What's new

This is the Year

This has been my argument. Building a good team is like inertia. Once you cross a certain threshold, it’s easier to perpetuate, so you don’t have to worry as much about aging as long as a solid contingent of your core is intact.
This was pretty much the Spurs model during the oughts. You have Duncan, Ginobli and Parker. The rest of the pieces changed frequently yet they still maintained a high level and won several championships. Lock up Mitchell, Gobert and ??? The rest will come to win.

This was pretty much the Spurs model during the oughts. You have Duncan, Ginobli and Parker. The rest of the pieces changed frequently yet they still maintained a high level and won several championships. Lock up Mitchell, Gobert and ??? The rest will come to win.
If Bojan is legit, it is worth noting that he is under contract longer than anyone and will soon take up 15% of the cap or less.

This is a big reason 2021 is so important. This introduces some real risk, but as of right now, the Jazz could forego extending Gobert and Mitchell and come into that offseason with close to $100 million in cap space. That amount obviously gives them the ability to extend Gobert (since his bird rights will cost more than his extension), retain Royce, or any number of things, but Mitchell would be restricted and his cap number low for the last time. The Spurs were able to open up a ton of cap for Aldridge by Kawhi doing this (obviously this ended up not working out but not because of the maneuver itself). In any of these scenarios, Bojan is still under contract for two more seasons, Mitchell is an RFA, and the Jazz can offer Gobert more money than any other team.

Tangent: I think if the Jazz have some great years and have the opportunity to spend the capspace on another serious player, I think Gobert would give up a big chunk of his super-max. I wouldn’t bet on it, but I wouldn’t dismiss the possibility. I also think much more strongly that Ingles on his next deal could be very cheap.

First off, I just hope Conley ops in.

Donovan is eligible for and will want and deserve his 5 year/$170 million extension July 1 of next summer and he’s going to get it. He’s not saying....”yeah I’ll risk injury and 5-year $170 million and my first big pay day so we can have cap space” get real. You want to sour that relationship? Let him hit RFA or make him wait a year before you offer him, he’ll take that disrespect and leave the second he gets a chance or ask to be traded the second things get a little sideways. No. You offer Donovan his 5 year $170 million extension with a smile on July 1 of next summer. This isn’t debatable btw. Yeah put off paying Donovan.....that’s one of the dumbest things I’ve heard....at least if you want him to be here.

As for Rudy idk when the extension comes. He’s had his 1st big pay day so it won’t be as pressing.

With Royce, I think he ends up hitting RFA next summer and the Jazz just match the offer he gets(most likely). I just don’t see them coming to an agreement because I can see why both sides would want to wait and see how the season goes. I would love if they got it done before the season started but I just don’t see it happening for several reasons. As a side note Royce has the exact same agent as Donovan.

First off, I just hope Conley ops in.

Donovan is eligible for and will want and deserve his 5 year/$170 million extension July 1 of next summer and he’s going to get it. He’s not saying....”yeah I’ll risk injury and 5-year $170 million and my first big pay day so we can have cap space” get real. You want to sour that relationship? Let him hit RFA or make him wait a year before you offer him, he’ll take that disrespect and leave the second he gets a chance or ask to be traded the second things get a little sideways. No. You offer Donovan his 5 year $170 million extension with a smile on July 1 of next summer. This isn’t debatable btw. Yeah put off paying Donovan.....that’s one of the dumbest things I’ve heard....at least if you want him to be here.

As for Rudy idk when the extension comes. He’s had his 1st big pay day so it won’t be as pressing.

With Royce, I think he ends up hitting RFA next summer and the Jazz just match the offer he gets(most likely). I just don’t see them coming to an agreement because I can see why both sides would want to wait and see how the season goes. I would love if they got it done before the season started but I just don’t see it happening for several reasons. As a side note Royce has the exact same agent as Donovan.
You’re the resident conspiracy theorist/alarmist, right?

If Donovan is even half the hero we think he is, he wouldn’t take trying to build the best team around him as an unforgivable insult.

You’re the resident conspiracy theorist/alarmist, right?

If Donovan is even half the hero we think he is, he wouldn’t take trying to build the best team around him as an unforgivable insult.
This isn't a questionable thing. It. Will. Not. Happen. Nor should he be asked to. The injury risk is not worth it to him at all, and yes it is an unforgivable insult. He isn't going to sit here and watch Ben Simmons, Devin Booker, and Jamal Murray,etc. get their max extensions and just be okay with him being the guy asked to wait on that extension. Don't be ridiculous. The cap space is unfortunately going to be gone, luckily it will be being used on 2 great players. Donovan's still a hero, he's just going to want what he rightfully deserves and he's going to want it as soon as it can be offered just like all his peers.

This isn't a questionable thing. It. Will. Not. Happen. Nor should he be asked to. The injury risk is not worth it to him at all, and yes it is an unforgivable insult. He isn't going to sit here and watch Ben Simmons, Devin Booker, and Jamal Murray,etc. get their max extensions and just be okay with him being the guy asked to wait on that extension. Don't be ridiculous. The cap space is unfortunately going to be gone, luckily it will be being used on 2 great players. Donovan's still a hero, he's just going to want what he rightfully deserves and he's going to want it as soon as it can be offered just like all his peers.
Jesus, you are just the most scared little thing.

I’ve got the next hit for you to keep you going until the next fix.

