This pisses me off real bad

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
https://www.ksl.com/article/4675638...-us-places-over-past-decade-census-data-shows

All these people are probably moving here due to low crime, better commutes (low traffic), beautiful mountains, to have a bit of space, etc.
Well if this keeps up then all of those things that make Utah great will disappear.
I don't want to live in a big city. Don't want SLC and the surrounding areas to turn into LA, Houston, Chicago, etc etc.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

It sure feels like a big city to me -- too big for me. Even though I had a visited a few times, I was surprised at how large and congested SLC actually is, and still growing.

As a former SLC resident and current resident of LA, let me drop some uncomfortable knowledge on the small and mid-sized towns in the rest of the western USA:

I grew up hearing laments about LA—and I still hear them (relentlessly) from friends, family, and strangers. They’ll start moaning about LA right to my face right after I tell them I live there (which is a rude thing to do, let’s be honest).

But the exact things that made Los Angeles into “LA” are being pursued by decision-makers at every level in these other places. All of them are a bit more like LA every time I visit them, and will continue to track in that direction as long as:

1. Real Estate continues to be a focal point of value creation and banking

2. assumptions about Energy (it’s availability and costs [which are heavily subsidized by the tax-paying apparatus]) continue along in such a way that the suburban landscape is sprawled out and requires a continuously expanding energy grid, wider roads and more cars to access things

3. people allow Entertainment to capture non-work hours (by this I mean televisual or film-based Entertainment, which has taken over other forms of entertainment).

LA has a very clear track record for whomever cares enough to understand it. You’d certainly think that with all the hatred toward LA, it would be widely studied and understood. The track record shows the ascension and dominance of the Real Estate, Energy, and Entertainment Industries. How are they doing in your city right now?

Resistance to Los Angelesization doesn’t involve a complex strategy. But peoples’ selfish desires are right in-line with LA. There’s a nativist streak happening in Boise right now, but nearly every person is thrilled with the $50k+ equity that has accrued to their home, and they are willing to defend that as Real Money that will be added to with more Real Money. That’s basically all it takes because Energy and Entertainment have already arrived. Do we expect the residence of Boise to change course? The same thing in SLC.

No. Every person who is not actively resisting and making those issues the focus of electoral politics is going to get what’s coming. I’ll let you all decide whether or not they deserve it.

I agree with you NAOS. You basically described Las Vegas to a tee. The only difference here is that some people lament "Californication" while quietly craving everything that California has. There's a reason some people call Vegas "East L.A." - we have a lot of CA transplants, and we get a lot of CA people on holiday. Now we're getting the Raiders too (not a fan) which will only hasten developments. Personally, I'm also in favor of the growth, as we own a small business here and are looking to buy a house soon. This is home and has been for 17 years going.

ETA: Resistance is Futile

https://www.ksl.com/article/4675638...-us-places-over-past-decade-census-data-shows

All these people are probably moving here due to low crime, better commutes (low traffic), beautiful mountains, to have a bit of space, etc.
Well if this keeps up then all of those things that make Utah great will disappear.
I don't want to live in a big city. Don't want SLC and the surrounding areas to turn into LA, Houston, Chicago, etc etc.

Sorry but it is already too late. I lived in Utah in the late 80s and returned in the 90s for a visit and was blown away how much it has changed. Last year I went back and i felt like i was in Orange County CA. i went to college at BYU and I barely recognized Provo and Utah County and SLC. It was crazy. I felt like I had never lived there. It was a little depressing. Like another life and not mine.

Sorry but it is already too late. I lived in Utah in the late 80s and returned in the 90s for a visit and was blown away how much it has changed. Last year I went back and i felt like i was in Orange County CA. i went to college at BYU and I barely recognized Provo and Utah County and SLC. It was crazy. I felt like I had never lived there. It was a little depressing. Like another life and not mine.
Since I moved here 30 years ago, food has come a long way, ammeniame have come a long way, hospitals have come a long way, and the Jazz don't play in the Salt Palace anymore.

