What's new

THT 20 LB Weight Loss

I mean... go to the gym and put a 15-20 lb weight vest on and see how fast you run and jump... then do it without and see how fast you run and jump. Being able to run a little faster and jump a little higher makes a difference between a make and a miss sometimes.

I remember when CJ Miles added 10 lbs of muscle and was ready to make the leap that year. . . .for 7 years straight.
Easy, pal. People keep saying this without realizing how young CJ really is. Had he stayed in school, he’d only be two or three years into his career as a cardiothoracic surgeon by now.

this is unprovable... and I don't think you can just rule it out. Look at the jump in Jokic's numbers specifically... weight loss played a clear role in his improvement. He is more nimble and able to do weird one foot jumpers in part because he's not carrying around extra bad weight. In the other cases it might just have been part of what they were working on. In all cases its a good sign they have their **** together and are working on all the things.

Better 3 point shooting? Probably not... but better overall shooting? Sure. Being a half a beat faster turns a circus shot into a normal contested layup. Sooooo much of shooting is in the legs that I don't think you can truly just say being in better shape doesn't affect the jumper. Being able to consistently have your legs under you is key. AD has added weight/muscle and his jump shot has gone in the tank. Could just be coincidence.

I get it... and the improvements aren't mutually exclusive. I just think 20 lbs is significant and should be treated with more than a "meh" if true. We aren't talking about Ochai losing 3 lbs of fat so he has an 8 pack instead of a 6 pack... we are talking about a guy who did good things with the weight he had... now he supposedly has shed 20 lbs of bad weight and those good things will be better. Like if he ends up shooting 10% more of his shots at the rim... and is shooting 10% better on those shots it opens up other things for him and others. Players may play so far off him that his pullup becomes more of a catch and shoot opportunity. Just because something is a strength doesn't mean it can't be improved and in fact it might have more ability to be improved.

Showing a clear sign of measurable improvement on something is not something I would "meh" as a fan... it shows they are in the gym working... I assume they know they are basketball players and not cross fit champs and are likely doing the other work too. If they are getting results on their body I wouldn't be surprised to see them getting results on the skills... its just hard for someone to report in the offseason that they have added 5% to their 3 point shot ya know.

I feel comfortable ruling out weight loss as a key factor in THT's shooting and decision making development as well as the players you mentioned, but to each their own.

Getting in better shape makes you a better basketball player. It's a very different thing from skill development for me. Never have I ever saw a player that sucked at shooting and thought....man he really needs to lose weight and that will fix it. IMO, THT is a classic case of a good athlete with low skill ability. It's not a bad thing to go from good to great as an athlete, of course, but if a player desperately needs to improve his shooting and/or decision making his weight is one of the last things I will think about in terms of that development. If a guy can't shoot, his weight is one of the last things I would find myself blaming it on. This is especially the case for a guy like THT who desperately needs to be able to make wide open stand still jumpers. Someone like Keyonte is a different story, where he needs to be able to create more separation because the defense is breathing down his neck when he's shooting. But even in Keyonte's case, I wouldn't say he became a better shooter I'd just say he's a better athlete.

It's a good thing if THT is in better shape, but IMO his body was already his best attribute and what he really needs to succeed is improving his shooting/decision making which won't be improved by simply losing weight. I can see your point about it being a good sign that he's working hard on all parts of his game. I simply think the weight "issues" THT has have been overblown and that the key his success lies in his skill development.

I remember when CJ Miles added 10 lbs of muscle and was ready to make the leap that year. . . .for 7 years straight.
The next MJ, I swear!! He has what it takes to be the GOAT!! Just give him a little more time, remember that one game? Yeah, that's the stuff! And DedEx is the Harden Stopper, no one can score on him!!

DedEx is the Harden Stopper, no one can score on him!!
It’s actually true. Name one person who scored on him in 2015-2016. I’ll wait. And very, very few people scored on him since then. I bet you can’t name a single person who scored on him the past couple years.

I feel comfortable ruling out weight loss as a key factor in THT's shooting and decision making development as well as the players you mentioned, but to each their own.

