What's new

The Rest of the Season Plan - Kind Of

My fear is the team uses their cap space on another Conley or Favors type player (older and paid too much and won't move the needle enough) and potentially give up too much to get them (or get rid of them). The 1st rd. pick we owe OKC was to take Favors off Utah's hands. Poor management. They got into that position in the first place, and Jazz fans basically knew it when we got him back.

The pick needs to convey in 24. 25 is strong and 26 we have swaps.
Problem is we really don’t have the cap space necessary to do much outside of one starter level player and re-negotiate and extend Lauri (which is the highest priority by far). We already punted on major useable cap space in the Collins deal. If we move him or JC we can do a bit more damage.

I’m not worried about the pick conveying or not. I think I’d prefer a top ten pick now. If we are bottom 8 in a string draft next year and lose the ability to swap in 2026 it’s not the end of the world. This summer through next trade deadline is kind of the time period where it’s too hard to keep kicking the can down the road. May have to move Lauri at that point.

Problem is we really don’t have the cap space necessary to do much outside of one starter level player and re-negotiate and extend Lauri (which is the highest priority by far). We already punted on major useable cap space in the Collins deal. If we move him or JC we can do a bit more damage.

I’m not worried about the pick conveying or not. I think I’d prefer a top ten pick now. If we are bottom 8 in a string draft next year and lose the ability to swap in 2026 it’s not the end of the world. This summer through next trade deadline is kind of the time period where it’s too hard to keep kicking the can down the road. May have to move Lauri at that point.
Yeah, that is my biggest issue with Collins, he is paid too much. If Lauri gets All-NBA I think he can get 30% of the cap which may be $42MMish. That would leave a lot less to play with. He likely won't, so he'll be capped at 25% or $35mm +/-.

The plan isnt to kick the can down the road. Last summers activity (including Collins trade) and the discussions we were in indicate that we are looking to build up.

But you just cannot buy a house that isnt for sale. I believe that if we thought Jrue would extend with us he would be a jazzman now.

This DL they decided to reload for next offseason and extracted value from a few expiring contracts. Would have had hard time to operate if you also need to re-sign KO/Simone/Dunn and extend Lauri.

As several others have mentioned in other threads, it is not necessary to max out Lauri next year. The minimum required would be to bump his salary so that a 140% extension on top of that will give him max salary in 2025/2026. If they go this route, we will have quite a bit of cap space this off season.

They could also max out Lauri next year if Lauri agrees to take less in the four following seasons. That would mean that cap space this off season is smaller, but that his percentage of the salary cap will be smaller over the next years.

Lauri has publicly stated he deserves the max. What it means practice, no-one knows.
Care to find a link? I know he deserves, and he knows he deserves, but sounds uncharacteristic that he states it out loud. Usually he is even too modest and doesn't say much about anything unrelated to games

As several others have mentioned in other threads, it is not necessary to max out Lauri next year. The minimum required would be to bump his salary so that a 140% extension on top of that will give him max salary in 2025/2026. If they go this route, we will have quite a bit of cap space this off season.

They could also max out Lauri next year if Lauri agrees to take less in the four following seasons. That would mean that cap space this off season is smaller, but that his percentage of the salary cap will be smaller over the next years.
We will have 18-20m in space after the renegotiate and extend. Move JC or Collins and you’ll have some room. Risk it and let him become a FA and you risk losing your best player.

It’s just not enough to do a lot of damage. We haven’t been amazing at managing and maximizing the cap. If we had max space and could extend Lauri that’d be great. The Collins “free” side quest will be felt this offseason.

We will have 18-20m in space after the renegotiate and extend. Move JC or Collins and you’ll have some room. Risk it and let him become a FA and you risk losing your best player.

It’s just not enough to do a lot of damage. We haven’t been amazing at managing and maximizing the cap. If we had max space and could extend Lauri that’d be great. The Collins “free” side quest will be felt this offseason.
I actually think if we are able to move Clarkson for less salary or no salary at all we could sign a max deal and still R&E Lauri.

We would need to add 17.2M to Lauri’s salary for next season to get him to the 35.2M needed for a 25% max contract with 8% raises each year.

If we are able to trade Clarkson for little to no salary we would have enough cap space to sign someone to a max contract and still R&E Lauri.

We would need to add 17.2M to Lauri’s salary for next season to get him to the 35.2M needed for a 25% max contract with 8% raises each year.

If we are able to trade Clarkson for little to no salary we would have enough cap space to sign someone to a max contract and still R&E Lauri.
Does that factor in Dunn?

The plan isnt to kick the can down the road. Last summers activity (including Collins trade) and the discussions we were in indicate that we are looking to build up.

But you just cannot buy a house that isnt for sale. I believe that if we thought Jrue would extend with us he would be a jazzman now.

This DL they decided to reload for next offseason and extracted value from a few expiring contracts. Would have had hard time to operate if you also need to re-sign KO/Simone/Dunn and extend Lauri.
We are waiting on the Trae Young deal.

Helping them save money on Collins was just the down payment.

His cap hold of 2M. Not sure what he will command in FA but if it’s anywhere near the MLE I would pass.
Hmm.. if you are including his cap hold, are you also including THTs?

Im just wondering as sportstrac has us at 54M practical space and our active cap for 9 players signed through next season is 94M.

I have cap holds for Dunn… 28th pick and the 9th pick factored in. We will have to talk through the different scenarios on the pod. It’s all just so much better if we didn’t have Collins on the books and it’s so much harder to dump salary before/during looking for free agents. Clarkson could be used as something we send back to a team in a sign and trade type deal.

Collins is going to be a somewhat pricey “free” player once we figure in the opportunity costs.

Im just wondering as sportstrac has us at 54M practical space and our active cap for 9 players signed through next season is 94M.
Cap is 141. You figure capholds for Dunn and the picks or just empty roster spots… once you allocate the 17m+ for Lauri you are left with something in the neighborhood of 20M. No caphold for the 9/10th pick and you may be in the 25M range.

The Collins trade was just an unforced error and we were uncharacteristically impatient. All the upside was on the buy side so if you don’t get your price you walk away.

You take away Yurtseven’s non-guaranteed deal and replace that with Dunn’s cap hold. Add in cap hold for a top-10 pick plus the 26-28 pick plus an incomplete roster cap hold that puts us closer to 100M with about 41M of functional cap space. Lauri at max would take 17.2M of that for a R&E. Leaving us with essentially 24M or so. If we are able to get off of Clarkson’s 14M we can have max cap space.

Collins deal could come in handy for a star trade because we won’t have a ton of tradable salaries for a star the way we’re headed.

Lauri will have 7 years of experience in the NBA and is eligble for 30% of the cap next year. If the cap lands at $141 million as currently projected by the NBA, Lauri can be bumped to $42,3 million next year.

The most important thing about this new deal, is getting the salary for next season high enough so that 140% of his salary for next season will reach 30% of the cap in 2025-2026. If the cap rises with the maximum 10% allowed in 2025-2026, 30% will be 46,53%. Lauri will have to make $33,24 million next year to make this possible.

The least we will have to bump his salary for next year is $15 million. We then ensure that he gets to his maximum in 2025-26 and he gets an additional $15 million extra next year that he can`t get through any other method than renegotiation and extension. The Jazz and Lauri can agree to bump his salary all the way to the maximum of $42,3 million next year. If they do this, it is very likely that Lauri will agree to smaller raises over the next four years. His salary for the coming years will therefore be quite a bit less than 30%, giving us more flexibility in the future in echange for less flexibility this off season.