Like my boss used to say...If you're not growing, you're dying.

And we did. We grew to be the largest company of their sector in the state.

Of course that company did go bankrupt a few years ago. So there's that...

This kind of thing makes Ogden kind of nice. The physical landscape makes it difficult for much more sprawl.
Other than Ogden is tweekerville, I like it.

Better have a fence around your (humble) property and don't show off your wealth to passerbys.

Nice laid back small townish center.

Last edited:
This kind of thing makes Ogden kind of nice. The physical landscape makes it difficult for much more sprawl.
I think the nature of the Wasatch Front preventing sprawl is on reason for such bad traffic. In flat places, you can expand in all directions. In northern Utah, you’re restricted by the mountains and, in Utah County, the lake. So the growth expands north and south. And you end up with a bunch of houses that are stacked on top of each other.

Is there much room for growth between SLC and Park City? I seem to recall mountains on either side of me on that major road I was on...think it was three lanes on either side.

Is there much room for growth between SLC and Park City? I seem to recall mountains on either side of me on that major road I was on...think it was three lanes on either side.
There is none. Salt Lake County owns of the land all the way up to the summit. It is a watershed area. Salt Lake gets its drinking water from watersheds, as no rivers run through this area. You can't even hike with your gig there.

What's amazes me about it is that immediately outside of the million or so people that live in the Salt Lake Valley, there is a vast, untouched and beautiful land. Awesome to drive through it.

Just over the summit is a different watershed and the building starts right away as you go towards Park City.

Not really cause of the mountains like you said but little by little the mountains are being developed too which pisses me off the most.

I doubt I will even go camping a few years from now due to the crowds

It amuses me when people complain about the growth here. We have larger than average family sizes. Where did everyone think those kids were going to live when they grew up? And then they have large families. We don't even need people to move in to have a lot of growth.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

Other than Ogden is tweekerville, I like it.

Better have a fence around your (humble) property and don't show off your wealth to passerbys.

Nice laid back small townish center.
The outskirts are where it's at. South Ogden, Washington terrace, and certain areas are fine. Just directly downtown is shady, and even that isn't that bad. The first house we bought was at the mouth of Ogden canyon and it was a really nice area, and still is. I have other relatives that live close to Harrison boulevard generally in central Ogden, like between 36th Street and 20th Street, and those areas are pretty nice as well. Older homes but with a little bit of charm, and generally the neighborhoods are decent. Having now live extended periods of time out of the state and having spent plenty of time in truly rough areas, by comparison Ogden really isn't too bad.

The outskirts are where it's at. South Ogden, Washington terrace, and certain areas are fine. Just directly downtown is shady, and even that isn't that bad. The first house we bought was at the mouth of Ogden canyon and it was a really nice area, and still is. I have other relatives that live close to Harrison boulevard generally in central Ogden, like between 36th Street and 20th Street, and those areas are pretty nice as well. Older homes but with a little bit of charm, and generally the neighborhoods are decent. Having now live extended periods of time out of the state and having spent plenty of time in truly rough areas, by comparison Ogden really isn't too bad.

Compton?

Other than in some of the valley's headed towards Park City, there really isn't much livable space there, due to the mountains. My son-in-law's family live near Park City, his extended family owned several ranches there, they grow cattle, so obviously they could turn the ranch space into homes, but there really isn't a huge demand to build where they live. They live in Midway, and there are a couple of other small areas like that on the way to Park City, but from what they tell me they don't get a lot of draw for new homes being built.

It amuses me when people complain about the growth here. We have larger than average family sizes. Where did everyone think those kids were going to live when they grew up? And then they have large families. We don't even need people to move in to have a lot of growth.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app
All of that it's true. Not sure why that should make it so I'm not able to complain about it. It a good explanation for why it could be happening. Still sucks though.
(Fwiw I'm in my 40's and only have 1 kid so I'm doing my part )