What's new

The Wheel of Time (Amazon)

Fair enough, but many critics largely have the same opinion.

Also, a very close-minded response. Basically you are saying I can make any argument, but your mind is set. That attitude is responsible for many of this worlds problems, but you do you.
De gustibus non disputandum est!

De gustibus non disputandum est!
I've noted that this phrase is often used carelessly in defense of the indefensible by those who care only for the otherwise indefensibly bad, particularly one of my Catholic priests growing up comes to mind. The fool thought it was the end of an argument when all it did was show his ineptitude to acknowledge a fallacy.

It is not a truth by any means and should be disputed.

I've noted that this phrase is often used carelessly in defense of the indefensible by those who care only for the otherwise indefensibly bad, particularly one of my Catholic priests growing up comes to mind. The fool thought it was the end of an argument when all it did was show his ineptitude to acknowledge a fallacy.

It is not a truth by any means and should be disputed.
I don't really care either way, but you're trying to say he's wrong for his opinions about a piece of entertainment, and trying to link that to larger problems in the world. That seems overblown.

Fair enough, but many critics largely have the same opinion.

Also, a very close-minded response. Basically you are saying I can make any argument, but your mind is set. That attitude is responsible for many of this worlds problems, but you do you.
Not sure why you’re picking a fight here.
Are you trying to convince me that I shouldn’t like the series as much as I do, and if I don’t like it the same way as you I’m some sort of example of what is wrong with the world today, and that I’m “closed-minded”? With all due respect, up yours.
I was being cordial and courteous without guile or hostility, giving you the levity to have your own opinion and simply pointing out that I don’t agree. And that, despite the fact that I think you’re wrong - dead wrong. And if the “critics” agree with you, I think they’re wrong as well. But just because you are part of what you feel is a “majority” doesn’t mean you are correct when it comes to something as subjective as how much someone enjoys reading a book, for crying out loud.
Frankly, you are coming across as quite rude.
Next you’re going to try to convince me that the color blue is superior to any other color, no matter what I say.
Sheesh.

Not sure why you’re picking a fight here.
Are you trying to convince me that I shouldn’t like the series as much as I do, and if I don’t like it the same way as you I’m some sort of example of what is wrong with the world today, and that I’m “closed-minded”? With all due respect, up yours.
I was being cordial and courteous without guile or hostility, giving you the levity to have your own opinion and simply pointing out that I don’t agree. And that, despite the fact that I think you’re wrong - dead wrong. And if the “critics” agree with you, I think they’re wrong as well. But just because you are part of what you feel is a “majority” doesn’t mean you are correct when it comes to something as subjective as how much someone enjoys reading a book, for crying out loud.
Frankly, you are coming across as quite rude.
Next you’re going to try to convince me that the color blue is superior to any other color, no matter what I say.
Sheesh.
My problem has nothing to do with your opinion in a book. You can say they are the best books ever, and generally I agree we can disagree.

I made a generalized comment about the drop in quality of a series, and the ending of another to which you said we can agree to disagree. A general statement, which I don't disagree with.

I then clarify what myself and many others agree are the issues with Sanderson's books, which I state may not be an issue if he slows his pace and takes time to develop characters, etc. These were specific criticisms to his style, which I never addressed before other than a generalized drop off in quality.

You are free to your opinion, but I bring up a number of issues, and you react by dismissing my comments by saying:
"Like I said…
You can keep repeating your opinions all you want, but we will just have to agree to disagree."

It is the dismissiveness to very specific issues that you address with "like I said", which shows you completely dismiss the new points addressed without addressing any of them.

Yet I am bring rude, coming from the person telling me "up yours"... Got it.

And I double down that people that take dismissive views on any topic are responsible for many of the divisions in this country.

My problem has nothing to do with your opinion in a book. You can say they are the best books ever, and generally I agree we can disagree.

I made a generalized comment about the drop in quality of a series, and the ending of another to which you said we can agree to disagree. A general statement, which I don't disagree with.

I then clarify what myself and many others agree are the issues with Sanderson's books, which I state may not be an issue if he slows his pace and takes time to develop characters, etc. These were specific criticisms to his style, which I never addressed before other than a generalized drop off in quality.

You are free to your opinion, but I bring up a number of issues, and you react by dismissing my comments by saying:
"Like I said…
You can keep repeating your opinions all you want, but we will just have to agree to disagree."

It is the dismissiveness to very specific issues that you address with "like I said", which shows you completely dismiss the new points addressed without addressing any of them.

Yet I am bring rude, coming from the person telling me "up yours"... Got it.

And I double down that people that take dismissive views on any topic are responsible for many of the divisions in this country.
Whatever. (See what I did there?)

Three more casting announcements...

Ceara Coveney is Elayne Trakand (fitting, she looks a lot like what I had in my mind)
My guesses on the other 2?
Natasha O'Keeffe as Lanfear / Selene
Meera Syal as Verin Sedai

A very awesome article in GQ about the series… long, in depth, with lots of interviews and quotes, and a lot of context of why Amazon is doing this series - and how they want it to far outstrip the success of Game of Thrones.

Just found this also, Rafe Judkins (the show runner) doing his breakdown of the trailer. Will be pretty interesting if you’ve read at least the first couple of books.

Bump… two weeks…

Twitter has been going ape**** right now. Look at the hashtag #TheWheelOfTime or the account @TheWheelOfTime and be prepared to be overwhelmed.