Jesus, you are just the most scared little thing.
Realistic. He’s not going to be fine with his peers getting paid by their perspective teams the second they can give it to them and then being told by his front office (who tbh he’s done more for than those other guys) that he’ll have to wait a year before they guarantee that money for him. It’s not just bad business, it’s an incredibly dumb proposition. He could have a terrible injury 5 games into the 2020-21 season and never get his max money. He is not taking that risk for cap space, and if you ask him to he’ll remember it. Hayward was not a fan of the whole go get your own deal thing. Luckily the Jazz FO realizes Donovan’s value and the value of keeping that relationship in good standing and will give him his extension next summer, and won’t be dumb enough to put it off and leave a scar on that relationship.

Ingles maybe getting older, but we will use him better this year. We have other shooters around him, and we can limit his minutes. I think this really helps us come playoff time when he is fresh, and deadly.

Conley, Bojan, haven't even suited up for their first game and you're already talking about THE exit?? What negativity to bring into the best free agency year in Jazz history! Ya'll are talking about NOT getting a championship and Conley, Ingles, Bojan aging and moving on! But when we had Hayward, Favors and Burks, y'all were talking that "Hayward is God" and he would lead us to a championship. Is this thread for real? Your writing off the season without any hope before the season starts?? Now, you want to be a critique But when Hayward was on the team, there was a lot of fans talking about how we were a "championship team" (when we were not!)

Is there nobody here that wants to take a calculated risk and say that this is the year we destroy and take home the chip? I'm proud to say it. This is the year. It sure would be nice if the fans supported our team instead of talking about exits before our new additions even suit up.

Conley, Bojan, haven't even suited up for their first game and you're already talking about THE exit?? What negativity to bring into the best free agency year in Jazz history! Ya'll are talking about NOT getting a championship and Conley, Ingles, Bojan aging and moving on! But when we had Hayward, Favors and Burks, y'all were talking that "Hayward is God" and he would lead us to a championship. Is this thread for real? Your writing off the season without any hope before the season starts?? Now, you want to be a critique But when Hayward was on the team, there was a lot of fans talking about how we were a "championship team" (when we were not!)

Is there nobody here that wants to take a calculated risk and say that this is the year we destroy and take home the chip? I'm proud to say it. This is the year. It sure would be nice if the fans supported our team instead of talking about exits before our new additions even suit up.

I’m with you Slapper, 100% !!!

Realistic. He’s not going to be fine with his peers getting paid by their perspective teams the second they can give it to them and then being told by his front office (who tbh he’s done more for than those other guys) that he’ll have to wait a year before they guarantee that money for him. It’s not just bad business, it’s an incredibly dumb proposition. He could have a terrible injury 5 games into the 2020-21 season and never get his max money. He is not taking that risk for cap space, and if you ask him to he’ll remember it. Hayward was not a fan of the whole go get your own deal thing. Luckily the Jazz FO realizes Donovan’s value and the value of keeping that relationship in good standing and will give him his extension next summer, and won’t be dumb enough to put it off and leave a scar on that relationship.
There is nothing analogous to Mitchell’s and Hayward’s situation and it says a lot about your position that you think there is.

But to be clear, I’d offer the extension and say, “it’s important you know how much we value you, but know we’re also serious about putting the best team around you,” then promise he’ll get his max money if he decides to forego the extension, but still have the extension out there. 2021 is going to be the last chance to get more serious help and that would be the most integral component of having space since it essentially generates space instead of just opening it.

Not trying doesn’t do anyone a service and the track record of the organization working for a players wishes instead of with them is rather poor.

Last edited:
The Jazz were right to treat Hayward like a borderline star. He _was_ a borderline star.

Did Hayward get pissed and try to screw the Jazz? Yep.

Who had to flip the bill for Hayward's last two years? Not the Jazz, thank God.

Mitchell is smarter than that. But even if he wasn't, he's never going to be asked to go out and establish his market value. Because he's not a borderline star.

Does anyone seriously think he's going to look around at other early extensions and get butt-hurt? Dude knows he's going to get paid. He's smart enough to want the team to be as competitive as possible at the same time.

Pretending that he has the mentality of a guy like Westbrook is just stupid.

The Jazz were right to treat Hayward like a borderline star. He _was_ a borderline star.

Did Hayward get pissed and try to screw the Jazz? Yep.

Who had to flip the bill for Hayward's last two years? Not the Jazz, thank God.

Mitchell is smarter than that. But even if he wasn't, he's never going to be asked to go out and establish his market value. Because he's not a borderline star.

Does anyone seriously think he's going to look around at other early extensions and get butt-hurt? Dude knows he's going to get paid. He's smart enough to want the team to be as competitive as possible at the same time.

Pretending that he has the mentality of a guy like Westbrook is just stupid.
Again, if Mitchell is half the hero we think he is, he won’t behave as irrationally and insecurely as @oneye is suggesting.

Mitchell is so much more than a great basketball player. If you dig too deep into the numbers, you might come away with the impression that the numbers don’t even make that great a case. WHO he is is as much the reason to have hope as anything else.

I would just like to add that the odds he has an injury that would cause the Jazz to not offer the max is virtually 0. I don’t even know what that injury would be? Players that young very rarely injure their Achilles, he’d recover from an ACL, etc. He’s getting that contract.

Last edited: