believe that's what separated this roster from contention.
Something tells me Jazz brass had expectations that somehow it would happen, and that these expectations were key to decide to go with this core for a long time.
It's funny someone would say Rudy doesn't have any offensive moves..looks like he did in Olympics. Maybe the Jazz and more importantly Donovan get the Ball to Rudy to score and he already provides Elite defense so what do people want for him to have. Afadeway jumper too. Unrealistic expectations is why we at this spot now. Everyone expected Jazz to win a title and most people who know the game knows Jazz was nowhere close to that level. Those unfair expectations is why people are grouchy now. Look I'm mad they went out in first round too but it's not end of the world. If anything it shows chemistry of this team is not good. It all went downhill after Ingles left

Whether you love Rudy or not, being at his age and with the money on his contract also going up, it’s going to mean the offers probably get worse the longer you keep him.

Donovan will get exposed as more of an empty calories player than he has a reputation for right now and also likely depresses his value as time goes on.

At the point you’re blowing it up, it doesn’t make any damn sense to keep Bojan and his expiring. Hopefully you can find a scenario where a team is willing to send any kind of 1st.

Same for Mike, kind of. I think his value is actually fine. What I saw this series is a dude that is probably paid what he’s worth on most nights, but played too many nights. But if you hold onto him and he falls off a cliff, then he quickly becomes very negative value. On the flip side, you have to pay out 90% of the cap and if he’s not moving the needle much for a good team than maybe holding onto him as the supreme good guy, bastion of good culture, and mentor for the future talent is actually fine. And if the Jazz have a quick turnaround, maybe you can keep him on the minimum as a backup or something.

Royce is 100% whatever.

JC would be a perfect tank commander. Trade him if you can get a good asset but keep him if not and see if maybe you can juice his value.

I would try to re-sign House and retain Juancho through some path. I think Paschall has a place and a path to staying as well.

JB should get a shot.

I still don’t quite know what to make of Forrest.

If you're not going to spend most of your money making the world a better place, what is the point of being a billionaire if you're not going to spend your money on your professional sports franchise?

... it's asset-collection time.
Problem is that lots of decisions habe been mounting to left things in a place where money is probably not the problem.
Jazz will have to make a lot of tough engineering to put themselves in a new place where money can start solving issues by itself.

Or Desmond Bane. Or Herb Jones.
Sure. I mean, Bane’s not a wing and he’s not long, though. But of course he’s the best of the group and drafting him might mean things that I dare not dream of right now… but probably at least saves this build.

It's funny someone would say Rudy doesn't have any offensive moves..looks like he did in Olympics. Maybe the Jazz and more importantly Donovan get the Ball to Rudy to score and he already provides Elite defense so what do people want for him to have. Afadeway jumper too. Unrealistic expectations is why we at this spot now. Everyone expected Jazz to win a title and most people who know the game knows Jazz was nowhere close to that level. Those unfair expectations is why people are grouchy now. Look I'm mad they went out in first round too but it's not end of the world. If anything it shows chemistry of this team is not good. It all went downhill after Ingles left
My expectations have been lower than probably most around. Non of the real issues were seriously taken care of, bad decisions have been mounting, players we hope cold help showed they cannot... lot of things time ended up showing were not great takes.
On Rudy, don't get me wrong, I really like him. That said, Olympics is not NBA where levels of athleticism, explosiveness, stamina, phisical power and size are bay far in top highs ever and any/every little weakness is exhaustively exploided...

Hollinger discussed some trade ideas for Gobert in an article in The Athletic today. Anyone like any of these? Gobert for siakam is one I've been thinking about for a while that might be realistic.

View: https://twitter.com/Dunzod/status/1520141829827555328
For Siakim - yeah. He's younger and cheaper. We take a small step back in the season, but we would be incredible for the playoffs.

For Mitchell - only if the picks are going out for somebody like Jerami Grant. Grant and Mitchell for Rudy would be amazing.

