What's new

Thoughts the morning after - 10/28/10

Then why countinue to come here if we are of inferior intellect to yourself? I thought you said you were outty once before? Anyways no one is saying the sky is falling, but if you were not frustrated by the play last night.....then damn.

What about my post claimed that I was of superior intellect, project much? I was frustrated as hell last night by the game. But some of the comments border on ridiculous sometimes. Anyone who knows basketball knows that the preseason doesn't really mean squat. There is a clear intensity players normally have once the regular season begins. The Jazz didn't have it last night.

It is going to take some games for the team to gel. My point in making the reactionary comment is that many people have unrealistic expectations.

Mainly I'm just kickin my own damn self for bettin the crib, the car, and the chillin that the Jazz would go 82-0. I kinda knew that was a mistake when I done it, but I just couldn't resist with the great odds I was gittin: 2 to 1!

The "killer" stat I heard was: At halftime, our backcourt had 14 points combined, and the team had 15 turnovers... We definitely played out of control way too much. Guess it'll take a while to mesh, with 6 new guys on the roster. <deep breath>...
I did like the fact all 12 active players actually got to play over 10 minutes. Good move by Sloan!!
Yeah, I had reservations using CJ as our 6th man. IMO, the 6th man needs a more well-rounded game; CJ is not even a consistant enough scorer and still can't play D. He still can get a little crazy with his shot selection... I also think we have a problem with replacing Millsap's energy in the paint when he was coming off the bench. I'm not sure Elson can do that every game, and Evans at his size can't go very much over 10 MPG at PF.
I really think if they want to start AK, start him at PF and bring Millsap off the bench. AK plays with more energy at PF, and this would get him energized and involved from the start of the game. He can switch to SF later in the game. Millsap plays great off the bench, so I wouldn't mess with that. We don't want him to wear down as a full-time starter...
Last nights rotations were:
PG Williams, Price, Watson
SG Bell, Price
SF Kirilenko, Miles, Hayward
PF Millsap, Evans, Elson
C Jefferson, Fesenko, Elson
I wouldn't bet this is locked in concrete...

I think Millsap should come off the bench because we need his scoring and rebounding. It seems to me that he and Jefferson are getting in each others way. Secondly, I envision Okur being a better option with Jefferson because they can play the inside outside deal. I would move Hayward into the SF and move AK over to PF (his best position) until Okur is healthy.

PG DW Watson Price
SG Bell CJ Price
SF Hayward, Evans
PF AK, Millsap
C Jefferson, Fess, Elson

Of course this lineup is not sent in stone but the second unit is in need of some scoring. There would be some issues with stronger PF/SF but I believe benefits out way the cons. I know Matthews didn't have a very good game last night but our team would be stronger with him as our SG.

I think AK47's wild pass to Raja Bell on the fastbreak in the opening minutes summed it up for us lastnight. Something so simple as a fastbreak dunk/layup couldn't even be executed. AK should have either kept it and gone up hard for the dunk or given Raja a half decent pass.

I hope that we bounce back tonight.

Cowhide, that's a gutsy later-in-the-season-if-the-rookies-look-like-they-can-handle-it lineup, sir. Right now Hayward would struggle big-time on D.
Evans played PF in college, so I suspect that's why they're starting him out as a b/u PF. It seems totally logical to me for him to move to SF at some point. He's skinnier and got younger legs than AK and could become a true lock-down defender there.
Same with CJ at SG, but right now his defense looks... kinda bad, and I'm being kind.
Sloan himself said AK has played some of his best ball at PF. Once these rookies get acclimated, we may very well see a very different lineup and rotation...

Irregardless!

AK did a fine job on Melo. Just got in foul trouble. Offensively to careless with the ball.

...well, I don't what game you were watching, but grading out Klinko both offensively and defensively.....you can't possibly give him anything higher than a D! Offensively he was really an F! I don't see that anything has changed with Klinko from previous years. He's careless with the ball, shoots poorly from the outside....and gambles too much on defense because he can't stay in front of his man! He's not motivated....looks to be uncoachable most of the time...and is the highest paid waste of white perhaps in the league! Perhaps things will change tonight......NOT!

This is a hasty appraisal.

Against teams that have good defenses and know the Jazz's tendencies, the Jazz need a player who can put the ball on the floor, improvise and make something good happen. Matthews actually has some of that ability as a slasher. CJ has to make up for this, but he's not as quick as Matthews.

Watching the game I couldn't get rid of thought that there should be a reason for this "lack of energy and toughness". Periodically we have been seeing such things past season as well. I reckon it has something to do with physical training they go through. Maybe it's too harsh or unbalanced and guys simply unable to recover. Got to a gym to work out legs hard and then try to be active and hoppy next day or even day after. Won't happen. Each and every Denver player was not even half but whole step quicker than most of the Jazz players.
I am pretty much sure if guys wouldn't struggle on defensive end we would be rolling our offence smoothly by 3rd quarter.

It looked to me like Denver was a good defensive team last night and the Jazz got rattled by it. The Jazz didn't really know how to create offense against Denver's first unit. The Jazz haven't developed the go-to plays that they had with Boozer out of the high post. They were a bit disorganized offensively and somehow that translated to the defensive end as well.

What about my post claimed that I was of superior intellect, project much? I was frustrated as hell last night by the game. But some of the comments border on ridiculous sometimes. Anyone who knows basketball knows that the preseason doesn't really mean squat. There is a clear intensity players normally have once the regular season begins. The Jazz didn't have it last night.

It is going to take some games for the team to gel. My point in making the reactionary comment is that many people have unrealistic expectations.

Sooooooo who here thought that the preseason would translate into regular season wins. Again with the superiority complex. What a tool.

Sooooooo who here thought that the preseason would translate into regular season wins. Again with the superiority complex. What a tool.

If your mind cannot grasp a simple concept, I can't help you. See, now THAT is a superiority complex.