• Raja

Votes: 42 55.3%
  • Jefferson

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • Millsap

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters
I guess it is time to re-state my idea:
Bring AK AND Bell off of the bench; start CJ and Hayward. I don't think there is any doubt that we have more offensive potential with this unit. The question becomes whether we give up too much in defense. AK is the first guy off the bench for Hayward; Bell subs in for CJ. Their offense should be elevated by playing against second units. They should help protect leads.

alternatively, we could see what it takes to bring Brewer back ;)

NAOS, this takes guts. It takes the want to change things and not keep things status quo. Does Sloan have it in him?

Raja is not good enough to be a full time starter for a contending team imo. One of the biggest holes on the team right imo. Lack of consistent perimeter scoring.

Oh by he way Wes Matthews had 34 pts tonight and 7-10 from 3 pt. line.

I think its common knowledge on here that we made a huge mistake. And if "we didn't have the money" to keep him, then the huge mistake was not dumping AK years ago.

NAOS, this takes guts. It takes the want to change things and not keep things status quo. Does Sloan have it in him?

Good point. The Jazz organization seems a bit complacent and comfortable. Same coach, same assistants, same gm, same results forever. When do you cross the line from continuity to complacency?

I think that AK and Jefferson both play better when they aren't with D-Will to be honest.

I'd like to see a starting lineup of D-Will/Bell/Miles/Sap/Okur (Elson) with Watson/Hayward/AK/AJ/Elson(Fes) off the bench. Three point shooting might be a bit of an issue for that bench however. Perhaps just benching AK for Miles would be best, so Okur could also come off the bench for 3 point shooting.

I think that AK and Jefferson both play better when they aren't with D-Will to be honest.

I'd like to see a starting lineup of D-Will/Bell/Miles/Sap/Okur (Elson) with Watson/Hayward/AK/AJ/Elson(Fes) off the bench. Three point shooting might be a bit of an issue for that bench however. Perhaps just benching AK for Miles would be best, so Okur could also come off the bench for 3 point shooting.

Ronnie Price is gonna get minutes, where do you put him at?

How about starting Fes, and bringing Millsap off the bench?

DWill
Bell
AK
Jefferson
Fes

That does the opposite of what we need. We need more scoring in the starting lineup and a guy who can shoot. Fes gives us less scoring and taking Millsap out actually decreases our ability to score from outside.

I'm surprised that it's taken this long for them to think about it quite frankly. A lot of us were saying that the comebacks, while great, were just masking the problem. I'm still most in favor of Ronnie Price starting in front of Bell. We need juice. Shooting would nice as well, but the juice factor is more of the issue in my mind.

The problems are clear: consistent shooting and control of tempo.

Bell and AK are obviously the first to be moved around for these reasons (and, I suspect, for a few subtle reasons, e.g. the egos of Sap and Al). I've already come out and said that I'd move both of them to the bench, starting CJ and Hayward. I'd soften this and settle for CJ, who would start in front of Bell.

The substitution patterns are also in need of adjustment. I'd take Jefferson out earlier than he has been and spread out his minutes against the opposing team's second unit. This, again, gives us an advantage on the tempo side of things: let the second unit run-and-gun when possible; dump it down to Al on the half-court sets.

In this vein, I support subbing Al back into the game for the final two minutes of quarters. Tell him to dominate on the block. One thing I've liked about the Spurs rotation this year is that they seem very keen to control the end of quarters. Their sub patterns reflect this. We don't seem so keen. Say what you want about Al's struggles this year, I'll put my money on him against any backup 4 or 5.

IMO, we're seeing too much of a REGULAR DIET of RPrice and RBell. These guys have indisputable value to the team, but they should be used SITUATIONALLY.

The problems are clear: consistent shooting and control of tempo.

Bell and AK are obviously the first to be moved around for these reasons (and, I suspect, for a few subtle reasons, e.g. the egos of Sap and Al). I've already come out and said that I'd move both of them to the bench, starting CJ and Hayward. I'd soften this and settle for CJ, who would start in front of Bell.

The substitution patterns are also in need of adjustment. I'd take Jefferson out earlier than he has been and spread out his minutes against the opposing team's second unit. This, again, gives us an advantage on the tempo side of things: let the second unit run-and-gun when possible; dump it down to Al on the half-court sets.

In this vein, I support subbing Al back into the game for the final two minutes of quarters. Tell him to dominate on the block. One thing I've liked about the Spurs rotation this year is that they seem very keen to control the end of quarters. Their sub patterns reflect this. We don't seem so keen. Say what you want about Al's struggles this year, I'll put my money on him against any backup 4 or 5.

IMO, we're seeing too much of a REGULAR DIET of RPrice and RBell. These guys have indisputable value to the team, but they should be used SITUATIONALLY.

Here are the adjusted +/- values this year, we are to the point in the season where they have some meaning.

Jefferson is by far the weakest link on our team. There is a NEAR 40 POINT SWING per 48 minutes with him on the floor compared to Millsap. These two do not compliment each other well, and explains our first quarter woes.
Bell is the next worse, your eyes don't lie. He provides little offense except an occasional three and is an average defender at best nowadays.

https://basketballvalue.com/teamplayers.php?year=2010-2011&team=UTA

Sloan is on record saying that the coaches have been discussing about lineup changes almost every other day.So if all of them have a consensus opinion that nothing should be changed as of now, then I'll give them the benefit of doubt for now. You have to think about the longterm, the playoffs. You cant develop chemistry by benching Al. Some of the ideas I read here are ridiculous(like starting Price. Really?). Al needs to play as much as possible with Deron. AK and Raja are the candidates for benching I feel,but the coaches want to give them some more time for whatever reason. They look at the Ws and Ls and how we finish games and they probably think that the Jazz will figure it out sooner or later.

The rebounding is a bigger issue and I think unless Okur gets back in shape, this wont go away. We dont have strong rebounding guards like a Wade or Ginobli and a 6-8/6-10 tall frontline is bound to get abused on most nights.

Largely I agree with vj_74, with the sole exception being Okur's presence solving the rebounding issue. Sure, he can grab them on occasion, but with the Jazz he's averaged only about 8 rpg.

Otherwise, I agree...I'm inclined to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.

I wouldn't mind seeing this rotation just to see what they could do:

Starters

D Will
Hayward
AK
AJ
Memo

Bench

Watson/Price
Bell/Price
CJ
Millsap
Fes

With that you can mix and match with your 6th man. Hayward would get some burn - he has been at least as good as Bell so far, sadly. AJ and Millsap both would be better alongside a center. You add a true outside threat to the starting lineup - Memo, and maybe 2 if Hayward continues to find his range as he has been. This also lets D Will bring AJ along as he would be the true focal point rather than sharing time with Millsap. And your bench would have it all: leadership, perimeter and post defense, post and outside scoring, and just plain scoring punch.

Memo's minutes could still be limited, subbing in Millsap or Fes as needed to spell him off. Either CJ or Bell could come in to spell off Hayward or AK. I think this gives us a better mix for both the starting group and the bench. At least would be worth a try.