I don't know enough about the Memphis players to speak appropriately at this time

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Hollinger discussed some trade ideas for Gobert in an article in The Athletic today. Anyone like any of these? Gobert for siakam is one I've been thinking about for a while that might be realistic.

I don't think they can squeeze these kind of deals for Rudy, but if I'm wrong (which is the most probable scenario) ther are good trades there (at least for us).

Last edited:
A.M Hoops on YT did an interesting trade scenario for the Fraudzz and Hawks. Rudy going to the Hawks for John Collins, Clint Capela and a 1st rd pick. Donovan back with his friend John Collins. Good trade for both teams.

Good to see how people not from Jazz Nation see Rudy’s value.

Some of those deals blow me away. I wanna send Rudy to a good home, but that Charlotte deal is fire. I’m confident you could re-route Hayward, too.

Jazz need to get younger, longer and more athletic. I've been saying this for a million years, but the Jazz need a dynamic wing with ball skills to put between Mitchell and Gobert. I know this piece isn't easy to add, but the combination of those three players would be amazing.

I think the Mike Conley experiment is likely coming to an end. If he stays with the Jazz it will be to come off the bench, and even that isn't a compelling proposition.

Bojan is entering the final year of his deal. That, combined with his current age and salary, makes him a likely candidate to be moved.

Gobert is really, really good, but his offensive limitations and his massive salary make him a candidate to move. There were times in this series that Whiteside was nearly as effective as Rudy at a smidge of the cost. The Capella, Collins, Jalen Johnson-type offer could make some sense for the Jazz.

Last edited:
A.M Hoops on YT did an interesting trade scenario for the Fraudzz and Hawks. Rudy going to the Hawks for John Collins, Clint Capela and a 1st rd pick. Donovan back with his friend John Collins. Good trade for both teams.
I love Collins, but I'm not sold on Capella. I don't think he would play much when it gets to the playoffs.

If Don and Collins can run the pick and roll like Don and House did a few times in Game 6, we could have something.

Atlanta makes a ton of sense as a trade partner. I really want Huerter though. Bojan is aging and Huerter is a legit floor spacer.

IF Rudy must be traded, and I'm not in the camp that says he necessarily should, I'd for sure do the first 3, especially 1 and 3. Siakam and Mitchell would be an incredible duo, though I'm not sure TOR does it.
The memphis deal is great value but I absolutely refuse to see him bring Memphis to title contention and have to see him kick our *** 4-11 times a year. If he's traded, he better go East.

IF Rudy must be traded, and I'm not in the camp that says he necessarily should, I'd for sure do the first 3, especially 1 and 3. Siakam and Mitchell would be an incredible duo, though I'm not sure TOR does it.
The memphis deal is great value but I absolutely refuse to see him bring Memphis to title contention and have to see him kick our *** 4-11 times a year. If he's traded, he better go East.
The haul of picks we get in the CHA deal is my fav option, but I could live with any of these deals.

They seem fair for Rudy the player, but honestly seem a little rich in our favor (except for Siakam) for Rudy the contract.

Yeah, Ja and Rudy on the same team would be a problem.

If they do dump Rudy, there are guys walking the streets that are adequate: Greg Monroe, Boogie, Alex Len, Enes Freedom. Also Dok showed enough against the league MVP to give him another chance. There are also first round picks in the GLeague to fill roles. Jabari Parker is also out there.
Whiteside and Udoka FTW.

That was really an interesting read.

I think our entire retool or rebuild revolves around Rudy: what does he get us? If he gets us more future draft picks than current players, then maybe you have an honest conversation with Don. Without good players coming back for Rudy, it's hard to imagine a good 2-3 year run built around Don with only future picks.

Regardless, I don't think there is anything we can do to replicate the OKC model. Not only do they have all their 1sts, they got decent players back in their trades. I don't think we could have both so we would have to do everything with the hopes we could draft perfectly.