What's new

Thurl Bailey vs Matt Harpring

Who Do You Prefer?

• Total voters

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
For anyone who has been watching, the pre-season has featured Thurl Bailey as the color commentator instead of Harpring.

Personally, I think Bailey is way too dull. I know a lot of people cringe at Harpring, but at least he is high energy.

For anyone who has been watching, the pre-season has featured Thurl Bailey as the color commentator instead of Harpring.

Personally, I think Bailey is way too dull. I know a lot of people cringe at Harpring, but at least he is high energy.
I BELIEVE this has happened in past years where they have a fill-in color commentator until the regular season when Harpring comes back

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app

And it's not that Bailey is bad. He isn't Brown, but he just sounds incredibly average. 0 humor factor.

He's got a deep yet monotonous voice. He could use a pre workout, pre games though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

"Mute" is a fantastic feature on the remote.
Of course, Jazz had probably the 2nd best play-by-play guy in the league history so kind of spoiled. I'd say #1 but truth is, Hot Rod stole a lot of his material from Chick Hearn.

I like Harpring. I don't get the beef people have with him. He definitely has his cheesy as hell moments, but he's fairly objective for a local commentator. He'll actually call a foul a foul.

Boler makes anyone next to him worse. Bailey hasn’t been great, but “great” was impossible because of the pilot.

"3 ball! no it's a layup. They give him a layup Matty. Or was that a free throw Matty? Matty I think theyre calling it a free throw. They give him one point, yep it's a free throw".

The guy probably watches the score board during commercial breaks and continues his play-by-play, commenting on scoring drought.

Last edited:
"3 ball! no it's a layup. They give him a layup Matty. Or was that a free throw Matty? Matty I think theyre calling it a free throw. They give him one point, yep it's a free throw".

The guy probably watches the score board during commercial breaks and continues his play-by-play, commenting on scoring doubt.
I think Bolerjack legitimately said "lays it up for 3" during the broadcast last night.

As for color commentator goes I look forward to the day Joe Ingles steps into that spot. (I want a long career playing first).

He would be the best with his humor and accent.

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app
plus 1 i want joe to be a jazzman for live. and i want him to score 50 on the clippers or on doc rivers coached team once! just as a sweet sweet revenge

Matt one time said something about jazz offense . It was during millsap big al daysThat was something else. “Do we have beep any offense” lol

Yeah, agree with the OP. Thurl is way too low-key to add much color. It's better to have someone with some personality, even if it's not an entirely great personality.

There are people who don’t try to teach you “facts”, but still manage to show you something about rhetoric or charm or whathaveyou. Boler doesn’t have these qualities either.