What's new

The past, the present, and the future: Rockets at Jazz 2/26/18 7:00 pm MST

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
The Past

Within the past 21 years, the Utah Jazz have faced the Houston Rockets four times in the post-season (1997, 1998, 2007, and 2008), defeating them each time.

We do not lose to Houston in the post-season.

929b6d28648b42be49b076013d5f5929.jpg

These victories have brought some great memories.

stockton_winner_conffinals9.jpg

74083558.0.jpg

xin_0605040614204592426782.jpg

It's also created a lot of very bitter fans over at Clutchfans, especially this guy:

usa-today-10020979.0.jpg

His name is Franky. His heart was ripped out in the third grade when he watched Stockton bury that three. The Deron Williams era was not kind to him, either. Franky recently was listening to KBME and won a fly-away trip for a weekend in SLC with tickets to tomorrow night's game. More on Franky later.

The Present

The Rockets are currently fronted by Mike D'Antoni. Skip Bayless hit the nail on the head recently when discussing the possible success (or lack thereof) of the Rockets in the post-season, specifically related to facing the Jazz:

25aoru.jpg

I recently posted a thread of why we need to matchup with the Rockets in the post season after they weren't able to handle a loss to the Clippers and went looking to meet the other team at the flag pole.

https://jazzfanz.com/threads/theres-no-tank-and-why-we-need-a-match-up-with-the-rockets.82487/

Overall, we're facing some pretty weak guys:

usa_today_10394946.0.jpg

2575911.jpg

The strange part where the past meets present

In 2011, KOC was riding high off his most recent Houston post-season accomplishments against Houston and, little known fact, KOC was doing @JazzAvenues before Jazzavenues was by posting Clutchfans comments all over the ESA. KOC was very excited about have two picks in the upcoming draft and really wanted to hit a home-run. He had been reading Jazzfanz and already knew of the @Sirkickyass prophecy of the Enes Kanter pick, so he was scratching his head on what to do with our #12 pick. This is where he turned to an unlikely source in the coaching staff: Scotty Layden!

scott_layden_display_image.jpg

KOC was determined to build a contender. He was aware of Scotty's drafting of Karl and John, but Scotty would not break his silence over the years. So, KOC took him to the bar and got him plastered. What unfolded was the most unusual story KOC had ever heard, and he had to question if it was just the beer talking. Scotty was detailing how his father, Frank, had entrusted him with drafting in the 80s and he was really looking to use this as his time to shine and move up the NBA ladder. He ended up using everything he could for wisdom, Ouiji Boards, rabbits feet, even imported shrunken heads. But it wasn't until he took to quiet contemplation that he got his results. Scott details:

Scott Layden said:
While I was in the act of meditating, I discovered a light appearing in my room, which continued to increase until the room was lighter than at noon-day, when immediately a phone booth appeared at my bedside, and a personage emerged. He called me by name, and said unto me that he was a messenger sent from the future, that his name was Rufus, that the Jazz had a work for me to do; and that my name should be known as being a complete dumbass for the way I will handle the Knicks.

25anls.jpg

He then detailed to KOC that Rufus took him to 2018 and introduced to someone he only was allowed to refer to as "DM," who told him to draft Stockton and Malone.

KOC was flabbergasted, and almost strangled Layden for telling him such a ******** story. But KOC, having a hard time not believing in Irish luck, took to Craigslist and found what he thought was a good deal an old 80s car that promised time travel.

bttf.jpg

This may sound fairly irrelevant, but DL detailed this on The Big Show with Spence Checketts and Gordon Monson:

https://tunein.com/radio/The-Big-Show-with-Spence-Checketts-and-Gordon-Monson-p425413/

KOC used up his 1.21 GW to travel to last night, where he met DL at SLC's own Astroburger to discuss the 2011 draft. Little did he know, Franky from Houston was also at the Astro Burger peering in to their conversation.

