What's new

The Udoka pick is the worst in team history

Bawse Dawg

Completely inexcusable in every way.

Giving away all the assets for Conley when CP3 was basically free is another killer.

If you had told me during Mitchell's rookie year, that he would become a legitimate top 10 player in the league, but I'd still be completely checked out on a Jazz season....

I won't say they are a terrible front office on a league wide level. But it cannot be disputed that at the critical moment(s) they absolutely choked. This era is going to fizzle out soon, and there will be some turning point moments to look back at. And for each one of them, I'm not sure our FO could have done a worse job. Any rando on this board given power in those moments, and the team is in much better shape right now.

Shame.

Giving away all the assets for Conley when CP3 was basically free is another killer.

If you had told me during Mitchell's rookie year, that he would become a legitimate top 10 player in the league, but I'd still be completely checked out on a Jazz season....

I won't say they are a terrible front office on a league wide level. But it cannot be disputed that at the critical moment(s) they absolutely choked. This era is going to fizzle out soon, and there will be some turning point moments to look back at. And for each one of them, I'm not sure our FO could have done a worse job. Any rando on this board given power in those moments, and the team is in much better shape right now.

Shame.
Yep. Disgusting pick.

It started with the Conley trade, but these 4 decisions have absolutely tanked our legitimate chances to contend for a title built around Donovan and Rudy:

1. What all we gave up in the Conley trade

2. Drafting Doke over better options

3. Re-signing Favors to that stupid deal then having to use a first to dump him

4. Not drafting Herb Jones

If we could have avoided just half of those decisions above, we would be in a much better situation. Instead, we made all 4 asinine moves and here we are on the brink of a blow up.

We've made worse picks but when you combine the fact that we drafted Doke, while giving up draft assets to offload other centers, and while clearly planning on handing Favs a bloated deal... then it becomes truly grotesque.

If they had drafted Udoka and then used MLE on something else then whatevs... if they had taken Bane and done the Favs signing... then we in good shape. If they had just drafted Doke, kept our ****** centers, and not used the MLE so that they didn't overcomplicate the tax stuff... then you save yourself another first rounder and a handful of seconds.

We've made worse picks but when you combine the fact that we drafted Doke, while giving up draft assets to offload other centers, and while clearly planning on handing Favs a bloated deal... then it becomes truly grotesque.

If they had drafted Udoka and then used MLE on something else then whatevs... if they had taken Bane and done the Favs signing... then we in good shape. If they had just drafted Doke, kept our ****** centers, and not used the MLE so that they didn't overcomplicate the tax stuff... then you save yourself another first rounder and a handful of seconds.
Good points. Drafting Doke knowing that we wanted Favors back does make the Doke pick that much worse.

Good points. Drafting Doke knowing that we wanted Favors back does make the Doke pick that much worse.
All while using second rounders to offload like 6-7M in centers. Even if we did all the same **** but just told Favs he doesn't get full MLE and gets like 7M a year... we avoid the tax last year.

Shame.
Taking butler over herb Jones is worse than udoka over bane

Taking butler over herb Jones is worse than udoka over bane
Strong disagree. Taking a guard coming off an amazing season for the best team in the country... when he won MOP was perfectly reasonable. He's also shown more NBA potential than Udoka.

Taking a traditional center over Bane and others was really bad. Herb has been a revelation but there are long toolsy guys like him every year... some hit and some do not.

Butler might be alright though. Udoka is not an NBA player. And by that point the damage was done. The window was shut on this team competing.
If Jared is healthy he is an NBA player for sure. He's had flashes this year already even though he's had sporadic playing time.

Lots of teams miss on a guy like Bane that we liked, but what’s inexcusable is how this team continually drafts bigs with no shooting range. Dok, Bradley, Lyles, etc. Playoffs will remind us of this again.

We can’t keep building an identity around one guy in the middle that when he’s out, we’re screwed.

Strong disagree. Taking a guard coming off an amazing season for the best team in the country... when he won MOP was perfectly reasonable. He's also shown more NBA potential than Udoka.

Taking a traditional center over Bane and others was really bad. Herb has been a revelation but there are long toolsy guys like him every year... some hit and some do not.
I like Bane, but Herb Jones is a perfect compliment to any team. He defends, can run a little offense, defends as well as anybody in the league and can play SF, PF or C. He would have fit our needs very, very well.

What makes it even worse is that right after the draft we used our $9.5 million MLE on Derrick Favors. So, we wasted our first-round pick and all our cap space on backup centers, when backup center is the cheapest and easiest position to fill. You can get a very good backup center for the minimum, just look at Whiteside.

Jazz dealing for Mike Conley is exactly like when Hawks traded for Mike Bibby. Expect Hawks knew exactly what they were getting. Just lower your expectations.

Last edited:
Doke is probably the second worst pick. A hair better than drafting a shot blocking big man from Europe in 2007 when Marc Gasol was still available.

Lakers wouldn't be able to get Pau if they didn't get to draft Marc. Then the Kobe-Odom-Pau trio would never have been formed to take away Sloan's last chance to win the Jazz a championship.

Last edited:
Without any context Dante Exum over Marcus Smart was pretty bad. With all the context that has already been discussed here, this was worse.