What's new

This is the Year

NUMBERICA

2022 Award Winner
If this isn't the year to win a championship, then it is at least the year to prepare and seriously attempt it:

-Conley can opt-out. If the year goes as well as I think we'd all like to think it could, it may be wise for him to do that. Whether he re-signs or not doesn't change that this option introduces the possibility he leaves. Even if he stays, he's only getting older.
-Ingles is only getting older. Hopefully his rumored new role (off the bench) gives him some rest he absolutely needs to start getting. But he's only getting older, I feel like he could fall off a cliff at any point.
-If Royce has a great year, then that both makes the Jazz better this year by a significant degree and makes him a target to receive a huge offer since the league will be flush with cap and have a very, very poor FA class. They should extend him now (possibly on something like the Favors special in preparation for the 2021 FA class which is SERIOUS [and might deserve it's own thread soon]).
-If Jeff Green or Mudiay end up being important rotation pieces, they are on one-year deals
-The Warriors appear mortal for the first time in half a decade. Klay will miss most of the season and won't be in top-form when he returns. I think they'll be better next year than this year between Klay being in a better place physically and Russell likely being more acclimated to the team.
-There is no super team this year and with the ever-increasing power of players, we don't know when that might change.

I didn't know where else to tuck this. Assume I put a bunch of cool and/or funny pictures and jokes and stuff like that in here, like a rally churro but not that.

Last edited:
I’d offer Royce 4/30 and see what he and his agent say. Would probably take 35-40 to get it done.
I can see that. I've been thinking about $10 mil per year, but also been wondering about trying to give him a big, fat amount for 2020-21 in order to retain a team option and use as a down-payment for a much cheaper contract later.

If Conley had won a championship with Memphis, I'd be worried about him leaving.

His best chance is on this squad over the next two years. I don't think he's going to squander it over another payday when he has already enjoyed the hugest of paydays.

All that is left for him to accomplish at this point in his career is legacy. Rudy, Mitchell, and Bogey represent his last shot at cementing that. I don't see him leaving.

If this isn't the year to win a championship, then it is at least the year to prepare and seriously attempt it:

-Conley can opt-out. If the year goes as well as I think we'd all like to think it could, it may be wise for him to do that. Whether he re-signs or not doesn't change that this option introduces the possibility he leaves. Even if he stays, he's only getting older.
-Ingles is only getting older. Hopefully his rumored new role (off the bench) gives him some rest he absolutely needs to start getting. But he's only getting older, I feel like he could fall off a cliff at any point.
-If Royce has a great year, then that both makes the Jazz better this year by a significant degree and makes him a target to receive a huge offer since the league will be flush with cap and have a very, very poor FA class. They should extend him now (possibly on something like the Favors special in preparation for the 2021 FA class which is SERIOUS [and might deserve it's own thread soon]).
-If Jeff Green or Mudiay end up being important rotation pieces, they are on one-year deals
-The Warriors appear mortal for the first time in half a decade. Klay will miss most of the season and won't be in top-form when he returns. I think they'll be better next year than this year between Klay being in a better place physically and Russell likely being more acclimated to the team.
-There is no super team this year and with the ever-increasing power of players, we don't know when that might change.

I didn't know where else to tuck this. Assume I put a bunch of cool and/or funny pictures and jokes and stuff like that in here, like a rally churro but not that.
I'm at this guy's table, **** heads.

Watching Mitchell play PG in the USA scrimmage last night makes me think we could handle it if Conley opted out. We'd just want to add another impact player with the $30M salary slot. I think playing under Popovich is helping Mitchell's floor leadership. The FA class next year is pretty weak though.

Watching Mitchell play PG in the USA scrimmage last night makes me think we could handle it if Conley opted out. We'd just want to add another impact player with the $30M salary slot. I think playing under Popovich is helping Mitchell's floor leadership. The FA class next year is pretty weak though.
I don’t know what I’d do if he opted out and left next year. Probably “keep the powder dry” for the next offseason. Cuz then you’re looking at Giannis, Oladipo, Kawhi, George, and whoever else I didn’t get off the top of my head.

That being said, it might be smart for him to opt-out at the end of the year to get one more payday. I’d much rather he just opt in, though.

Every year is the year now.
Kinda. Any number of these variables can change in a way that makes the path harder. I think it gets harder after this year, particularly regarding Ingles (who has been CRITICAL to the Jazz’s success the last few seasons) and Bojan’s aging.

Mitchell, along with a dozen other players, is with Pops, for what? Two weeks? The guy isn’t schooling Don and Don alone every single day on how to be a pg.

Pops helps and I get your general sentiment and tend to agree with it but this also seems a bit silly.

I think Mitchell should eventually be the shortest ballhandler on the Jazz and think he should essentially be the backup PG until that time.

This is Utah's first best chance.

If they can secure Rudy and Donovan then others will come after Conley and Bojan age out.

Last edited:

If they can secure Rudy and Donovan than others will come after Conley and Bojan age out.
This has been my argument. Building a good team is like inertia. Once you cross a certain threshold, it’s easier to perpetuate, so you don’t have to worry as much about aging as long as a solid contingent of your core is intact.

If they can secure Rudy and Donovan then others will come after Conley and Bojan age out.

Not at that quality or even close to it. Once we spend 70M on the former two
And have money spent on others (Royce), we won’t have the luxury of getting two such high quality players imo.

We have a brief two year window now where it feels super wide open.

Then we go into ‘Gobert and Mitchell huge contract’ mode for the next half decade or so. Those should be consistent fun years at the least. With our ceiling being determined by what kind of player Mitchell becomes, Gobert’s contract number, longevity, (continued growth?). And how DL and Zanick build this roster with much less flexibility.

Not at that quality or even close to it. Once we spend 70M on the former two
And have money spent on others (Royce), we won’t have the luxury of getting two such high quality players imo.
This is a big reason 2021 is so important. This introduces some real risk, but as of right now, the Jazz could forego extending Gobert and Mitchell and come into that offseason with close to $100 million in cap space. That amount obviously gives them the ability to extend Gobert (since his bird rights will cost more than his extension), retain Royce, or any number of things, but Mitchell would be restricted and his cap number low for the last time. The Spurs were able to open up a ton of cap for Aldridge by Kawhi doing this (obviously this ended up not working out but not because of the maneuver itself). In any of these scenarios, Bojan is still under contract for two more seasons, Mitchell is an RFA, and the Jazz can offer Gobert more money than any other team.

Tangent: I think if the Jazz have some great years and have the opportunity to spend the capspace on another serious player, I think Gobert would give up a big chunk of his super-max. I wouldn’t bet on it, but I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility. I also think much more strongly that Ingles on his next deal could be very cheap.

Last edited:
We have a brief two year window now where it feels super wide open.

Then we go into ‘Gobert and Mitchell huge contract’ mode for the next half decade or so. Those should be consistent fun years at the least. With our ceiling being determined by what kind of player Mitchell becomes, Gobert’s contract number, longevity, (continued growth?). And how DL and Zanick build this roster with much less flexibility.
They’ll snag an all-star on the market right before all that money kicks in; the cap goes up; and right after Exum, Ingles, and Davis come off the books. BELIEVE.

Or speaking to the point of this thread: maybe this is the best shot we get for a decade or two.

To your last point in making moves lacking flexibility: all the Jazz have done to build the infrastructure and reputation as a team that finds diamonds in the rough will come in especially handy then.

Last edited:
The time is definitely now. 3 of our top 5 guy's are over 30, including Conley and Ingles who will both be 32 by the time the season starts. Rudy's entering his prime and all signs point to Donovan having the best year of his career. Let's ****ing do this!