Getting in better shape makes you a better basketball player. It's a very different thing from skill development for me. Never have I ever saw a player that sucked at shooting and thought....man he really needs to lose weight and that will fix it. IMO, THT is a classic case of a good athlete with low skill ability. It's not a bad thing to go from good to great as an athlete, of course, but if a player desperately needs to improve his shooting and/or decision making his weight is one of the last things I will think about in terms of that development. If a guy can't shoot, his weight is one of the last things I would find myself blaming it on. This is especially the case for a guy like THT who desperately needs to be able to make wide open stand still jumpers. Someone like Keyonte is a different story, where he needs to be able to create more separation because the defense is breathing down his neck when he's shooting. But even in Keyonte's case, I wouldn't say he became a better shooter I'd just say he's a better athlete.
I'm not sure how you can separate things this distinctly lol. Its really not how things work. For example... Kyle Korver's shooting and athletic training was intertwined because one affects the other. And you just presented a great example of weight loss and improvement yourself. While it may not affect Key's open three point shots... he is a better shooter with more separation... you get more separation when you are faster... the shots might be layups or middies... but that separation also helps him have bigger passing lanes and would open them up earlier... all the stuff is connected and I would actually be shocked if improvement in the body didn't improve his performance of certain skills. Stand still three pointers? Maybe or maybe not... but distilling it down to body improvement not helping that one particular thing... kinda silly.

It's a good thing if THT is in better shape, but IMO his body was already his best attribute and what he really needs to succeed is improving his shooting/decision making which won't be improved by simply losing weight. I can see your point about it being a good sign that he's working hard on all parts of his game. I simply think the weight "issues" THT has have been overblown and that the key his success lies in his skill development.
I wonder if you play or if you played in the past... its exaggerated because I'm not an nba athlete and am older but the difference between my game at 205 and 225 is DRAMATIC. Its amazing how much my decision making and shot making improve when I am able to get to my spots with more ease. I'm sure NBA players the difference is sooooo much smaller but its all connected. If it wasn't his number 1 issue I get it... but if it helps him with all his strengths, will have some impact on most of his other issues, and does not take away from anything else he has or is working on... well I think that is more than a "meh". To each their own.

Your nervous system job is to perform any certain action with the least amount of energy possible.

This is why we sometimes drop our phones.

Loss of excess weight would dramatically increase the effectiveness of any mobility skills or skill sets.

Gaining 20lbs of muscle? Helps with muscle mind contraction aka increase in Motor neurons.

When I dropped from 15ish% body fat down to 10ish%, I felt the difference in everything I did. From golf to cycling. @HH is right here. Again. @KqWIN isn't. Again.

Everyone has different optimal set point where they feel best at. There is no universal body % that is the "most athletic". Most people tank performance at anything under 15%, some can do 12, very few can do 10, and it works the opposite spectrum as well. We will see how if it helps/hurts THT.

Everyone has different optimal set point where they feel best at. There is no universal body % that is the "most athletic". Most people tank performance at anything under 15%, some can do 12, very few can do 10, and it works the opposite spectrum as well. We will see how if it helps/hurts THT.
Not disagreeing with you here, but the point is that losing 20 lbs has a global effect. In other words, it's a change that effects the whole.

Post-ASB he shot 39% from 3 on C&S with 2 attempts per game.

Pre-ASB he shot 25% on 1.5 per game.

In January he shot 39% on C&S as well, and 41% in February.

And it's all just taking what the defense gives him on C&S. It's also probably a decent argument as to why you dont want him to be the starting PG because his OTD 3pt shooting is putrid.
Thats better than i expected. Thanks for the info.

I'll also add this: he likely lost 10 lbs from when we last saw him if the 20 lbs figure was obtained from training camp/start of season weigh in to now.

He most likely lost 10 lbs during the season and then lost another 10 during the off-season,. Losing 20 lbs over the last 2.5 months would be pretty wild for someone who wasnt that overweight.

There's a scenario where THT's shot is actually more off because the fine motor movements aren't calibrated to his new body. But I'm not saying that's likely, and I would generally be on the team that thinks you just perform better all-around when you're in better shape (in part because it reflects a certain level of focus and commitment that generally will aid anyone in things they do, especially physical things).