What's new

The Paths Forward From Here

Which path should we take?

• Compete now - Trade for a "star" (Dejounte Murray, Zach LaVine, Quickley, or a similar type player)

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • Chill mode - Just ride the fence until next offseason

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Consolidate and roll with the young players more - trade some of KO, THT, Clarkson, Collins, Sexton

Votes: 50 65.8%
  • Tank City - Pursue a Lauri trade that nets us a haul and start a true 3-4 year tank

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
I think the price for Quickley would likely be less than Murray although I’m not entirely sure.
I think IQ has more upside but the contract certainty with Murray is important. If IQ came here and blew up I could see some team rolling out the max for him. So giving up a good player like Sexton, 2 picks all for the right to pay him a max would be tough. I would be in both conversations and see which price is easier to handle.

We really should have held off on John Collins lol… not having him would help in both these instances.

Quickley is good, but the question is whether he's good enough to justify a >$125M contract he's looking for. His situation seems similar to Tyler Herro a few years ago. If teams want to pay someone like an All Star, they need to be confident that he actually is close to that level of player.

Quickley is good, but the question is whether he's good enough to justify a >$125M contract he's looking for. His situation seems similar to Tyler Herro a few years ago. If teams want to pay someone like an All Star, they need to be confident that he actually is close to that level of player.
It's not that hard of a question.

Players who are as accurate from 3 on his volume while being plus defenders are rare.

The potential is for him to get a 4/160M offer in restricted FA. 5/125M would be fine for him. If we got him this offseason we could have done that and even had the values decline so it was a complete bargain by the end. At this point you are at the mercy of the market and it could really hamper your ability to do more around those guys.

It's not that hard of a question.

Players who are as accurate from 3 on his volume while being plus defenders are rare.

You want to give Quickley $25M/year when DeAnthony Melton is making $8M? Even if you think Quickley is comparable to Derrick White ($18M), do you still want to pay him that much?

The potential is for him to get a 4/160M offer in restricted FA. 5/125M would be fine for him. If we got him this offseason we could have done that and even had the values decline so it was a complete bargain by the end. At this point you are at the mercy of the market and it could really hamper your ability to do more around those guys.

If I'm the Jazz, I'm not making a play for Quickley at those prices.

Acquiring IQ without offloading a substantial contract would also nuke a Lauri renegotiate and sign. So if you aren't offloading Sexton in the deal you need to plan on moving him in another deal.

Knicks are just in a weird spot. A lot of good players around Brunson and Randle and its unsustainable to pay them all starting next year. Will have to start making some choices. If they want to retain Grimes, IQ, hartenstein then they need to move some other dudes.

Knicks are just in a weird spot. A lot of good players around Brunson and Randle and its unsustainable to pay them all starting next year. Will have to start making some choices. If they want to retain Grimes, IQ, hartenstein then they need to move some other dudes.
Not sure if retaining those guys puts them over the apron but it would make it challenging to pull off a star trade they keep promising if they can't aggregate salaries.

Hartenstein? Guys who can do what he does for the Knicks can be picked up from the scrap heap these days. Non-shooting, non-rim-protecting backup centers are a dime a dozen.

You want to give Quickley $25M/year when DeAnthony Melton is making $8M? Even if you think Quickley is comparable to Derrick White ($18M), do you still want to pay him that much?

Try getting Melton at $8M and White at $18M. Spoiler: You cannot. It’s like saying why would we want anyone at a max when we have Lauri at $17M. What you’re presenting is a false decision.

Hartenstein? Guys who can do what he does for the Knicks can be picked up from the scrap heap these days. Non-shooting, non-rim-protecting backup centers are a dime a dozen.
Nah he will get about what he has been getting. He’s much better than a scrap heap big.

The next two games are against the Heat and Mavs at home. I'd like to see us be competitive in both games and win at least one of them. If we can do that then maybe we are close enough to being competitive that we can make a few upgrades to make it happen.

If we look bad and too far away then it's time to have a conversation with Lauri. Is he willing to wait for a couple of years to be competitive, or is he getting anxious to get to the playoffs.

There is no way our FO would make decisions based on two games, but that's where I'm currently at.

RFA is hard to predict. Sometimes it inflates a guy’s value, sometimes it’s the other direction like what happened with Reeves. If Quickley gets a 4/160 offer, it could be because some other team is trying to F with us….but imo, it would more likely be the result of Quickley producing like he did last season as a starter.

Hopefully you could arrange this beforehand. Ideally this would have been done before the season to lock it in, but a 5/$125 deal for Quickley would actually be a steal imo. If you make it flat, that’s only 17% of the cap to begin with and based on projections that would drop to 14-15% by the end of it.

I think Murray has a larger reputation and therefore would automatically have a higher price. The certainty in his deal also counts for a lot. He will just cost a lot more than Quickley imo, and all things contract related equal I prefer Quickley as a player.

It’s a different economic era in terms of salary cap and player salary ranges. What IQ is apparently looking for won’t seem that crazy very soon

I know it’s not necessarily the same people, but we have people still thinking John’s contract is fine and also people queasy about paying Quickley $25. Get real!