Astro-Burgers-1.jpg

DL admitted that it would be hard for him to divulge who he should take, because in 2011 he was busy landing that guy himself. But, realizing having Leonard would be a huge boon to his future with the Jazz, DL acquiesced and repeated over and over that KOC must take Leonard. KOC left feeling reassured. However, he failed to realize the Leonard he was talking about was Kawhi Leonard and had presumed DL was talking about Meyers Leonard. So KOC spent the pick on Burks and spent the next year excited about the fact that the GSW pick would end up being used on Meyers Leonard, so he made a strong playoff push, feeling comfortable getting swept by SAS, because he felt he'd be drafting an MVP in 2012, up until GSW tanked their way into that pick.

So the lunch was fruitless.

However, when Franky found out that KOC had gotten a hold of a time machine, he snuck out while they were talking, went away back to the 70s, took the name of the burger joint and stole our city uni's. Thus we now have those Houston bastards ripping us off via a hole in the space-time-continuum:

late-70s-early-80s-astros-nolan-ryan-jersey-on-the-field-friday.jpg

The Future

Franky, ultimately, wished he had instead gone back to keep the Oilers in Houston, because the whole city was in need of some serious lubrication for what ultimately transpires tomorrow.

1024x1024.jpg

920x920.jpg

rawImage.jpg

cc0f2f6f4916e31cdfe2beeadfbfc7c2

Last edited:
Feel as if every game at this point is a must win. Winning against a high caliber team like the Rockets could get us our mojo back and be the catalyst for the stretch run. Hope the Jazz bring everything they got for this one.

Add me to the list of those that has the Rockets on the top of the don't like list. And the stuff Harden gets away with is a bad reflection on the league. However, they have rolled us multiple times in the post season including their championship years. We don't own them but I wish we did.

Add me to the list of those that has the Rockets on the top of the don't like list. And the stuff Harden gets away with is a bad reflection on the league. However, they have rolled us multiple times in the post season including their championship years. We don't own them but I wish we did.
They beat us in their championship years but that’s it — we own them. We’re 4-0 since.

However, I do believe D’Antoni + Harden + CP3 is a bad mental combo for winning under pressure.

Great gamethread. Well done infection. Fantastic.

I would be very surprised for us to win this game however

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
The Past

Within the past 21 years, the Utah Jazz have faced the Houston Rockets four times in the post-season (1997, 1998, 2007, and 2008), defeating them each time.

We do not lose to Houston in the post-season.

929b6d28648b42be49b076013d5f5929.jpg

These victories have brought some great memories.

stockton_winner_conffinals9.jpg

74083558.0.jpg

xin_0605040614204592426782.jpg

It's also created a lot of very bitter fans over at Clutchfans, especially this guy:

usa-today-10020979.0.jpg

His name is Franky. His heart was ripped out in the third grade when he watched Stockton bury that three. The Deron Williams era was not kind to him, either. Franky recently was listening to KBME and won a fly-away trip for a weekend in SLC with tickets to tomorrow night's game. More on Franky later.

The Present

The Rockets are currently fronted by Mike D'Antoni. Skip Bayless hit the nail on the head recently when discussing the possible success (or lack thereof) of the Rockets in the post-season, specifically related to facing the Jazz:

25aoru.jpg

I recently posted a thread of why we need to matchup with the Rockets in the post season after they weren't able to handle a loss to the Clippers and went looking to meet the other team at the flag pole.

https://jazzfanz.com/threads/theres-no-tank-and-why-we-need-a-match-up-with-the-rockets.82487/

Overall, we're facing some pretty weak guys:

usa_today_10394946.0.jpg

2575911.jpg

The strange part where the past meets present

In 2011, KOC was riding high off his most recent Houston post-season accomplishments against Houston and, little known fact, KOC was doing @JazzAvenues before Jazzavenues was by posting Clutchfans comments all over the ESA. KOC was very excited about have two picks in the upcoming draft and really wanted to hit a home-run. He had been reading Jazzfanz and already knew of the @Sirkickyass prophecy of the Enes Kanter pick, so he was scratching his head on what to do with our #12 pick. This is where he turned to an unlikely source in the coaching staff: Scotty Layden!

