What's new

THe Psyche Of The White American Male

Kind of a joke..

I have had a small list of health problems (asthma, terrible sinuses, chronic stomach ailments, etc).
Through self-diagnosis, I blamed gluten. I rolled up my shirt sleeves and decided to try a hard core gluten-free diet. (Quietly)

It's only been 9 days.

No asthma.
No sinus issues.
Stomach problems are gone, completely.
Lost 10lbs.

So pretty much you went paleo. Good for you.

What kind of white American man is neither a villain or a disappointment? What should a white American man strive to become? What excuses are valid? What accomplishments are earned? It does seem that goals for American white men have become a catch 22. His identity rarely positive.

I think a lack of an achievable positive identity probably has more to do with it than gluten.

good questions.

AND, nobody has claimed gluten was anything but an extremely small cause of anything.

I've been thinking about doing a gluten free diet for a while. I'm pretty certain that gluten and sugar are contributing to a terrible stomach and keeping me fat. I tried a paleo diet a few years ago, and felt awesome, but I gained like 10 pounds in a month. I was eating a ton though because I was also working out a bunch. Gonna try again and eat less this time.

what is it with gluten (and other allergies) these days - - folks have been eating gluten (and peanuts, for example) for centuries - - why are people suddenly having all these problems because of it?

is there something different about "modern" gluten - - or the modern diet in general (yes, most likely...)
but in that case, wouldn't there be similar results in other developed countries? Or is American gluten different somehow?

what is it with gluten (and other allergies) these days - - folks have been eating gluten (and peanuts, for example) for centuries - - why are people suddenly having all these problems because of it?

is there something different about "modern" gluten - - or the modern diet in general (yes, most likely...)
but in that case, wouldn't there be similar results in other developed countries? Or is American gluten different somehow?

I should be better able to answer these questions, but I got lazy at a certain point. I know the internet can answer them if you're willing to dig for 30 minutes or so.

Farming practices are different and apparently there is more gluten and more gluten contamination in the US than in other parts of the world.

I'll look into it more. I did some research about 6 years ago, quickly decided it was worth a try, had great results, and haven't looked back. It's time.

I should be better able to answer these questions, but I got lazy at a certain point. I know the internet can answer them if you're willing to dig for 30 minutes or so.

Farming practices are different and apparently there is more gluten and more gluten contamination in the US than in other parts of the world.

I'll look into it more. I did some research about 6 years ago, quickly decided it was worth a try, had great results, and haven't looked back. It's time.

my theory - after zero seconds of internet research

it has something to do with what's in our fertilizer...
perhaps it all boils down to all the antibiotics that are fed to the animals
wonder if there is anything similar in China - since much of our fertilizer is exported there

but a few seconds of search found this interesting New Yorker article on gluten and gluten insensitivity (from about a year ago)
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/03/grain

wonder if there is anything similar in China - since much of our fertilizer is exported there

I remember some possible links to weed control sprays, which are stored more in glutenous plants. ???. Vague memory. I get the sense that nobody around here is going to help us out.

BTW, I thought for sure that Stoked was going to be all over this thread like white on rice.

It's a fantastic question Moe-- while I do think NAOS is right in mentioning the progressive cultivation of higher-gluten containing grains, I think there's more to it. The sort answer is this-- cumulatively deleterious, unhealthy living circumstances.

Our body is a system. When one aspect of its health is disrupted, every other body system feels the impact. We are ****ing magnificent at compensating & moving onwards, but the human body has its limits.

I think the answer is this-- there is nothing intrinsically wrong with gluten itself. That's why people have lived off it for centuries-- and why some still do.

The problem is our deteriorating immune systems in the developed world. There's lexicons of data re: how those living in urbanized environments filled with various toxicants have inferior immune systems. The biggest symptom of this is the rise of autoimmune disorders, of which celiac, arthritis, asthma, colitis, and Crohns are a part of (notice how every single one of these illnesses is on the rise-- and it isn't because of more sensitive diagnosis).

Our immune systems are getting worse thanks to toxicant-prevalent living circumstances, and it makes people's immune systems hypersensitive and reactive. Things like gluten and pollen now cause allergies.

And yet you've managed to live to 45+ years old without all this.

Drama Queen.

I'm not 45 years old yet (couple more years).
Actually, there is a very sound scientific reason one may develop allergic reactions to gluten over time.

And I will always outmatch and outclass your *** until the day I'm dead.

Howard will point and laugh, and not understand-- but he's lucky that he grew up rurally. If he lived in a clean environment, and didn't have prominent, significant pesticide exposure growing up Im willing to bet that he has no allergies or chronic health problems (different case if he did have that exposure).

The proof is already out there. People have been sequencing the microbiomes of Amish communities in comparison to those living in urban areas. Their kids, playing with dirt and being in the outdoors a ton has resulted in WAY lower susceptibilities in autoimmune conditions across the board.

I went to Kosovo in summer 2014, and asked around to see if anyone knew anybody with gluten sensitivities. Maybe like 80-100 people. Not a single person even knew what gluten was-- and quipped "Dalamon-- people would die here if they couldn't digest wheat". It can't be genetics-- my little brother is 100% Albanian and has gluten sensitivities. No parent on either side has relatives with it.

Another reason why this whole environment debate ****ing matters.

but a few seconds of search found this interesting New Yorker article on gluten and gluten insensitivity (from about a year ago)
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/03/grain

It's a hybrid wheat. About 100 years ago, iirc, a super wheat was created and that's when the problems started.

Also, everything is just more discussed and communicated today than centuries or even decades ago. Durr

It depends how sensitive you are Peeks, but if you're craving wheat again at any point-- some families have no problems digesting spelt (or ferro as its sometimes called), and Kamut. Both have gluten, but less than traditional wheat crops.

You'll notice when making bread, and pastries with it. It sucks using their flour. Haha.

Also, sometimes yeast causes problems too (particularly with sinuses). If it comes back, think of that as well.

(Also, both aforementioned grains are as old as human civilization itself. Kamut has a cool story)

Howard will point and laugh, and not understand-- but he's lucky that he grew up rurally. If he lived in a clean environment, and didn't have prominent, significant pesticide exposure growing up Im willing to bet that he has no allergies or chronic health problems (different case if he did have that exposure).

The proof is already out there. People have been sequencing the microbiomes of Amish communities in comparison to those living in urban areas. Their kids, playing with dirt and being in the outdoors a ton has resulted in WAY lower susceptibilities in autoimmune conditions across the board.

I went to Kosovo in summer 2014, and asked around to see if anyone knew anybody with gluten sensitivities. Maybe like 80-100 people. Not a single person even knew what gluten was-- and quipped "Dalamon-- people would die here if they couldn't digest wheat". It can't be genetics-- my little brother is 100% Albanian and has gluten sensitivities. No parent on either side has relatives with it.

Another reason why this whole environment debate ****ing matters.

Dig a little deeper. The gluten we are eating is different than the gluten they are eating. Betcha.

Dig a little deeper. The gluten we are eating is different than the gluten they are eating. Betcha.

Even so-- many will use and grow it, and they're still fine. Conversely, some will be triggered even with the 4000 year old Kamut.

It's a toxicant thing if I had to bet. Didn't you see that article talking about how DuPont's one chemical could be found in the water system of like every region across the United States? And that's for one chemical in the 70s.