What's new

THT Will Be The Starting PG

I remember a few podcasts that talked about THT being the starting point guard to start the year due to his expiring contract to try to get his trade value up until Keyonte is ready to take over. I know Sarah Todd mentioned that also.

Based on the current preseason sample I would agree. Dunn seems to be the only valid alternative here. I'm just hoping the other starter will be Clarkson in either case.

Hopefully we get an extended look of Dunn with the starting frontcourt in the next preseason game.

I remember a few podcasts that talked about THT being the starting point guard to start the year due to his expiring contract to try to get his trade value up until Keyonte is ready to take over. I know Sarah Todd mentioned that also.
That's not what she said

I think Dunn and THT should start. Keyonte and Clark off the bench. Then I don't really know what to do with Sexton. Ochai is also lost to the bench a bit.

We really need a consolidation trade. There's a lot of decent players that are good enough for minutes that can't get them. But not a lot of clear cut above average starters that we need besides the obvious one/s.

It's definitly an issue. We have too many PG but not a very good one. Which is mandatory if you want to compete. Considering what we have, THT and JC should start. Dunn/Keyonte in second unit and trade Sexton if we can.

She said they might start THT so they know what they have so they can make a decision on him. Right now that decision is trending towards re-sign.

I think Dunn and THT should start. Keyonte and Clark off the bench. Then I don't really know what to do with Sexton. Ochai is also lost to the bench a bit.

We really need a consolidation trade. There's a lot of decent players that are good enough for minutes that can't get them. But not a lot of clear cut above average starters that we need besides the obvious one/s.
Thr Jazz tried to get Jrue but he wouldn't commit long term. There just aren't a ton of high level PGs available currently.

You also want to get someone who is going to fit long term with Keyonte, so that eliminates some potential more ball dominant PGs.

That, if you start Kessler as well, leaves you with three sub-par shooters in the starting line up. That's a recipe for failure.

She said they might start THT so they know what they have so they can make a decision on him. Right now that decision is trending towards re-sign.
He is 22 and is clearly progressing under Hardy, it is definitely fair to say its trending that way.

If I think about the early 2022-23 THT who drove us to madness, its fairly obvious he has made big strides. The ratio of "wtf" vs "wow" moments used to be like 3:1, and now its closer to 1:3. Not an exact science though, just a gut feeling/memory.

He is 22 and is clearly progressing under Hardy, it is definitely fair to say its trending that way.

If I think about the early 2022-23 THT who drove us to madness, its fairly obvious he has made big strides. The ratio of "wtf" vs "wow" moments used to be like 3:1, and now its closer to 1:3. Not an exact science though, just a gut feeling/memory.
I’d say it’s gone from 3:1 to 1:1 but it’s really not two preseason games. I don’t mind the layup attempts that go poorly… sometimes you drive and get stuck… it happens. It’s the early pull-up three on top of the bad drive. Like if he just dials stuff back and not shoots threes off open spot ups or with the shot clock going down then he’d be fine. I also think these lineups Hardy is throwing out are trashy trash. Put THT with Ochai/JC/Keyonte and I think it’s better than what we are getting with this sexton THT. It really feels like Hardy is a saboteur for some weird purpose.

I’d say it’s gone from 3:1 to 1:1 but it’s really not two preseason games. I don’t mind the layup attempts that go poorly… sometimes you drive and get stuck… it happens. It’s the early pull-up three on top of the bad drive. Like if he just dials stuff back and not shoots threes off open spot ups or with the shot clock going down then he’d be fine. I also think these lineups Hardy is throwing out are trashy trash. Put THT with Ochai/JC/Keyonte and I think it’s better than what we are getting with this sexton THT. It really feels like Hardy is a saboteur for some weird purpose.
I can see that. I was just pretty impressed with some of the stuff I saw and didnt facepalm nearly as often. Maybe the truth is closer to your 1:1 but it has still exceeded my expectations. Also one important point is I dont think he has shot a single wide open stepback 3 yet.

The stats also look nice:
46 minutes total, 37 points on 14/31 FG (not great, but good compared to last year), 5/14 on 3 pointers, 10 rebounds and 8 assists to 3 turnovers.

But I totally agree lineups have been weird, as was starting another game with THT/Sexton after they obviously had some chemistry issues with that lineup in Hawaii. But Hardy is experimenting for sure. I mean I think at one point we had Dunn, THT, Keyonte, Lauri and KO on the court together. Not a rotation lineup that I had on my bingo card.

I think they are just letting Sexton get a shot because he does have enough talent to warrant a chance.

It is tough to figure the the starting pg right now. Sexton and THT were both mediocre again when playing with the starters and that front court isn't helping right now. THT got going later but that was mostly against the clippers end of bench guys when the game was far more open and wild. Hopefully we see a switch up next game because they don't compliment each other and the frontcourt spacing is just exacerbating the problem.

It is tough to figure the the starting pg right now. Sexton and THT were both mediocre again when playing with the starters and that front court isn't helping right now. THT got going later but that was mostly against the clippers end of bench guys when the game was far more open and wild. Hopefully we see a switch up next game because they don't compliment each other and the frontcourt spacing is just exacerbating the problem.
This frontcourt spacing nonsense has to stop. Not directed at you but I just keep hearing this when we have had a look at the spacing on two games already.

These are our first 4 offensive possessions from last game:

Jazz1.JPGJazz2.JPGJazz3.JPGJazz4.JPG

THE PAINT IS LITERALLY EMPTY ON 3 OF THEM. Only in the last one where they sag off THT and its more clogged. Yet even on that instance its not our front court that is clogging anything.

I came into the preseason thinking it would be Dunn and really nothing has changed my mind on that yet. If they are going to successfully incorporate John Collins early on I would think the steadier player might be the best choice as the starting PG at least to begin the season. They can't have THT hoisting step back 3's early in the shot clock. Say what you want about Collins' fit during the first 2 preseason games but Atlanta never could get him to fit long term next to other non-shooting bigs such as Capela.

It's pretty clear at least to me Keyonte might already be the best PG on the roster and it's just a matter of time before Hardy is comfortable enough to start the rook. IOW whoever begins as the opening day PG might be very temporary as it's going to be Keyonte's job in short order. Reading the tea leaves it also appears Keyonte and Ochai are likely the eventual starting backcourt by midseason unless they make a deal for a bigger fish.

Clarkson, Sexton, and THT are all varying types of combo guards and I'm assuming 2 of them get dealt by the deadline. The one left standing, don't really care which one, can be the long term 6th man.