What's new

THe Psyche Of The White American Male

VINYLONE

Bringin' the diversity!
Contributor
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/...le-aged-white-americans-study-finds.html?_r=0

Something startling is happening to middle-aged white Americans. Unlike every other age group, unlike every other racial and ethnic group, unlike their counterparts in other rich countries, death rates in this group have been rising, not falling.

That finding was reported Monday by two Princeton economists, Angus Deaton, who last month won the 2015 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Science, and Anne Case. Analyzing health and mortality data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and from other sources, they concluded that rising annual death rates among this group are being driven not by the big killers like heart disease and diabetes but by an epidemic of suicides and afflictions stemming from substance abuse: alcoholic liver disease and overdoses of heroin and prescription opioids.

This topic is about white males. Nobody gives a ****

This topic is about white males. Nobody gives a ****

In related news, no one gives a ****.

^wtf are these?^

Answer: probably a couple of white males. Hmmmm.

This is definitely an interesting finding.

It is not clear why only middle-aged whites had such a rise in their mortality rates. Dr. Meara and Dr. Skinner, in their commentary, considered a variety of explanations — including a pronounced racial difference in the prescription of opioid drugs and their misuse, and a more pessimistic outlook among whites about their financial futures — but say they cannot fully account for the effect.

Dr. Case, investigating indicators of poor health, discovered that middle-aged people, unlike the young and unlike the elderly, were reporting more pain in recent years than in the past. A third in this group reported they had chronic joint pain over the years 2011 to 2013, and one in seven said they had sciatica. Those with the least education reported the most pain and the worst general health.

The least educated also had the most financial distress, Dr. Meara and Dr. Skinner noted in their commentary. In the period examined by Dr. Deaton and Dr. Case, the inflation-adjusted income for households headed by a high school graduate fell by 19 percent.

Dr. Case found that the number of whites with mental illnesses and the number reporting they had difficulty socializing increased in tandem. Along with that, increasing numbers of middle-aged whites said they were unable to work. She also saw matching increases in the numbers reporting pain and the numbers reporting difficulty socializing, difficulty shopping, difficulty walking for two blocks.

Only thing going on with my psych is that it's annoyed I still have over 11 hours till tip off.

I blame gluten.

probably a joke, but I do wonder about lower-intestinal health specifically, and gluten intolerance is statistically higher in that group. Lower-intestinal health issues are linked to a lot of the pain-related and psychological issues that are on the rise.

Still, this is obviously way down the hierarchy of causes. But I do think it actually belongs on the list.

^wtf are these?^

Answer: probably a couple of white males...

and middle-aged at that!

in related news...

There have been several incidents in our community of men who fit this profile and committed suicide, one was the brother of a friend of mine. None were men with any evidence of mental health issues, though two were situations where there was some known financial difficulty.

And news was just released (with more details coming in a press conference later this morning) of a high-profile shooting several months ago of a suburban police officer who radioed in that he was in pursuit (on foot through the woods) of three suspects and requesting back-up, then the officer was found shot to death and there was a huge man-hunt for the three suspects that were assumed to have killed him - - but were never found - - and it's just been ruled that it was suicide.

At the time of his death, the coroner stated that the possibility of suicide could not be ruled out, and there was a huge brouhaha because it was "impossible" that he might have committed suicide...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/news/ct-lns-fox-lake-joe-gliniewicz-st-1104-20151103-story.html

Also, just curious as to the parameters they're using for "middle age"

Does the article indicate a specific age range?

edit: the article indicates the research involved those aged 45 - 54
That's a pretty narrow window.

Also, the article seems to imply that the effect was only found in those with a high school education or less.
...They concluded that taken together, suicides, drugs and alcohol explained the overall increase in deaths. The effect was largely confined to people with a high school education or less. In that group, death rates rose by 22 percent while they actually fell for those with a college education....

probably a joke, but I do wonder about lower-intestinal health specifically, and gluten intolerance is statistically higher in that group. Lower-intestinal health issues are linked to a lot of the pain-related and psychological issues that are on the rise.

Still, this is obviously way down the hierarchy of causes. But I do think it actually belongs on the list.

Kind of a joke..

I have had a small list of health problems (asthma, terrible sinuses, chronic stomach ailments, etc).
Through self-diagnosis, I blamed gluten. I rolled up my shirt sleeves and decided to try a hard core gluten-free diet. (Quietly)

It's only been 9 days.

No asthma.
No sinus issues.
Stomach problems are gone, completely.
Lost 10lbs.

Kind of a joke..

I have had a small list of health problems (asthma, terrible sinuses, chronic stomach ailments, etc).
Through self-diagnosis, I blamed gluten. I rolled up my shirt sleeves and decided to try a hard core gluten-free diet. (Quietly)

It's only been 9 days.

No asthma.
No sinus issues.
Lost 10lbs.

I had terrible sinus and stomach problems and trouble gaining weight. Cut out gluten and fixed all of them.

Kind of a joke..

It's only been 9 days.

No asthma.
No sinus issues.
Lost 10lbs.

Congrats! I heard skirts are on sale at Neiman Marcus.

Reactions: GVC
certain health problems are cumulative you asshat. Or have you eaten so many bootstraps that your immune to this idea?

Your mom doesn't wear bootstraps. Just thigh-highs.

She's doing great by the way.

I'm almost 40 and I have all sorts of joint aches and pains, along with stomach pains. Only gotten worse since I had to start taking stupid cholesterol pills (bad lvls too high) no what I did? Nothing, I'm pretty lazy, probably why I have high cholesterol in the first place.

Interesting study though.

I am also surprised no one replied with a jokingly distasteful #whitelivesmatter.

What kind of white American man is neither a villain or a disappointment? What should a white American man strive to become? What excuses are valid? What accomplishments are earned? It does seem that goals for American white men have become a catch 22. His identity rarely positive.

I think a lack of an achievable positive identity probably has more to do with it than gluten.