scott_layden_display_image.jpg

KOC was determined to build a contender. He was aware of Scotty's drafting of Karl and John, but Scotty would not break his silence over the years. So, KOC took him to the bar and got him plastered. What unfolded was the most unusual story KOC had ever heard, and he had to question if it was just the beer talking. Scotty was detailing how his father, Frank, had entrusted him with drafting in the 80s and he was really looking to use this as his time to shine and move up the NBA ladder. He ended up using everything he could for wisdom, Ouiji Boards, rabbits feet, even imported shrunken heads. But it wasn't until he took to quiet contemplation that he got his results. Scott details:

25anls.jpg

He then detailed to KOC that Rufus took him to 2018 and introduced to someone he only was allowed to refer to as "DM," who told him to draft Stockton and Malone.

KOC was flabbergasted, and almost strangled Layden for telling him such a ******** story. But KOC, having a hard time not believing in Irish luck, took to Craigslist and found what he thought was a good deal an old 80s car that promised time travel.

bttf.jpg

This may sound fairly irrelevant, but DL detailed this on The Big Show with Spence Checketts and Gordon Monson:

https://tunein.com/radio/The-Big-Show-with-Spence-Checketts-and-Gordon-Monson-p425413/

KOC used up his 1.21 GW to travel to last night, where he met DL at SLC's own Astroburger to discuss the 2011 draft. Little did he know, Franky from Houston was also at the Astro Burger peering in to their conversation.

Astro-Burgers-1.jpg

DL admitted that it would be hard for him to divulge who he should take, because in 2011 he was busy landing that guy himself. But, realizing having Leonard would be a huge boon to his future with the Jazz, DL acquiesced and repeated over and over that KOC must take Leonard. KOC left feeling reassured. However, he failed to realize the Leonard he was talking about was Kawhi Leonard and had presumed DL was talking about Meyers Leonard. So KOC spent the pick on Burks and spent the next year excited about the fact that the GSW pick would end up being used on Meyers Leonard, so he made a strong playoff push, feeling comfortable getting swept by SAS, because he felt he'd be drafting an MVP in 2012, up until GSW tanked their way into that pick.

So the lunch was fruitless.

However, when Franky found out that KOC had gotten a hold of a time machine, he snuck out while they were talking, went away back to the 70s, took the name of the burger joint and stole our city uni's. Thus we now have those Houston bastards ripping us off via a hole in the space-time-continuum:

late-70s-early-80s-astros-nolan-ryan-jersey-on-the-field-friday.jpg

The Future

Franky, ultimately, wished he had instead gone back to keep the Oilers in Houston, because the whole city was in need of some serious lubrication for what ultimately transpires tomorrow.

1024x1024.jpg

920x920.jpg

rawImage.jpg

cc0f2f6f4916e31cdfe2beeadfbfc7c2

Very imaginative, and funny, but you lost me a bit along the way.

Would be a huge win. Obviously we'll need to be on offensively.

At least Houston played a tough game in Denver last night. Hopefully they tire out.

Not expecting a win here, but it would be great.

Is it hypocritical of me that I recced this gamethread (despite not reading much of it :) )
Good job tbh - lot's of effort and creativity as others have said.

Got my wifi working again, watching the Dallas game on the big screen now, strapped in for a good 45 minutes of the action tomorrow! whoohoo!

Houston has a couple of championships and is contending for one this year. The Jazz? None and no.
However much one hates Houston, the franchise has done better than the Jazz.

A+++ for effort. C for delivery. Perhaps you should consider proof reading and or editing that post when you're not on crack. Methinks you were the frank Layton in the story... inebriated and "time warped".

I could almost see the drugs kicking in the longer I read. It started off sober enough...

In spite of that, i am loving the return of game threads though, even if they are written by drunk infections.

Houston has a couple of championships and is contending for one this year. The Jazz? None and no.
Mods, please ban from thread.

Reactions: RJF
The Rochester Royals won a title in the 50s. That's more than the Jazz. Mods, please delete the forums because Sacramento is a better franchise than us.

if jazz had olajuwon, we would've won at least 3 championships.