What's new

The Ringer VIDEO - teh Jazzz r gud

It's a flattering video, but I kind of dislike it. I felt it was inaccurate in a few places, and very surfacey analysis overall.

For example, he mentions a few times our propensity for forcing turnovers, but we are literally dead last in the NBA at that. He also says he's concerned how we'll fare if our 3 pt shot isn't falling, but you literally only need to look at our last two games alone to see us survive an entire game of poor 3 pt shooting (Pacers) and an entire half of it (Celtics).

I don't know, maybe it's unfair to expect the media to suddenly be Jazz experts.

So one of his concerns is exactly what many of us have been harping on: lack of a wing defender for the bigger wings in the league. This will come back to bite us, and I think as a result we will end up in pure shoot-outs against teams with these players, especially in the playoffs. Hopefully our team D can be dialed in very tightly by then so we can defend this by committee but he raises a good point there for sure.

Excellent content. I co-sign this ****. —With more love for Bojan, though, who is the kind of mid-range bucket-getter than he seems to wonder if we’ll need during stretches where the deep shots aren’t falling.
I think the Indiana game showed how we respond when the long ball isn't falling. We attacked, got good inside looks, and kept shooting. The ship kind of corrected itself. But he is right about our free throw rate, it is abysmal. We need to have that kind of plan as a back up while we get the 3 ball cooking again.

So one of his concerns is exactly what many of us have been harping on: lack of a wing defender for the bigger wings in the league. This will come back to bite us, and I think as a result we will end up in pure shoot-outs against teams with these players, especially in the playoffs. Hopefully our team D can be dialed in very tightly by then so we can defend this by committee but he raises a good point there for sure.

I think our team d and depth of legit scorers could make up for that. If Royce gets into foul trouble though, that could be problematic.

I think the Indiana game showed how we respond when the long ball isn't falling. We attacked, got good inside looks, and kept shooting. The ship kind of corrected itself. But he is right about our free throw rate, it is abysmal. We need to have that kind of plan as a back up while we get the 3 ball cooking again.
Interesting point, so I went and looked up some things
  • Jazz FT-rate and FT/game are right in the middle of league average (17th & 14th respectively)
  • Some of the Jazz's worst 3-point % games were also those with the most FT taken (so they do at least sometimes adjust, it seems)
  • 3 of the Jazz's top-5 FT-taking games were among the team's 5 losses (the other two losses were the very worst FT-taking game, as well as one somewhere in the middle as far as FTs taken) -- that surprised me a bit; FTs taken does not seem to be an indicator for success for the Jazz (small sample size issues of course)

Interesting point, so I went and looked up some things
  • Jazz FT-rate and FT/game are right in the middle of league average (17th & 14th respectively)
  • Some of the Jazz's worst 3-point % games were also those with the most FT taken (so they do at least sometimes adjust, it seems)
  • 3 of the Jazz's top-5 FT-taking games were among the team's 5 losses (the other two losses were the very worst FT-taking game, as well as one somewhere in the middle as far as FTs taken) -- that surprised me a bit; FTs taken does not seem to be an indicator for success for the Jazz (small sample size issues of course)
I’d speculate that increased free throws means we’re either moving away from our game that works (3s) or the 3 ball isn’t falling, pushing us into trying to get to the rim more and being less efficient.

I agree with almost all of what he said but sorry, we’re better than the ****ing Sixers. After Embiid, Simmons and Harris leave a lot to be desired. And they don’t have much depth.
To start, I did really enjoy the video myself.

I heard but didn't think about it until your comment made me think about it... to further add about PHI.

They have proved WAY less and have had more and bigger disappointments then the Jazz and they are getting a pass.

The WHY? Well I'd be happy if people would be straight up honest as to why. My guesses are in no particular order East coast bias, big market bias and the previous 2 feed into this one bigger name recognition/bigger stars and lastly I could even understand being told because PHI is in the East and it's an easier path to the Finals. Those are all fine and I get it just be honest with it up front, I'll admit I have a West coast bias cause we play those teams more so I see them and know them better.

To start, I did really enjoy the video myself.

I heard but didn't think about it until your comment made me think about it... to further add about PHI.

They have proved WAY less and have had more and bigger disappointments then the Jazz and they are getting a pass.

The WHY? Well I'd be happy if people would be straight up honest as to why. My guesses are in no particular order East coast bias, big market bias and the previous 2 feed into this one bigger name recognition/bigger stars and lastly I could even understand being told because PHI is in the East and it's an easier path to the Finals. Those are all fine and I get it just be honest with it up front, I'll admit I have a West coast bias cause we play those teams more so I see them and know them better.
And the Western Conference has been the (much) superior conference almost every year for the past 15 years or more.

Sixers are still a fatally-flawed build whose two major stars are children.

I’d speculate that increased free throws means we’re either moving away from our game that works (3s) or the 3 ball isn’t falling, pushing us into trying to get to the rim more and being less efficient.
I think that is valid. It is something we need to be able to do if we are not hitting the 3. We need to find other ways to win, like we did against Indy. That puts us next-level.

I think that is valid. It is something we need to be able to do if we are not hitting the 3. We need to find other ways to win, like we did against Indy. That puts us next-level.
I don’t know that those stats negate that, though. It’s just showing that when our three isn’t falling that we’re shooting more FTs, but that we’re not performing as well. I think any metric will show you preforming worse on plan B than metrics measuring you implementing plan A.

I don’t know that those stats negate that, though. It’s just showing that when our three isn’t falling that we’re shooting more FTs, but that we’re not performing as well. I think any metric will show you preforming worse on plan B than metrics measuring you implementing plan A.
I am not saying they negate it, really that I am not surprised by it because when our plan A isn't working we have to fall back on plan B, which generates those stats. But if we can figure out how to consistently pull out the tough games requiring plan B that pushes us to another level.

First of all **** Kevin O Conner. I actually like him but he was a dismissive ******* early on the Jazz. He is an enemy of the state. Preseason he had us ranked as a possible play in team. Last week when Chris Vernon lumped us in with the Lakers and Clippers Kevin said we weren't in that class and that honestly weren't even the same as the Nuggets. I mean we literally had one shot miss where we'd have beat them in the playoffs... the nuggets are now worse after their offseason... we are better after our offseason... but sure we arent in the same class as the team we came up one centimeter short against in the playoffs.

After calling us a play in team he jumps in for some clicks by saying "contenders?" GTFOH

God help the media if we go 8-0 or 7-1 during this stretch. They will have to come up with new reasons why the Jazz are not contenders.

We're putting them in a real uncomfortable position. With us atop the league, they actually have to start watch us play.

I think our team d and depth of legit scorers could make up for that. If Royce gets into foul trouble though, that could be problematic.

It can be, but i think that foul trouble Royce is the exactly situation to give Oni more reps in no injury situations in our rotation.