What's new

The unrepentant Rudy Gobert support thread

LoPo in 3. 2. 1.... waaaaaa!!! Waaaaaaaaaa!!!
Lol. Okay.

Houston destroyed us. This is a great example of cherry picking stats to create a narrative. People can show a few possessions where he excelled at what he does. But handpicking some stats to support Rudy's dominance in the playoffs is kind of weak.

Harden shot 38% at the rim? So? How did he shoot from range or distance? Harden isn't dangerous at the rim. Saying Gobert did a good job of defending Harden at the rim is like saying PJ Tucker did a good job defending Gobert outside the paint. We don't win by Gobert scoring outside the paint just like Houston doesn't win with Harden scoring at the rim.

Would we be better with Gobert, Donovan and great pieces around them? Well of course. I simply do not believe that our entire team falls apart if we traded him this offseason for some talent in return (we only trade him if he might leave or if he's gonna demand supermax).

I'm not crying. I'm just stating facts. How many points a game did Houston score against us in that series?

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Lol. Okay.

Houston destroyed us. This is a great example of cherry picking stats to create a narrative. People can show a few possessions where he excelled at what he does. But handpicking some stats to support Rudy's dominance in the playoffs is kind of weak.

Harden shot 38% at the rim? So? How did he shoot from range or distance? Harden isn't dangerous at the rim. Saying Gobert did a good job of defending Harden at the rim is like saying PJ Tucker did a good job defending Gobert outside the paint. We don't win by Gobert scoring outside the paint just like Houston doesn't win with Harden scoring at the rim.

Would we be better with Gobert, Donovan and great pieces around them? Well of course. I simply do not believe that our entire team falls apart if we traded him this offseason for some talent in return (we only trade him if he might leave or if he's gonna demand supermax).

I'm not crying. I'm just stating facts. How many points a game did Houston score against us in that series?

The issue is becoming it feels like we’re moving closer to Donovan pulling exactly what I thought he might. He may not, but his vibe is not great right now IMO. Somewhat understandably, but also a bit much too.

if we cut ties with donovan and keep rudy, he'll spend an entire career playing for utah if asked. if we cut ties with rudy and keep donovan, he will finish at most *one* more contract with Utah before he leaves.

a lot of me is actually upset with the front office- stop being 'yes-men' and get on Donovan's ***. if he pulls a D-Will and runs away, then who gives a damn. they're too star-struck with their most marketable athlete since Karl Malone, and they're about to lose both Donovan and Rudy because of it.
You don't know that.

If more dumb fans turn their backs on Donovan due to their blinding loyalty to Rudy, Don might eventually want to leave. I haven't seen any hard evidence that Don is trying to leave soon or in 5 years. All I see is a young player who got upset at a teammate who acted like a moron. He has that right. Honestly, he could been so much more of a diva about it if he wanted to.

Look at all the NBA, MLB, pro athletes not risking playing in a Covid environment. Players are walking away from millions. They don't want to risk it on behalf of their families and loved ones. Yet some of you know it alls are bashing this young player Don for being upset at a person who was 100% reckless in his actions in public and probably did much worse behind closed doors.

Some of you guys need to grow up. Quit bashing Donovan for having a very rational reaction to a bad situation.

Lol. Okay.

Harden averaged 8 points below his season scoring average in the series. We were relatively effective defending him (thanks to Rudy that allowed that type of defense). Our offense though...

Harden averaged 8 points below his season scoring average in the series. We were relatively effective defending him (thanks to Rudy that allowed that type of defense). Our offense though...
Great example of stat picking. We did everything in our power to stop their main guy which allowed their role players to torch us. How many assists did he have? How many hockey assists did he have drawing the attention then making the pass before the assist?

Houston's numbers were going to go down regardless once the playoffs started. There are less possessions in the playoffs. Everything slows down. Giving Rudy credit for that is pretty silly.

Rudy is a fantastic player, but he doesn't dominate in the playoffs. Or he hasn't yet.

Houston's numbers were going to go down regardless once the playoffs started. There are less possessions in the playoffs. Everything slows down. Giving Rudy credit for that is pretty silly.
Is that why Harden went on to average 35 ppg in the series vs. GSW?

Great example of stat picking. We did everything in our power to stop their main guy which allowed their role players to torch us. How many assists did he have? How many hockey assists did he have drawing the attention then making the pass before the assist?

Rudy is a fantastic player, but he doesn't dominate in the playoffs. Or he hasn't yet.

My friend Lopo, ¿how is that stat picking? Those are the numbers, plain and simple. I'm not ignoring the first 2 games or choosing the games that support my argument. Harden scored way less, and at a much lower percentage in the series against us. His teammates were not torching us either. I'm not going to tell you how many hockey assists he had, it's your argument, please provide those numbers.

Giving Rudy credit is not silly. He allowed us to play a very unconventional type of defense that really worked after game 2. What Rudy gives you is a split second in which he defends both the threat (Harden) and the lob, which requires a secondary defender to rotate and put a body on the lob (Capella), while the defender trailing Harden (Rubio) recover to contest from behind. The timing was horrendous during the first two games and Rudy ended up in no man's land because the rotations to help him were pretty slow (he also had doubts as to when to challenge the threat and when to roll back). He was superb after that and the timing on defense (Rudy & teammates) was excellent. The defense was designed around Rudy and it kept us in the series. The offense ruined us. I don't understand why you don't see this.

