What's new

The past, the present, and the future: Rockets at Jazz 2/26/18 7:00 pm MST

Yes, known playmaking PG who can break down defense Dante Exum.

*that was sarcasm*

Are you one of those that think Exum isn't really a point guard (whether in this league or Korea?)

There are plenty of examples of Exum breaking down defenses in his limited possessions as the primary ball handler and facilitator.

I think we barely miss the playoffs or get the 8 seed and shellacked by the Dubs in the 1st round. Either scenario sucks.

That was the worst passing I have ever seen. Not just the amount of turnovers from bad passing but how horrible the passes were. I mean not even close passes. We played so dumb tonight and then we couldn’t make any outside shots to counterbalance the stupid play.

Such a frustrating game. So winnable. The rockets looked like they were ready to quit when we had the big lead.

O’Neal and Mitchell both in a slump right now. Rookies playing lots of minutes and lots of games might be running out of gas and getting scouted a bit

That was the worst passing I have ever seen. Not just the amount of turnovers from bad passing but how horrible the passes were. I mean not even close passes. We played so dumb tonight and then we couldn’t make any outside shots to counterbalance the stupid play.

Such a frustrating game. So winnable. The rockets looked like they were ready to quit when we had the big lead.

O’Neal and Mitchell both in a slump right now. Rookies playing lots of minutes and lots of games might be running out of gas and getting scouted a bit

Unless you are LeBron you shouldn’t throw cross court passes. We had a couple tonight that were so puzzling.

I do think when we shoot poorly it just goes to **** because guys try to do too much... we are an all or nothing team... either 50% from three and a juggernaut or 25% and unwatchable.

Ingles, Rubio, Mitchell, oneal and crowder (our main rotation "wing" type players) combined to shoot 16-49. Cant win when they are all off like tonight.

I want crowder to play the 4 almost exclusively. I hate when he is out there with favors and gobert. If crowder is going to play the 3 then I think the 4 needs to be jerebko out there with him.

Also, jerebko probably needs more minutes. He was a plus 13 tonight (in an 11 point loss and the only player with a positive rating). Against Portland he was a plus 8 (in a 19 point loss and the only player on the team with a positive rating).

Did Quin use his time-outs down the stretch? How close did we get with about 5 minutes left? I was at a party but I didn't notice Quin stemming the bleeding when we fell apart after after bringing their lead back down to single digits.

Another frustrating thing about last night was harden guarding gobert for a lot of the fourth and instead of feeding him the ball, we clanked up 3 pointers for the rest of the game. Shoulda been a dead giveaway to toss gobert the ball

Last edited:
Yea I might be being unfair - but Jae seems to want to become an important member of the team the 'easy' way. It's almost like he wants to be more assertive because he thinks his status deserves it. But my memories are of him being more of a role player in Boston - despite having a decent handle and rim running change up.

I really agree with this. Jae needs to work more on playing within the offense and quit hoisting up contested threes with time left on the clock. I think he has a lot more to learn about the play book and realize he wasn't brought in to be the number 1 option.

For the life of me I can't understand how we missed Rudy so many times when we had a mismatch. I get that Q wants us taking threes but the advantage was down low and we just didn't get it inside enough. The majority of threes we took were contested. That's not part of the game plan. Hope they can tighten some of this up, or we're in for another ugly stretch of basketball.

Are you one of those that think Exum isn't really a point guard (whether in this league or Korea?)

There are plenty of examples of Exum breaking down defenses in his limited possessions as the primary ball handler and facilitator.
Yeah, Exum is more of an off-guard or secondary handler than anything primary.

We've had several awful games like this lately. vs Suns and Mavs vs Blazers were as terrible as this one. The only difference is the opponent and its quality.

They'll be looking at film with extra days to practice. This could be helpful going forward if the team treats it seriously.

Unfortunately the Jazz offense creates a lot of predictable passes. If the players get lazy or lose focus, it is bad news. When a team scouts us well, you can tell. They play the predictable passing lanes, switch screens, and guard Ingles reasonably tight, but not too tight to let him drive. Last night the Jazz made a lot of bad plays and forced issues. A big part of this was due to Houston's preparation and scouting. I actually think it is REALLY GOOD to lose like this. This is the type of scouting and defense the team would see in a playoff matchup, and the players need a lot more tight games to be prepared. Houston is a very good team, maybe the best in the league right now and they were prepared for us. We lost by 11 shooting 24% from 3 and 43% from 2, 22 turnovers and a PG still shaking some rust off from the hip injury. Not bad considering. Last night, the players couldn't do what they were used to, and they didn't adapt well enough. Gobert was open a ton on the roll to the basket and we didn't exploit it enough. Our D was good, our offense was not.

This year is about experience and toughness. A playoff series win would be great, but with the loss of the one who's name we shall not speak, it was a setback year. You expect rookies to slump, 82 games is a lot to get used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Exum pans out I believe his value and advantage is going to be as a ball handling penetrating/ kicking PG Not as a wing standing in the corner.

And Donovan’s catch and shoot potential is so massive I hope he’s played as a combo / SG not primarily a PG