What's new

Time for eating some crow

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner
I was wrong on Ricky and the trade. You don't usually get this type of player at pick 20 and he's more than justified his price point and our coaching staff has improved his game in multiple ways to make what I considered a very questionable(might have called it "horrible" a time or two :oops: ) fit work. I'm done doubting what DL and the coaches see in players and their belief in their ability to fix/adjust/improve the way those players perform in our system. Ricky's been better than Hill was last year and especially in the playoffs and especially defensively. Ricky might have an argument for being our MVP in our second half of the season. What a tremendous season. Full respect to Ricky for sticking with it and never giving up even when things looked bleak. He just kept working through it and we are now reaping the rewards. :)

I'm gonna gladly eat this tasty tasty crow...
images.jpeg

I've eaten crow a couple of times already, but I guess I might as well go for thirds in an official thread about it. My apologies to Ricky. I am in awe that he has turned things around within a season. I now can see that he is great for the Jazz.

The thing is I still assume he is going to have horrible shooting games. But he has demonstrated over 18 months (by and large) that the horrible shooting games will be the anomaly. So I guess I too need to believe that this is the player he is....

It's just crazy good. I honestly wonder how far the team can go if Rubio plays this well. He is perhaps the most important player on this team right now..... Ok, probably always will be Gobert. But when your floor general can be this dangerous off the dribble - man!!

I was doubting some too but it is really amazing how far Ricky has come. Just goes to show you that it is never too late to improve. Kudos to Ricky for working on his shot. If he plays this well the Jazz can compete with any team. The other thing is Ricky is not overwhelmed with the moment. He has led his team to great victories in international play. I have complete confidence in him.

I don't recall ever being on the trade Ricky wagon but there were some real doubts early in the year. Kudos to Ricky though, I don't think anyone on the board questioned his heart or work ethic. Quin and the staff deserve some credit for unleashing the beast inside of Ricky while putting him in positions to succeed on the court. Without Ricky we would all just be sitting at home rooting against the Sixers to help deal with the misery of the Jazz missing the playoffs.

Was gonna write something similar. I didn't like the fit either but without Rubio, we would be in a much different situation currently. He & Snyder both deserve a ton of credit for the improvements/integration into the offense. DL as well for identifying the untapped potential & cultural fit.

I give Rubio every credit he's due. But here's the thing: Quin told him to look for his shot and score more. Be aggressive. Against six seasons of evidence to the contrary, Ricky suddenly added a semi-lethal 3 ball to this game. I figured it would take a full season for him to develop that (which would been a credit to Ricky's work ethic and Quin's development program), but half a season? Quin probably saw something that just needed to be tweaked. If it's confidence, a simple mechanically tweak that needed to be drilled into muscle memory, or something else entirely; it doesn't matter. Just an amazing thing. I've eaten crow a few times. But I'll go back to the buffet.

I've always liked Ricky, but I haven't stepped up to defend him the way I should have. He was on a hill, surrounded by enemy gunfire, and I just watched. Hoping. Was I hoping that he would survive, or that I wouldn't have to see a horrible demise. I'm not sure. I don't know if I can ever forgive myself for my inaction, but knowing Ricky, I think he has already forgiven me. At least, I hope he has because given the level of his determination, if he wants to get even with me then I'm ****ed.

To be fair, 90% of fans would be happy to trade Rubio away for a bag of chips in December. It's why fans are fans and people like DL and Coach Q are professionals. Since I became sure of their competence a few years ago I decided not to question their choices and actions.. and hence "IN DL and Q WE TRUST"

I’ve gone back and forth and been extremely skeptical during his hot streaks... never a full hater but didn’t like the trade. I’ll have some crow... it tastes like winning so I’ll east it

I was wrong to. I never liked Rubio as a fit with the Players we had. I felt his passing was overrated and his shooting sucked. But man he has turned his shooting around.

Also all I seem to hear about the guy is how great of a person he is.