My friend Lopo, ¿how is that stat picking? Those are the numbers, plain and simple. I'm not ignoring the first 2 games or choosing the games that support my argument. Harden scored way less, and at a much lower percentage in the series against us. His teammates were not torching us either. I'm not going to tell you how many hockey assists he had, it's your argument, please provide those numbers.

Giving Rudy credit is not silly. He allowed us to play a very unconventional type of defense that really worked after game 2. What Rudy gives you is a split second in which he defends both the threat (Harden) and the lob, which requires a secondary defender to rotate and put a body on the lob (Capella), while the defender trailing Harden (Rubio) recover to contest from behind. The timing was horrendous during the first two games and Rudy ended up in no man's land because the rotations to help him were pretty slow (he also had doubts as to when to challenge the threat and when to roll back). He was superb after that and the timing on defense (Rudy & teammates) was excellent. The defense was designed around Rudy and it kept us in the series. The offense ruined us. I don't understand why you don't see this.

Yep. Its obvious to anyone who watched that series that we lost because we couldnt make shots. Everybody was shooting bellw thier averages. It wasnt rudys fault we lost.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm not saying Rudy is a bad player. I like the guy. He is valuable. He is good. He's not a super star. He's not a top 10 player. He's not worth the super max.

Houston owned us in the first two games. We adjusted well for the next 3 games. Gobert played well. I just don't think he dominated. He did his job against a solid West team that had major question marks. They weren't contenders last year yet they preformed rather well against us.

In a perfect world, we support Gobert better. I just don't feel like our fanbase should be held hostage by the idea that everything falls apart without Gobert.

Lol. Okay.

37% from the field, 35% from distance with over 8% points worse trueshooting over his regular season average. In the warriors series, he basically hit his season numbers.

stat.png

You don't know that.

If more dumb fans turn their backs on Donovan due to their blinding loyalty to Rudy, Don might eventually want to leave. I haven't seen any hard evidence that Don is trying to leave soon or in 5 years. All I see is a young player who got upset at a teammate who acted like a moron. He has that right. Honestly, he could been so much more of a diva about it if he wanted to.

Look at all the NBA, MLB, pro athletes not risking playing in a Covid environment. Players are walking away from millions. They don't want to risk it on behalf of their families and loved ones. Yet some of you know it alls are bashing this young player Don for being upset at a person who was 100% reckless in his actions in public and probably did much worse behind closed doors.

Some of you guys need to grow up. Quit bashing Donovan for having a very rational reaction to a bad situation.

Or maybe Don just hasn’t handlers things well and doesn’t seem real warm right now. I’m blocked by Rudy on twitter lol, I’m anything but a Rudy homer. But Dons vibes aren’t great. He handled his interview well, but there’s plenty to wonder about with him right now.

Or maybe Don just hasn’t handlers things well and doesn’t seem real warm right now. I’m blocked by Rudy on twitter lol, I’m anything but a Rudy homer. But Dons vibes aren’t great. He handled his interview well, but there’s plenty to wonder about with him right now.
I could see that. Is there a back story?

I could see that. Is there a back story?
Eh, I just questioned him the last few weeks of the season of whether he really had a desire to win or just personal accolades. I didn’t tag him or anything, just used his full name, which he searched and blocked me lol. I didn’t even say anything that bad, just stated the obvious that he was not trying hard or playing to win and he was pouting. A few days later I realized I was blocked lol.

I'm not saying Rudy is a bad player. I like the guy. He is valuable. He is good. He's not a super star. He's not a top 10 player. He's not worth the super max.

Houston owned us in the first two games. We adjusted well for the next 3 games. Gobert played well. I just don't think he dominated. He did his job against a solid West team that had major question marks. They weren't contenders last year yet they preformed rather well against us.

In a perfect world, we support Gobert better. I just don't feel like our fanbase should be held hostage by the idea that everything falls apart without Gobert.

dude what are you smoking ?? Rudy was the single most important factor in slowing down Houston to the tune of about 10 points below their ave

I’d encourage everyone to listen to Tim McMahons section on the Lowe post podcast. He has done a few things with Rudy in the past so has some insight. Mentioned that Rudy has bent over backwards to mend the fences and DM kind of did the bare minimum on a joint zoom call... said it was definitely something Rudy noticed. I think Rudy will keep trying but hopefully Don can reciprocate.

I’d encourage everyone to listen to Tim McMahons section on the Lowe post podcast. He has done a few things with Rudy in the past so has some insight. Mentioned that Rudy has bent over backwards to mend the fences and DM kind of did the bare minimum on a joint zoom call... said it was definitely something Rudy noticed. I think Rudy will keep trying but hopefully Don can reciprocate.
If Rudy gave him Covid from doing something completely immature and irresponsible in the lockerroom, Donovan can feel and act any way he wants. Being quiet is a whole lot better than what most people would do. Many players would have boycotted the team and demanded a trade of either them or Rudy.

Once again, let's see how it plays out when they meet in person, have some practices, etc.

That's a huge ****ing if

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
I’m fairly certain that if there was some egregious behavior behind closed doors we would have heard about it by now... that story line has kinda fizzled out. I’m guessing it was the fact that Rudy had out of country visitors not just that he touched the mics. I hope those two just go out of their way to make it right.